App Review Avast Free Antivirus Tested 5.26.19

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Your arguments are poor. Everytime I see you post you simply refuse to take the opinion of others. You simply bash those AV's that are not your favourites. You are free to bash them if you want but without facts and evidence your bashing is totally worthless. You never contribute anything to any thread. Go and take a look at the MWHub in this forum. Look at the results of AVG/Avast. Last time you were focused on bashing ESET. Open your eyes and take a good look at the latest result posted on the Hub where ESET performed admirably. Constructive criticism is welcomed here but you just keep on bashing without any solid evidence.
I could say exactly the same about you, that your arguments do not make sense, you like to attack me ok I attack you, I have proof to tell you that Eset is a bad antivirus, in fact I can refute everything you say, I show you a couple of Youtubers where Eset continues to get a very painful desperation, even with the new "behavior blocker, so come to attack me saying that I do not know anything? I could say the same about you." I'm an engineer in computer science so it's hard for me not to know anything In fact, the safest thing is to master the topic better than you. Do you think that Avast or Eset is doing well in a couple of tests is the star antivirus? I think you should inform yourself a bit before discussing

Up to Windows Defender is better than Eset

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I could say exactly the same about you, that your arguments do not make sense, you like to attack me ok I attack you, I have proof to tell you that Eset is a bad antivirus, in fact I can refute everything you say, I show you a couple of Youtubers where Eset continues to get a very painful desperation, even with the new "behavior blocker, so come to attack me saying that I do not know anything? I could say the same about you." I'm an engineer in computer science so it's hard for me not to know anything In fact, the safest thing is to master the topic better than you. Do you think that Avast or Eset is doing well in a couple of tests is the star antivirus? I think you should inform yourself a bit before discussing
Good joke dude. In most tests, yes Kaspersky/Bitdefender perform better than ESET/Avast. So what? Bitdefender is also known as Bugdefender. It's so full of bugs that most people find it unusable after a few weeks. Kaspersky I won't go into comparison with any AV because it's simply the king. As for Norton my dad's office PC had to be reformatted because Norton wasn't able to block a simple USB virus/worm. I don't bash Norton for that. The fact remains that outside from the privacy point of view, Avast is a good free AV for normal users and so is ESET. You bash all you want and like I said it's futile to argue with you because you don't accept the evidence that others give you but expect others to believe you when you don't have any evidence yourself.

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Good joke dude. In most tests, yes Kaspersky/Bitdefender perform better than ESET/Avast. So what? Bitdefender is also known as Bugdefender. It's so full of bugs that most people find it unusable after a few weeks. Kaspersky I won't go into comparison with any AV because it's simply the king. As for Norton my dad's office PC had to be reformatted because Norton wasn't able to block a simple USB virus/worm. I don't bash Norton for that. The fact remains that outside from the privacy point of view, Avast is a good free AV for normal users and so is ESET. You bash all you want and like I said it's futile to argue with you because you don't accept the evidence that others give you but expect others to believe you when you don't have any evidence yourself.
Norton is a top product like kaspersky, that your father has got a malware that does not say anything. Even the kaspersky king had failures like that, since no protection protects 100%, but if there are better solutions than others, period, which is not the case neither Eset nor Avast, since these solutions are much lower than those mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Okay, I will step out of this. A) I don’t have an emotional attachment to my AV, just the wedding pictures on my PC. B) I don’t have any opinion on Avast as I only used it briefly once. C) Testing is only so informative. TPSC didn’t even finish the ESET test when it missed a single ransomware, most AVs probably miss one at some point or another. Youtubers also have zero standards to adhere to. So missing one item doesn’t tell me much. Nothing saves a happy clicker or can ID every single malware. We all just want the best protection and I have no personal qualm with anybody. I just want to have a good discussion and learn.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
insist on the same I can also believe the same about you, you do not accept my evidence, with a couple of tests that show you I leave you quiet (but I will not do it, because it is losing time). Norton is a top product like kaspersky, that your father has got a malware that does not say anything. Even the kaspersky king had failures like that, since no protection protects 100%, but if there are better solutions than others, period, which is not the case neither Eset nor Avast, since these solutions are much lower than those mentioned.
Care to show me a better product than Avast that is Free and stable(Except Kaspersky Free AV)? I doubt if you have ever used Avast Hardened Mode set to Aggressive. Configuring an AV or a suite is just as important as choosing the AV/Suite itself.

