Avast Free - Are Free antivirus software good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don´t use Avast, but I used to found it very effective until a friend's PC were infected by a trojan horse, and Avast didn't even detect it.

Although, since many years I saw near friends PCs with free AV installed get infected, and I have been using Norton since long time, and I have never had any problems.
You cannot blame Avast for letting through a trojan, if your friend doesn't practice safe browsing habits while on the web and external mediums.

Your comment regarding Free vs Paid security is untrue. First off, you friends have previously been careless to install malware. Second, your browsing habits differ to your friends' habits. That itself makes a huge difference between a clean vs infected PC.

Reactions: Svoll and shukla44

ExoGen CyberSecurity

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2016
You will not find a product with 100% detection or 100% protection. I'm using Comodo with custom settings and I know that even with DDP something can bypass.

Even if Avast missed one trojan it's still in the top. Like I said above you can't have 100% protection. Avast Free is a good product, beside the DeepScreen, you have streaming updates (each 10 minutes you will get the last signature updates), you also have good Web Protection.

The only downside of Avast is, if you set sensibility to high you can have False Positives beside that everything is ok. Having HIPS set to level 3 is a must if you ask me.

Now, if you wanna have DDP you can enable hardened mode and set it to aggressive.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
You cannot blame Avast for letting through a trojan, if your friend doesn't practice safe browsing habits while on the web and external mediums.

Your comment regarding Free vs Paid security is untrue. First off, you friends have previously been careless to install malware. Second, your browsing habits differ to your friends' habits. That itself makes a huge difference between a clean vs infected PC.
I dont blame Avast of nothing, I only tell my experiences. In fact, like I said above, I consider Avast one of the best free AVs out there. I would recommend others, in terms of performance, but its a fantastic product :)

Reactions: Svoll and shukla44
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.