App Review Avast Free Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,

This is my review of Avast Free Anti-Virus - the new king? The best Free Anti-Virus? Better than the competition? Stay tuned to find out!

Thanks for watching, hopefully you've enjoyed & I do apologise for not staying online after posting this (it's getting late here & I got to go to bed!)

W

Wave

Thread author
Good review! :)

Thks for video ,so Avast at this point would b recommended over avg free,bitdefender free ,?
All of the vendors you listed are good; just because Avast did well in this test doesn't mean it'll do well all the time compared to other products. AVG has tested well and bad for me before, as have both Avast and Bitdefender. There's always going to be missed samples and each vendor have their own way of doing things.

Use what you feel comfortable with using; make use of the free 30-day trials if required to test and understand if the product works best for you or not, and that's all there really is to it.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hmm, it seems to me that the ram usage is doubled in this version. Not really a bad thing because they added behavior shield in it

how about using CamStudio with lossless codec :)
It never fails to record my screen when my testing VM was completely frozen :)

nice review. My favourite AV :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Any reason to give Windows 10 mitigations credit for the .NET fails and the "will not run on this PC" malwares? They remind me of EMET blocks.

Like the GUI of this avast better than the current one. Thanks.

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks for the video. Avast seems to behave really well. The new UI I like it very much. Much more tidy and clean.
I'm curious to see how will the final release.

I'd like to see how it behaves her Hips / BB with the latest ramsonware.

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thks for video ,so Avast at this point would b recommended over avg free,bitdefender free ,?
No problem & yes I would recommend it currently over all other Free AV products :)

I find avast runs smooth ,avg does also but too many processes,bitdefender well whole other story .
I found this as well but Bitdefender was alright whilst testing, still not as smooth as Avast though.

hmm, it seems to me that the ram usage is doubled in this version. Not really a bad thing because they added behavior shield in it

how about using CamStudio with lossless codec :)
It never fails to record my screen when my testing VM was completely frozen :)

nice review. My favourite AV :)
Interesting, thanks for letting me know because since I last tested it well it's gone done! The behaviour shield is good so yeah that's a new & good addition to the software.

Also I may start using Camstudio because OBS on high bitrates freezes (even though most of the time my VM is fine) :)

Thanks for watching!

Agreed Avast has put on some weight.
Perhaps it has but it's worth it for the new behaviour shield!

Any reason to give Windows 10 mitigations credit for the .NET fails and the "will not run on this PC" malwares? They remind me of EMET blocks.

Like the GUI of this avast better than the current one. Thanks.
I will try to Install the .NET framework again in a snapshot & hopefully that will fix it :) Also I agree with you on the GUI but the Settings GUI could do worth a little bit more management (in my opinion it's a little messy).

Can't wait for the stable update again. Used the Free version across all my computers for a span of 10 years and it hasn't failed me. :D
Yeah once the stable version comes out this should be the best Avast yet & don't worry it will continue to not fail you ;)

Thanks for the video. Avast seems to behave really well. The new UI I like it very much. Much more tidy and clean.
I'm curious to see how will the final release.

I'd like to see how it behaves her Hips / BB with the latest ramsonware.
No problem :) I would completely agree & it probably won't be too long until final release. The Hips/BB are pretty good on Avast & especially on Hardened Mode barely anything gets through (but this is with signatures on - I need to test it without too soon).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If I'm not worng there's not much change in malware detection ratio performance as compared to last year's free version
they said they would merge the signatures of avast and AVG so the detection rate will be slightly improved. not sure if they did it in this beta or not

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Avast did quite well in this test. I like the new UI more than the previous one.
However I'm not really happy to see that the Ram usage of the product has doubled. Since version 7 Avast really needs more and more resources, and I don't like that too much. I prefer really light products.
You tell that it is because of that new behaviour shield, but where in the video do we see that in action? The only detection not with signatures is one evo-gen detection. But where is their deepscreen and their famously advertised - but doing completely nothing - cybercapture?
No hate to Avast at all, but every year they come with new fancy names for new blocking techniques or they just move them around elsewhere and based on testing videos they add little to absolutely no value to the product. On paper and in advertisement they look great, but I just never see them in action except making the product more resource eating. The only good module they made over the past years is hardened mode imho. That does something. The rest just can catch maybe only one file in 1000 others, while they do say different things when advertising the product.
Avast is a great AV, but I'm just disappointed in the way after all those years they still didn't succeed in putting one good overall doing well behaviour blocker in the product instead of several less than half working components that sounds really great, but really aren't like that. Maybe they can borrow something from AVG like IDP to improve this in the future.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Bye bye sounds like Schwarzenegger (although he does say something else) :D

Back to the vid: Thank you for doing a review on that AV, telling from the HUB it is most impressive! Used to have a Pro version years ago, haven't used it since then (to eager to test out other products...), but my Dad and my stepmom happily use this soft :) Obviously a very good choice for free indeed :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast did quite well in this test. I like the new UI more than the previous one.
However I'm not really happy to see that the Ram usage of the product has doubled. Since version 7 Avast really needs more and more resources, and I don't like that too much. I prefer really light products.
You tell that it is because of that new behaviour shield, but where in the video do we see that in action? The only detection not with signatures is one evo-gen detection. But where is their deepscreen and their famously advertised - but doing completely nothing - cybercapture?
No hate to Avast at all, but every year they come with new fancy names for new blocking techniques or they just move them around elsewhere and based on testing videos they add little to absolutely no value to the product. On paper and in advertisement they look great, but I just never see them in action except making the product more resource eating. The only good module they made over the past years is hardened mode imho. That does something. The rest just can catch maybe only one file in 1000 others, while they do say different things when advertising the product.
Avast is a great AV, but I'm just disappointed in the way after all those years they still didn't succeed in putting one good overall doing well behaviour blocker in the product instead of several less than half working components that sounds really great, but really aren't like that. Maybe they can borrow something from AVG like IDP to improve this in the future.
deepscan is enabled by default and doesn't have an option of disable/enable it in settings anymore like the previous version. Deepscan has improved a lot and now it is able to detect many stuffs, unlike the time it was just released
I tested AVG 2017 with similar features, ram usage was very low, just a few MBs more than avast 2016. They might fix it the the final version
cybercapture is a disgrace, I agree. However, Harderned mode aggressive does the job similarly to cybercapture, even better
They have improved their evo-gen and heuristics a lot. That we can see avast detection rate has improved significantly in the second half of 2016. Before that, the detection rate was nowhere near other competitors

behavior shield = AVG's software analyzer = IDP -> just different names

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.