Pros
  • 1. FREE

2. Nice and Easy Interface

3. Removed Most of Infections

4. "Quick Scan" is Pretty Fast

5. Not Heavy on Ram!

6. Light on System
CONS
1. Full Scan took so long, I had to quit and run a quick scan.
BOTTOM LINE
According to my video, Avast did a good job at removing most of the threats. I do recommend it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OK first off, I haven't watched the video yet, and this is not to bash your review.

I want to make a point though, the positives you've mentioned are quite obvious, being one doesn't need to perform a removal test to notice them. :)

For example:
- Yes, it's free software hence "Avast Free Antivirus"
- It's GUI is pleasing from the screenshots and Avast have worked on improving it.
- No AV can detect all malware, but it can remove most malware without an issue. However it may have problems with more stubborn malware. Avast 2014 now includes GrimeFighter which may be able to remove, but that feature isn't free and not completely compatible with Windows 8 yet. (Is there a trial available for removal?).
- "Quick" Scans are generally fast for all Antivirus software, excluding initial scans.
- Low RAM usage, products are optimised over the years, memory leaks are fixed etc. Using a modern OS like 7 or 8 have better memory optimisation usage.

For the last one you mentioned, "Light on system". I want to ask was Avast Free Antivirus non-sluggish during removal and was it possible to do other background work whilst Avast was cleaning the system?

Reactions: nissimezra

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
haha to tell you the truth, of course the positives and disadvantages are obvious things, but I have to write them because it wont let me post it unless i fill up all the required spaces when posting a review. Other than that, I would have left everything blank and just post the video, but it wont let me.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
----> Go to Community Reviews then.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
thx great review.
I've tested avast boot cd with ransomware and other malware, WD offline didnt detect anything even in full scan, avast rescue cd did a good job removing the ransomware. it left some infection but overall good job

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.