I just want to have a good discussion and learn.
We are all here for this and that is why we have discussions here. But bashing an AV without any concrete evidence will just not contribute anything to the people. People will have a wrong opinion about the products. Like I said, discussions need to be supported by evidence. Everyone knows that Kaspersky & Bitdefender are better when comparing with ESET & Avast even though BD is full of bugs. But does that make ESET and Avast bad products? NO. If used to their full potential, ESET and Avast are really excellent products. Avast Aggressive Hardened Mode and ESET HIPS & Firewall are really very effective if used properly. I had an infection recently on my PC which had ESET installed. Do I say that ESET is a bad product? NO. Every signature based AV will fail at some point of time if the user is not careful.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
We are all here for this and that is why we have discussions here. But bashing an AV without any concrete evidence will just not contribute anything to the people.

I agree, which is why I initially said something. However the discussion seemed to not improve in my view. So it doesn’t feel worthwhile going in circles.

Reactions: Venustus and Wraith

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Care to show us any proof or evidence of that? Because I simply refuse to believe your words.
you want proof ok

Clearly there are better solutions than Avast and Eset, either for a user or for an expert user.

• Wow
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
We are all here for this and that is why we have discussions here. But bashing an AV without any concrete evidence will just not contribute anything to the people. People will have a wrong opinion about the products. Like I said, discussions need to be supported by evidence. Everyone knows that Kaspersky & Bitdefender are better when comparing with ESET & Avast even though BD is full of bugs. But does that make ESET and Avast bad products? NO. If used to their full potential, ESET and Avast are really excellent products. Avast Aggressive Hardened Mode and ESET HIPS & Firewall are really very effective if used properly. I had an infection recently on my PC which had ESET installed. Do I say that ESET is a bad product? NO. Every signature based AV will fail at some point of time if the user is not careful.
There are simply better solutions, point

Care to show me a better product than Avast that is Free and stable(Except Kaspersky Free AV)? I doubt if you have ever used Avast Hardened Mode set to Aggressive. Configuring an AV or a suite is just as important as choosing the AV/Suite itself.
windows defender, is better than Avast and is free

I agree, which is why I initially said something. However the discussion seemed to not improve in my view. So it doesn’t feel worthwhile going in circles.
then do not discuss the indisputable, easy and clear

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
you want proofs ok, I'll show you that your opinion is not worth anything.

Clearly there are better solutions than Avast and Eset, either for a user or for an expert user.

While I will count the AV-Comparatives result, I will NOT count the result posted by TPSC. I don't know what settings were used in the AV-Comparatives test, but ESET if configured properly will block malwares not detected by signatures through it's HIPS and the Firewall, if configured properly, will block the malware from connecting to the Internet. Here are some screenshots of ESET Dynamic Protection(although nowhere near Kaspersky).

Attachments

• Dynamic 1.JPG
    Dynamic 1.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Dynamic 2.JPG
    Dynamic 2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Dynamic 3.JPG
    Dynamic 3.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Dynamic 4.JPG
    Dynamic 4.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 286

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Guys, the discussion here about Avast is generally based on the wrong assumptions, like:
  1. YouTube Avast tests are reliable.
  2. Personal experience with Avast can be generalized.
  3. The opinions about Avast, shared among people that I know, are reliable.
  4. Guys who repair computers know which AVs are poor.
  5. My opinion about the Avast is better than the opinion of other people.
  6. There is a well-established opinion that Avast is a poor AV.
  7. The AV Labs tests prove that Kaspersky free and BitDefender free are better than Avast free.
If we admit the above, then it is clear that no one can convince anybody that Avast is worse than Kaspersky free or BitDefender free. And on the contrary, it is impossible to persuade someone that Avast can be a very good free AV, if she/he thinks otherwise.(y):emoji_pray:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Guys the discussion here about Avast is generally based on the wrong assumptions, like:
  1. YouTube Avast tests are reliable.
  2. Personal experience with Avast can be generalized.
  3. The opinions about Avast, shared among people that I know, are reliable.
  4. Guys who repair computers know which AVs are poor.
  5. My opinion about the Avast is better than the opinion of other people.
  6. There is a well-established opinion that Avast is a poor AV.
  7. The AV Labs tests prove that Kaspersky free and BitDefender free are better than Avast free.
If we admit the above, then it is clear that no one can convince anybody that Avast is worse than Kaspersky free or BitDefender free. And on the contrary, it is impossible to persuade someone that Avast can be a very good free AV, if she/he thinks otherwise.(y):emoji_pray:

+1

At the end of the day this back and forth is pointless. No product is perfect and no product fits everyone's needs. Every single product will miss things and chances are if a particular product is more popular, the higher the chance of someone seeing an infection with that product being used, as it's market share is probably very large. It would be like having 10 car owners, 8 owning Audi's and 2 owning a Mercedes. Lets say on average 2 of the car owners get into an accident, chances are an Audi would be involved as there are more Audi owners than Mercedes.

