Avast Free "host unreachable"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrian

Thread author
May 11, 2015
I'm trying to update Avast free AV (it's the first update), and it keeps saying "host unreachable"! Is this happening because of my slow internet (it is slow), or Avast servers are having technical problems? I looked it up on google and they said somewhere that Avast's servers were hacked in the past which caused this problem! If this really happened once, how can they be trusted again?

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I'm trying to update Avast free AV (it's the first update), and it keeps saying "host unreachable"! Is this happening because of my slow internet (it is slow), or Avast servers are having technical problems? I looked it up on google and they said somewhere that Avast's servers were hacked in the past which caused this problem! If this really happened once, how can they be trusted again?
If you check the avast forum and you are the only one having this issue, you can pretty much rule out hacked servers. If your internet connection is as slow as you say it could be affecting the connection to the server, but definitely confirm that your firewall is allowing avast access to the internet.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What OS are you running?
Are you using a 3rd party Firewall?

And what version of avast Free (build number)?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Observe first and try to refresh your internet connection, its a minor issue that should be fix immediately.

Built in Firewall of Windows should allowed by default without user interaction unless it needs a permission.

Syrian

Thread author
May 11, 2015
Thank you so much guys, it worked in the end after hundreds of failed attempts, it must have been slow internet.

Reactions: WinXPert
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.