App Review Avast BB + Ransomware Shield Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks for sharing here @Captain Awesome ;) I watched the video just yesterday. Amongst lots of fuss with different samples, some were good to observe.

Regarding the main Ransomware shield demonstration starting at 9:54... It was sad to see the system getting ransomwared like that in presence of a dedicated protection. I'm still not very sure if the Ransomware protection was supposed to be tested like that. The folder protection should have its voice.
I read that there's an option of "Alert mode" for the Folder Shield that may be more useful than the tested default.
The IDP did fairly good though, in presence of a network connection.

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I still don't understand why they don't test with all the components enabled.

The behaviour shield is actually linked with the File Shield in some aspects. I can't go into much detail but I'll give an example. Most of the time zero day malware is already classified in the cloud (old malware is also classified in the cloud). Now here comes the important bit, malware is executed and IDP (behaviour shield) checks the cloud and gets a result that the file is classified as malicious but IDP does this check "asynchronously". This means that the behaviour shield would not block the malware immediately since the File Shield which does the check "synchronously" would have already removed the threat before IDP got involved. File Shield does this query synchronously, e.g. it will block the malware process creation immediately while the query result gets back from the cloud. This is why sometimes some files get encrypted by ransomware before IDP reacts.

Another example would be CyberCapture being linked to the Web Shield.

I'll need to see why the Ransomware Shield didn't react, did the person making the video reboot after enabling the ransomware shield? It could also be the case that it's run under a virtual environment rather than Shadow Defender ? The default mode for Ransomware Shield is "smart" mode so any trusted applications which are trusted via the cloud will be allowed to make changes such as Word etc. Any unknown programs will require user intervention.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I still don't understand why they don't test with all the components enabled.
(...)

I agree with you, especially if the program components are advertised as multi-layered protection. It might not change the outcome in every single case, but I think that it would at least increase the validity of the test.

Reactions: Trooper

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I agree with you, especially if the program components are advertised as multi-layered protection. It might not change the outcome in every single case, but I think that it would at least increase the validity of the test.

Agreed again. If I am a consumer and install it with defaults I am going to get most if not all of the components ready to rock. They need to redo this test with everything enabled and then see how it goes.

Reactions: Transhumana

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I think the commentary makes that video a win in my book lol

All serious Jokes aside The Behavior shield really needs some work maybe kick up the sensitivity i guess?

Wow, that ransomware shield looked like a joke.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It might be a complete joke, but let it fail the test on it's own terms with default settings on, as it was intended to fail. :D:D:D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This concept of protected folders, used by the Ransomware shield, is not a new idea. It has been around for years, and is not very effective against advanced threats. If the malware manages to hide its identity, it will bypass the protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.