Battle Avast Free or 360 TSE

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I got the itch to install a new Antivirus again. I've been doing good. I've been using Windows Defender for around 6 months now and recently added Zemana Antilogger. Six months is a record. :) However, I do believe either of these two offer greater protection and may run even lighter than WD on my 3 year old Asus notebook (8MB, Intel i5, 64 bit) with Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed. I ruled out AVG Free and Panda Free at this time. And I'm still uncertain about McAfee Free. Thanks.

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
I saw people complaining that total security ESSENTIALS does not receive program updates at same time as the full program. There can be quite a lag. Qihoo favors the full program. So if I was you, I would install the full program.
Essentials do get updates for bugs fixes but slower.

I vote for avast free those annoying ads and banners in qihoo lately and those annoying pop ups from time to time Will start to agrivate you. Plus avast free has less , almost no false positives :)
The essential one does not have any ads. I wonder what will you call avast which keep trying to shove you their paid products/cleaner/etc. :rolleyes:
What's false positive when the system is clean. I rather have false positive then let some unknown malware slip through

Honestly in terms of popularity, Avast Free dominated on major countries compare to Qihoo 360.

In Detection rates, no doubt Qihoo 360 have edge compare to Avast but very minimal on differential points.

But for major practicality then check the necessary features for you between Avast or Qihoo 360.
Popularity does not keep your computer clean and safe. Qihoo have always beaten avast in terms of protection/detection.
I am a man of results. I will use anything that give me the results I want.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Thought I'd report back about my experiences with both products. I, almost, didn't uninstall 360 TSE. I liked everything about it at first. Used the BD engine with Qihoo's own engine and then switched to Qihoo and Avira. Surfing seemed more responsive with BD, than with Avira. The other day I noticed high CPU usage and figured it was Qihoo updating, slowed my laptop down and stayed at 100 percent, even after I shut down the protection. I didn't like this and decided it was time to try Avast, but I used Windows Defender for a few days and didn't notice any difference in speed of laptop and surfing. Two days ago, I finally installed Avast Free and so far everything is running good and laptop seems fast. I decided to surf a few shady websites and Avast warned me or blocked a few different ones. I had been on the same sites with 360 TSE and WD and received no warnings, but 360 TSE did block what I think was flagged as a potential Trojan. I have all Avast actions set to ask and have PUP protection enabled and Hardened Mode set on aggressive. The bottom line is that as long as there are no CPU spikes, I think Avast will remain installed for awhile. ( Unless a 6 month free license comes along for the 2017 versions of Kaspersky or BitDefender LOL.) Spiking problem aside, it is literally a toss up between 360 TSE and Avast. Maybe it was just my laptop and Qihoo that didn't get along. But I will say I feel more secure with Avast running, than I did with WD. Also both products ran fine with Zemana Anitlogger Premium. Thanks everyone for your input. No wrong answers here.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I rather have false positive then let some unknown malware slip through
For the right price this is what you "will" get with 360.
They have been caught letting things through for money.
It's funny what people will over look for a false sense of security.
My vote goes to Avast for it's honorable reputation alone, even though at
max settings it works better than 360.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I vote for avast free those annoying ads and banners in qihoo lately and those annoying pop ups from time to time Will start to agrivate you. Plus avast free has less , almost no false positives :)

Am I the only one who doesn't receive any ads from Qihoo in the free version? Honestly if you changed certain settings in Qihoo's menu you can disable any pop-up's or ads.

Reactions: Solarlynx

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Hi
If you started the 360 premium account trial period, it's normal. But when it ends you will see the ads again.
Greetings ;)

Nope I haven't started the trial account period. I have been using it for months now.

The settings I've disabled are

GENERAL
1. Show boot time after startup
2. Log in to Facebook automatically
3. Join 360 user experience improvement program

The settings I've enabled are

ACTIVE PROTECTION->SYSTEM
1. Usb drive protection - When inserted prompt only when threat is detected
2. Disable Windows autoplay functionality
3. Enable to block PUP's

PROTECTION->Custom->PRIVACY PROTECTION
1. Webcam protection On
2. Use Avira scan engine

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Nope I haven't started the trial account period. I have been using it for months now.

The settings I've disabled are

GENERAL
1. Show boot time after startup
2. Log in to Facebook automatically
3. Join 360 user experience improvement program

The settings I've enabled are

ACTIVE PROTECTION->SYSTEM
1. Usb drive protection - When inserted prompt only when threat is detected
2. Disable Windows autoplay functionality
3. Enable to block PUP's

PROTECTION->Custom->PRIVACY PROTECTION
1. Webcam protection On
2. Use Avira scan engine
Also, can you see ads when you finish an scan? o_O

Reactions: Der.Reisende

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'd recommend Avast for your system specs. Actually i've been using Avast for half an year and it surprised me. It's real time protection is very very nice and it has an unique detection ratio, including ransomware. I've done my tests and it surprised me a lot. I recommend you watch this video @safe1st uploaded to Youtube:
()

which shows Avast as a winner on detection ratio vs Kaspersky, Eset, and Emsisoft. They've upgraded they software and optimized it as good as possible. CPU usage and RAM consuming are wonderful as well.

I'd advice to set everything at maximum level, and use high heuristic at analysis.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I would like to make a note that the reason why TSE updates less frequently than TS may be related to the other tools included in TS; it may just be that the registry cleaner, system updater, etc, are the elements getting these additional bug fixes, so maybe TSE is not really outdated at all. I can't confirm it, but I highly suspect that to be the case.

My recommendation is for TSE. I think it has a smaller impact on performance, plus the protection it offers is more comprehensive, as has been shown frequently by cruelsister. The one thing I really like in Avast is its program updater, which works very well (it can update Flash, for example, very fast and conveniently).

I would recommend having BD and Avira engines installed but not enabled for real-time protection, this way you'll have optimal resource usage, plus the possibility of scanning with two powerful additional engines.

But Avast is not a bad option either. You could trial both for a week and get a feel of them. In terms of ads, TS (I'm not sure about TSE) shows some on its interface, and I've seen a pop-up offering to log into Facebook from it. But that hasn't reoccurred, and these ads are not intrusive. Avast is a little more aggressive, sometimes showing ads and other pop-ups offering their paid options.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Also, can you see ads when you finish an scan? o_O

You mean this one?

HCprQxs.png

1. It comes only after scan is finished, and not during the whole time when scanning takes place
2. It doesn't come up as a pop hence not distracting, but only at the bottom most part of the window
3. The ad has a close button enabled, hence better than what most free antivirus which doesn't provide one.
4. 360 TS is free, hence this isn't even an issue.

Other than this, I don't see any other ads, which certain people tell that they can't even stand it.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.