App Review Avast CyberCapture

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
L

Lucent Warrior

It only does exe so it still didn't take part in the test. ;)
Which means it will not protect you, as it did not above. Why they release tools like this in products that only protect from "this" and not "that" is beyond me, when they know "this" is not the only thing floating around out there in the wild.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Which means it will not protect you, as it did not above. Why they release tools like this in products that only protect form "this" and not "that" is beyond me, when they know "this" is not the only thing floating around out there in the wild.
I am not saying it will protect you. I am saying the test was of avast as a whole not cybercapture.
EDIT: If you want to test cybercapture you need an exe which you copy to the vm that doesn't get detected and then download the same exe on the test pc and try again.
Anw you are missing the point i am trying to make. I am not defending Avast i am just noting that cybercapture was not working for this test.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
It still didn't test CyberCapture because of non .exe file. But I would just leave CyberCapture alone, it doesn't work well even with exe files. Even if it detect some file, it can take few hours to analyze it. I would say that Avast has too many "good looking in terms of marketing" stuff, like CyberCapture but they are unpolished (for example only exe files support). Avast has potential but devs need to focus on main components, and not stupid things which make Avast overloaded.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Education, education and more education...
Untitled.png

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I just have an issue with stuff like CyberCapture. We would call these things "Wednesday Rules" protection modalities (it will only work on a Wednesday as long as it is Sunny and as long as it is in the Fall and as long as you hear 2 ducks quacking).

In short the usefulness of any protection routine is inversely proportional to the requirements needed for it to work.

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
At the moment CyberCapture only targets exe file types so it wouldn't work lol.

It doesn't need to be from the Avast Browser, you can use any browser you like.

You are correct that CyberCapture at this moment of time doesn't protect against files types such as JS.

It will improve in the future against more file types and the key point here is that although it isn't very effective now, it has potential in the future.

To be honest, I think that even Hardened Mode only targets exe files too even in aggressive mode. That would explain why the js files weren't in the blacklist.

I'd like to see a test against CyberCapture and/or Hardened Mode with exactly the same scenario above but you using some exe files instead.

If it fails then I'd be interested to see what responses I can get from the Avast devs.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I just have an issue with stuff like CyberCapture. We would call these things "Wednesday Rules" protection modalities (it will only work on a Wednesday as long as it is Sunny and as long as it is in the Fall and as long as you hear 2 ducks quacking).
I love this term (Wednesday rules), really need to remember it :D
Thank you for testing Avast twice, looking forward to more product tests :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.