Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Hi all,

I'm totally rusted as I was out of the windows arena for the past 6.5 years.

I would like to use free security products at the moment. So as the title says, I would like to know if its better to go with
  • Avast Free + Comodo Firewall
  • Avira Free + Comodo Firewall
Please help me. Thanks.

PS: Here is my introduction thread if you are interested to read it. :)

S

Sr. Normal

I would go avast free with comodo firewall, since I've used it in the past!

Avira taps on to enhance windows firewall so if you are using anything but the windows firewall, Avira would say that firewall protection is down and would ask you to fix it. Very irritating IMO.

I also thought that, but if in the installation uncheck the option of firewall, Avira never give alerts for this item ... cost me a reinstall :oops:

Here, @silversurfer explains it perfectly in the post 9: http://malwaretips.com/threads/choose-a-good-free-av-so-easy-and-so-difficult.45483/

Last edited by a moderator:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I would recomend Bitdefender free + Comodo firewall
Avira free seems weak compared to avast free or bitdefender free. Avira doesn't have any 0 day protection, only cloud scanning/protection.
avast in the next update will have HIPS again, and have hardened mode to block any untrust exe. file. so, avast + comdo firewall seems another great combo to me.

H

hjlbx

Why not use performance on your specific system as the basis for selection:

select the one that performs best in terms of resource consumption, bandwidth, scan speed, etc.

Avira has better signatures - and by design - is nothing more really than an advanced scanner - so the potential for conflicts should be low.

Avast! has some additional features that you might find worthwhile - and its signatures are fairly standard.

Or you can look at it this way... which do you like best ? Which one works best for you personally ?

Best Regards,

HJLBX

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Sloth, depending upon which Windows system you're using, in most case scenarios (happily:)) you'll find you are truly in a "win, win" situation.:cool: It's understood you do not wish to spend time testing the waters, but part & parcel with your choice, this is what shall come to pass. Welcome to our club!:p

For our own home systems, Avast! gets along fine with Windows 8.1 (for just 2 more short months):rolleyes:. XP was fine (for years!) with Avira free, yet as @illumination points out, Comodo Internet Security/Comodo Firewall might work well. After changing out Avira with CIS I'm happy I didn't banish the old Dell Desktop to sleep in the garage with the cars & spiders!:D

After the fascinating views on this thread, you'll truly enjoy the responses you'll experience when you post your configuration thread here:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since Avast signatures are mentioned to be fairly standard then the built in AV of Comodo does the same thing, its backbone is the BB, Sandbox, Firewall and its HIPS with proper configuration which you cannot brought any difficulties to conduct a research.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
@Everyone - Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I think ill go with Avast + Comodo Firewall.

Hello @Sloth. I wish I'd read this thread back in 2008, at a time Windows was left in favor of linux; but that would require getting into a time machine which would in turn mean all these trial and error experiences each of your friends & co-members here have brought with us might not have ever happened..,:confused: lol!:p The good news is that our time machines are in the shop being fixed!:D
I have used both Avira & Avast!, and my own personal choice between these (2) reputable (& free) alternatives, sorry @Sr. Normal, would be Avast!. Realize, as I say this, it is at risk of death by Sr. Normal's Mother-In-Law (Lol!;)) though we must surely guide you safely toward the proper 'boat' that shall hold back the waters better as you make your crossing with Windows over the River Styx!:D

..then again, I happen to have an Avira Pro Key if you're interested.:rolleyes: I've not tested the Pro version, & have only read it has similar protection as their free. *Imagine Clint Eastwood's voice as Dirty Harry: "..go ahead.:cool: Do you feel lucky, Kid!!?o_O"

Edit: *smiling* I know we'll be discussing the following points later (on your security configuration thread) but if you truly aren't feeling 'lucky' over zero-day exploits, whichever Av choice you make, here are (2) free options you might also consider adding for real "Magnum Force":D protection:
  1. https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/
  2. http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie

lol @ time machine. :p

Thanks for your input, I think ill go with Avast.

My vote goes for

Avast Free + Comodo Firewall.

You can even try Comodo Internet Security instead.

Some good input in this thread.. Im curious why you do not just use CIS instead of running separate programs and processes.

