Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
what is going to conflict tho? KAR doesn't have features KAF has, and vice-versa.
KART has the KSN based File AV while Kaspersky Free also sports KSN. May or may not be a considerable issue.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
i don't see the problem some files being checked on KSN twice if there are no performance issues.
Might not be. However, things aren't technically as simple as they look by definition of their work right?
And the File AV of both will have the task of dealing with any identified malware (via cloud) and both may pounce on it.

Reactions: mekelek

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Might not be. However, things aren't technically as simple as they look by definition of their work right?
And the File AV of both will have the task of dealing with any identified malware (via cloud) and both may pounce on it.
this point is i think why some people think there might be some incompatibilities
if both KART and KFA find a suspicious/malware file and both go to remove/quarantine it, only 1 is going to actually get it. Which one? Will the one who missed it cause a problem? Or will it notice that the file was already taken care of, so then just ignore it and keep on going? Or will both apps notice each other are trying to deal with the malware, so will both assume the other app will take care of it? so then both ignore it? etc etc
there can be many scenarios that could potentially cause problems, we will not know until we test with both installed on same system or if Kaspersky themselves tell us its ok to use both

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Alright! I haven't tried KART myself yet, but if there's an option to disable its File AV (the associated KSN) and just keep the SW enabled, that will be better.
Anyways, the SW from KART will not provide complete behavior blocking like the one found in the paid versions would.
these are the settings available from KART version 2.0.0.176
as you can see, they are very lacking in options ;) lol
KART.v2.0.0.176.Settings.png

Reactions: Parsh

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
yes we should test KAV with a few feature stripped... Did you even check what KAF is all about?
Kas Free has to demonstrate that it is not just the well-known name. What? Kas Free has less features than paid versions? yes, and? It has to offer good protection, altought it's a Free soft., we need to test it to compare it with other free solutions, because, altought there is a paid version than probably offers better protection, for people who look for a free solution do not care that at all.

Reactions: Solarlynx

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Kas Free has to demonstrate that it is not just the well-known name. What? Kas Free has less features than paid versions? yes, and? It has to offer good protection, altought it's a Free soft., we need to test it to compare it with other free solutions, because, altought there is a paid version than probably offers better protection, for people looking for a free solution do not care that.
KAV and KAF are almost identical, what's there to test? same sigs, same KSN, same AV modules that are available in both of them...
you sounded like Kaspersky just released some brand new product that needs to be tested cause who knows how it performs, except in this case everyone knows, like KAV.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
this point is i think why some people think there might be some incompatibilities
if both KART and KFA find a suspicious/malware file and both go to remove/quarantine it, only 1 is going to actually get it. Which one? Will the one who missed it cause a problem? Or will it notice that the file was already taken care of, so then just ignore it and keep on going? Or will both apps notice each other are trying to deal with the malware, so will both assume the other app will take care of it? so then both ignore it? etc etc
there can be many scenarios that could potentially cause problems, we will not know until we test with both installed on same system or if Kaspersky themselves tell us its ok to use both
You've covered the many cases that may question many users.
It's not just about the two AVs and what each one will do...the OS has a big involvement here.
Both will be working on a kernel level. On detection, each will have a long list of operations to register for in the system (for things like resource control) for every individual action they perform from intercepting to dealing with locks (deadlock in certain conditions?) to cleaning or disinfecting the malware.
The dashing can result in as small of a trouble as a system slowdown to any big conflict leading to crashing of either or both programs.
You're right. Testing the duo with varied malware can give us some insight into the compatibility.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
KAV and KAF are almost identical, what's there to test? same sigs, same KSN, same AV modules that are available in both of them...
you sounded like Kaspersky just released some brand new product that needs to be tested cause who knows how it performs, except in this case everyone knows, like KAV.
Reading @Parsh 's message above, saying that Kas free does not have BB, seems to me that Kas free will not have the same results as KAV..

pizzetta72

Level 1
Jul 28, 2017
Avast free
If you're using Comodo Firewall (customized for auto-sandboxing) / an anti-exe / a behavior blocking program (like HMPA) already, Kaspersky Free will be a great choice to add. KSN is a powerful tool for detection of newer threats not detected by plain signatures.
Avast free covers most of the basic security layers needed and a separate Behavior Blocker is not needed to complement Avast.

Hi, I have on my PC (Windows 7OS) Avast free + Comodo Firewall configured in this way:
Comodo firewall: Enabled Firewall + Auto Contaiment.... Disabled HIPS + Web Filtering + VirusScope
Avast Free AV: Enabled "File System SHield" + Behavior Shield + Web Shield....All the other features are disabled

Do you think that using Kaspersky free instead Avast could be better or not?
Better means: performances + virus detection + less conflicts with Comodo firewall

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hi, I have on my PC (Windows 7OS) Avast free + Comodo Firewall configured in this way:
Comodo firewall: Enabled Firewall + Auto Contaiment.... Disabled HIPS + Web Filtering + VirusScope
Avast Free AV: Enabled "File System SHield" + Behavior Shield + Web Shield....All the other features are disabled

Do you think that using Kaspersky free instead Avast could be better or not?
Better means: performances + virus detection + less conflicts with Comodo firewall
Are you using CS settings for Comodo FW? If not and since you're into auto-sandboxing, first switch to 'Proactive Configuration' in it and then make any other changes in CFW, since switching to Proactive will reset most of the settings manually selected.
If you're using CS settings, you might not need a Behavior Blocker from another AV (though I recommend enabling Viruscope in CFW) and Kaspersky Free will be great together.
The CS settings have aggressive way of handling the unknowns. You will have strict restrictions on elevation of unknown files and block outbound connections of sandboxed programs. And added folder protection...

