Advice Request AVAST/AVG trustworthy again or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Google Chrome is no longer offered in the installer, and you can choose what components to install (I untick Cleanup, Password Protection, and Do Not Disturb Mode). Unfortunately, the privacy options which allow AVG to share collected data with third parties are still ticked by default; you do not know why AVG had shared before you unticked that options.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Do you consider it ok to install and trust AVAST and or AVG again at this point or not and why? Thanks!
You meant to install Avast/AVG free or paid ?
The free versions has been always one of the best free AVs on the market, I believe it's still the case in terms of overall protection.
Only for reasons of privacy, that might be still an issue for some people...

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
If you have to choose between Avast and AVG, choose AVG which has less bloatware.
From an overall perspective it's not bad, but from my point of view the anti-ransomware component is not the best on the market.

For “rehabilitating” their privacy reputation will probably take some time.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Do you consider it ok to install and trust AVAST and or AVG again at this point or not and why? Thanks!

It will not be by recommendation, because in my perspective are better solution in the market, free and pay.
I think this solution is good for, my mother, she goes to Facebook and see her e-mail, a few internet pages, and it's all.

For a regular user, like you, probably will try to install some script like the "block the Spotify", maybe download some torrent, or script, etc.
I will go for a must robust /aggressive solution like Kaspersky cloud, because it has better detection/disinfection.

At this moment if I don't have KIS i my two systems, I try this for 6 months:

F-Secure SAFE protection for 6 months for free. Protect any 3 of your devices including PC, Mac, smartphones

F-Secure SAFE на 6 месяцев бесплатно. Защита для 3 устройств

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
1. avast forums hacked (all email addresses pwned)
2. ccleaner (owned by avast) became a trojan through their updates
3. avast added background program to collect/upload telemetry (+ who knows what else) that remains running even after uninstalling avast.

No, personally I would not trust them with that track record.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes. It is a safe and trusted security software. Data collection is standard. Upsell ads may tempt users into paying for extra features that you don't actually need to remain Protected.

Between the two, I would pick Avast Free over AVG Free.

However, I don't recommend either due to unnecessary features included in their Free editions. Paid versions are over-rated.

Other trusted vendors for paid security may be more suitable.

Microsoft Defender is also appropriate for most users.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
3. avast added background program to collect/upload telemetry (+ who knows what else) that remains running even after uninstalling avast.
That's been discontinued.

I believe they've improved but could do more and improve transparency, with no default-selected private info sharing, etc.

Nonetheless, I recommend AVG as a good choice for some users.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.