@Sloth, depending upon which Windows system you're using, in most case scenarios (happily:)) you'll find you are truly in a "win, win" situation.:cool: It's understood you do not wish to spend time testing the waters, but part & parcel with your choice, this is what shall come to pass. Welcome to our club!:p

For our own home systems, Avast! gets along fine with Windows 8.1 (for just 2 more short months):rolleyes:. XP was fine (for years!) with Avira free, yet as @illumination points out, Comodo Internet Security/Comodo Firewall might work well. After changing out Avira with CIS I'm happy I didn't banish the old Dell Desktop to sleep in the garage with the cars & spiders!:D

After the fascinating views on this thread, you'll truly enjoy the responses you'll experience when you post your configuration thread here:

From the posts that I read about CIS in MalwareTips, many posts say to not use it and rather use just Comodo Firewall + some other AV as Comodo does not provide zero day security. Is this true with CIS?

Ill post my security configuration wizard once the windows installation is ready. :)

Edit: So I was reading more posts about CIS and now it seems like a good choice as its less resource hungry than Avast.

Last edited:
I

illumination

@Everyone - Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I think ill go with Avast + Comodo Firewall.

lol @ time machine. :p

Thanks for your input, I think ill go with Avast.

From the posts that I read about CIS in MalwareTips, many posts say to not use it and rather use just Comodo Firewall + some other AV.

Ill post my security configuration wizard once the windows installation is ready. :)

That is becasue most do not understand the power behind the auto sandbox, hips and firewall. The AV component which will from time to time, catch things, is not the bread and butter of the suite so to say. With this in mind, it will still work, and is better then windows defender. Properly configured, infecting a machine with the full CIS suite is pretty tough to do. Running separate programs, will mean separate processes and in general more resource usage, with no added benefits to gain from doing so. I would personally recommend using CIS over mixing the firewall with another AV, as it is just not necessary to do the latter.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
That is becasue most do not understand the power behind the auto sandbox, hips and firewall. The AV component which will from time to time, catch things, is not the bread and butter of the suite so to say. With this in mind, it will still work, and is better then windows defender. Properly configured, infecting a machine with the full CIS suite is pretty tough to do. Running separate programs, will mean separate processes and in general more resource usage, with no added benefits to gain from doing so. I would personally recommend using CIS over mixing the firewall with another AV, as it is just not necessary to do the latter.

Did you post any guide to configure CIS or is there any guide posted by others or could you share your config?

BTW I'm talking about CIS Free and not the pro version.

I

illumination

Did you post any guide to configure CIS or is there any guide posted by others or could you share your config?

There are no added benefits from having CIS Pro over using CIS free in terms of protection.

This is the Comodo Software section where there are many topics of discussion and guides..
http://malwaretips.com/forums/comodo-software.46/

H

hjlbx

There are CIS configuration and help guides - both written and videos - posted by MT members @Umbra, @cruelsister, @viktik and others.

Plus, by reading most of the individual threads carefully one can learn a lot about CIS - how it works and how to tweak it in a way that best suits you.

In the end, you have to practice with CIS using actual malwares (get them at MT's Malware Hub) - there is no substitute for actual experience. When testing malwares I use Shadow Defender - just in case I make a mistake that will result in a persistent infection.

@Umbra has posted a thorough Shadow Defender guide at MT - if you are so inclined to use it...

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
There are no added benefits from having CIS Pro over using CIS free in terms of protection.

This is the Comodo Software section where there are many topics of discussion and guides..
http://malwaretips.com/forums/comodo-software.46/

Thanks. Ill look into that.

Plus, by reading most of the individual threads carefully one can learn a lot about CIS - how it works and how to tweak it in a way that best suits you.

In the end, you have to practice with CIS using actual malwares (get them at MT's Malware Hub) - there is no substitute for actual experience. When testing malwares I use Shadow Defender - just in case I make a mistake that will result in a persistent infection.

I have installed CIS Free. But no I'm not ready to practice with CIS using actual malwares as its a 100% production system.

H

hjlbx

Thanks. Ill look into that.

I have installed CIS Free. But no I'm not ready to practice with CIS using actual malwares as its a 100% production system.

With CIS you shouldn't give-up - and abandon the software when it seems it's a piece of crap. A lot of the "perceived crappiness" is CIS working as designed\intended - if that makes any kind of sense.

You know what I mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.