However, there are slick chances that the File Lookup will allow a harmful file to run un-sandboxed (the file might have been set as trusted by a Comodo analyst etc.) or a malware uses a certificate of any vendor that's trusted by Comodo (this won't be a big problem if you totally trim down the Trusted Vendors List to a few well known ones in CFW). In such cases of vulnerability, having a complementary AV with a good BB will be useful in case the signatures of the complementary AV do not intercept that piece of malware with stolen certificate. Here, Avast is the forefront runner.
Another point is that better the signatures of the complementary AV, less of sandboxing work CFW will have to do. Here, Kaspersky Free leads.

As you can see different benefits of Avast and K Free, now you'll have to decide upon these points. I'll suggest you to keep Avast Free if it works fine for you. K Free apparently has no conflicts too, with CFW. Just ignore the incompatibility warning that you get while installing K Free on top of CFW in case you decide to switch.

Reactions: ZeroDay and frogboy

pizzetta72

Level 1
Jul 28, 2017
Are you using CS settings for Comodo FW? If not and since you're into auto-sandboxing, first switch to 'Proactive Configuration' in it and then make any other changes in CFW, since switching to Proactive will reset most of the settings manually selected.
If you're using CS settings, you might not need a Behavior Blocker from another AV (though I recommend enabling Viruscope in CFW) and Kaspersky Free will be great together.
The CS settings have aggressive way of handling the unknowns. You will have strict restrictions on elevation of unknown files and block outbound connections of sandboxed programs. And added folder protection...

However, there are slick chances that the File Lookup will allow a harmful file to run un-sandboxed (the file might have been set as trusted by a Comodo analyst etc.) or a malware uses a certificate of any vendor that's trusted by Comodo (this won't be a big problem if you totally trim down the Trusted Vendors List to a few well known ones in CFW). In such cases of vulnerability, having a complementary AV with a good BB will be useful in case the signatures of the complementary AV do not intercept that piece of malware with stolen certificate. Here, Avast is the forefront runner.
Another point is that better the signatures of the complementary AV, less of sandboxing work CFW will have to do. Here, Kaspersky Free leads.

As you can see different benefits of Avast and K Free, now you'll have to decide upon these points. I'll suggest you to keep Avast Free if it works fine for you. K Free apparently has no conflicts too, with CFW. Just ignore the incompatibility warning that you get while installing K Free on top of CFW in case you decide to switch.
So, your suggestion is to change some settings in my Comodo + Avast AV respect the actual?
I should change the settings in this way:

Comodo firewall: Enabled Firewall + Auto Contaiment + VirusScope + Change from "Firewall Security" to "Proactive Security".... Disabled HIPS + Web Filtering

Avast Free AV: Enabled "File System Shield" + Web Shield....Disabling "Behavior Shield" and all the other features

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
So, your suggestion is to change some settings in my Comodo + Avast AV respect the actual?
I should change the settings in this way:

Comodo firewall: Enabled Firewall + Auto Contaiment + VirusScope + Change from "Firewall Security" to "Proactive Security".... Disabled HIPS + Web Filtering

Avast Free AV: Enabled "File System Shield" + Web Shield....Disabling "Behavior Shield" and all the other features
Yes, except that you can keep Behavior Shield enabled for the rare case that some malicious program is missed by CFW auto-containment in some ways I described above.
For further strengthening, you can refer to CruelSister's CFW settings in the video link I shared in my previous post. Select which additional settings/restrictions you would like to add from that video (like restricting elevation of unknown files, disabling "do not virtualize access to shared folders" etc.)
HIPS is an option, you don't need it here unless you're paranoid about controlling everything happening in your system. There are different modes available as described here.

Reactions: Rebsat and frogboy

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Yes, except that you can keep Behavior Shield enabled for the rare case that some malicious program is missed by CFW auto-containment
This is the reason I always keep Behaviour Shield turned on with CF. While it's incredibly rare, if you come across malware that's trusted by Comodo or you unblock an application you believe to be safe that is actually malicious (this is assuming the AV doesn't have a signature for the malware) the behavioural blocking can save you a real headache. Especially if it's something quiet like a RAT that's recording your keystrokes/mic audio or snapping screenshots/images through your webcam.
Something like ransomware is trickier as unknown samples usually end up encrypting at least some files before the behavioural blocking kicks in, but if you have backups then it's A-OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parsh and Solarlynx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.