As for Avast, I have zero issues with it when it comes to protection. It's a very capable program and does it's job quite well. I don't use it, or recommend quite simply because I am not a fan of how they harvest users data, as well as trying to hide it, hoping no one will notice. It has absolutely nothing to do with protection capabilities. TBH, if they wake up and stop treating their customers this way, I will gladly go back to using/recommending it, but until then it's not for me.

As I always and will continue to say, stop focusing on test results, they can be handy and helpful, but they aren't the end all be all. There's way more to a product than how it may score on a test, especially one that doesn't represent the real world. Try out the products for yourself and see which one you like and works best for you, be it Avast or otherwise, you are more than protected. After all your habits will make the biggest difference at the end of the day, so use which every product you like most.(y)

@beavisviruses

Buddy, no offence, but I seriously think you need to start respecting other people opinions on these matters. Just because you "fix" computers, does not mean you can belittle people. There are tons of people hear that do the exact same thing as you and have tons of knowledge on these matters. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has different experiences when it comes to these things. Many people hear have brought up excellent points, whether you choose to listen to them, or not is totally up to you, but just because you disagree doesn't make your point more valid, sorry but that's the truth. After all your stance is YOUR opinion and unfortunately is not FACT. At the end of the day, we all have programs we like and dislike, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad for everyone else. If you don't like Avast, or Eset that's fine, but again, that's your opinion/preference/prerogative, it doesn't make it such that you are more right than someone who likes these products.:emoji_beer:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
that youtubers find good all av, I do not trust their results.
You cannot throw out all results which are good for Avast on the base of your trust. You can do it if you prove them wrong.
Personally, I do not trust YouTube tests, too (all of them).

Why this test is more convincing for you than:
"Avast is Product of the Year 2018. It received an Avanced+ Award in every test this year. It also takes the Gold Award for the Malware Protection Test, Silver for Malware Removal, and Bronze for the Performance Test. "

"In this year’s test, three products received the Advanced+ award and scored over 90 points in the Malware Removal Test, these being Kaspersky Lab, Avast, AVIRA, Bitdefender and Tencent:"

I am not saying that this proves that your opinion about Avast is wrong, but only that your arguments are not consistent & solid.

the most used and the most trash av
That is true, but this does not prove that Avast is inferior. It is the most popular among home users, so the most trush could follow from popularity, even if Avast was the best.

Kaspersky, bitdefender and Norton are the top av products in the market not avast, not avg, not avira, not quihoo, not eset, not comodo, not trend micro, not bullguard. Norton > Avast in all circumstances
That is true, for the paid versions of Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Norton. They have some features which can be useful in businesses. For example, KIS can be tweaked via Application Control, and then everyone on MT will agree with you (KIS > Avast).
Kaspersky free, Bitdefender free, and Avast free are not on any market.

Edit.
As I said in my previous post, I do not see the solid arguments which could prove that you are wrong by saying that Kaspersky Internet Security, Bitdefender Internet Security, and Symantec Norton Security are better than Avast free. But, you do not have solid arguments to show that Avast free is a poor AV. That is why some MT members tried to show you to be wrong. Anyway, there is nothing wrong if you believe that it is true, if you are not angry when others believe otherwise.(y)
Personally, I cannot see also the solid arguments, which could convince me that Kaspersky free and Bitdefender free are better for home users.

Last edited:

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
You just have to block Overseer & AvastUI with your firewall and avast is as good as its golden days.
Overseer is said to be there to fix Avast in certain cases. Plus, it runs once a day, very light, and quit instantly. Whereas if you just block Overseer's connection, it will keep running (even tho very lightly). If you wanna block it completely, disable its task too. I personally just let it run, just in case.

On the other hand, besides AvastUI, I also block aswChLic (license check, located at %ProgramFiles%\AVAST Software\Avast\aswChLic.exe) and aswOfferTool (offer tool, located %ProgramFiles%\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\aswOfferTool.exe).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.