Avast free vs Kaspersky free

pizzetta72

Level 1
Jul 28, 2017
This is the reason I always keep Behaviour Shield on AV. While it's incredibly rare, if you come across malware that's trusted by Comodo or you unblock an application you believe to be safe that is actually malicious (this is assuming the AV doesn't have a signature for the malware) the behavioural blocking can save you a real headache. Especially if it's something like a RAT that's recording your keystrokes/mic audio or snapping screenshots/images through your webcam.
Perfect, many thanks. For the moment I'll leave behavior shield setting in Avast turned on. If the PC will became slower, I'll try to disable it and see if it's better.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Perfect, many thanks. For the moment I'll leave behavior shield setting in Avast turned on. If the PC will became slower, I'll try to disable it and see if it's better.
If it causes serious performance issues you can disable it. Like I said the chances of running into malware that's trusted is extremely rare and as long as you're absolutely certain that any sandboxed applications are safe before unblocking them you should be fine.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
This is the reason I always keep Behaviour Shield on AV. While it's incredibly rare, if you come across malware that's trusted by Comodo or you unblock an application you believe to be safe that is actually malicious (this is assuming the AV doesn't have a signature for the malware) the behavioural blocking can save you a real headache. Especially if it's something quiet like a RAT that's recording your keystrokes/mic audio or snapping screenshots/images through your webcam.
Human actions = ultimate vulnerability. Also the BB of Avast Free is not a dedicated RW protection and hence Viruscope might be of help in such cases.
Something like ransomware is trickier as unknown samples usually end up encrypting at least some files before the behavioural blocking kicks in, but if you have backups then it's A-OK.
Right. And here in this combo config, there will be nothing to rollback changes and the Lord of Backups will be the only savior.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Does Kaspersky Free have the same detection rate as Kaspersky paid? Mhmmm I wonder.
If so, it is a no brainer for me, I would choose Kaspersky. (That is if it has the same signatures or detection rate as the paid one :/)
Static detections (via signature + heuristics + cloud based detection of files) will be same for Kaspersky Free and the paid versions. During execution of files, if a program/script downloads a malicious payload, or some files are unmorphed or discovered - and those are identified by KSN network data or Kaspersky's signatures, those will be detected.
Web filters are the same for blocking malicious sites and attachments. Nothing more than that for malware protection.
kaspersky-free-antivirus-global-launch-3.jpg
Which one is more powerful?
Kaspersky Free with its cloud will have higher static detections for sure, however it lacks a Behavioral Blocker while Avast has one. If the AV is to be used standalone, Avast is the one. The CyberCapture (and cloud analysis) and the Hardened Mode are valuable provisions.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Avast is bundled with tons of bla bla features + ads. Kaspersky Free, BD Free AVs on the other hand offers similar or better performance without those components with zero ads. I vote for Kaspersky Free over Avast due to its simplicity, strong performance yet zero ads.;)

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Avast is bundled with tons of bla bla features + ads. Kaspersky Free, BD Free AVs on the other hand offers similar or better performance without those components with zero ads. I vote for Kaspersky Free over Avast due to its simplicity, strong performance yet zero ads.;)
Avast doesn't really have all that many ads. Also KFA doesn't have system control or BB so it's lacking in that.

IceLion36

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
I'm using Kaspersky free with Comodo firewall. During installation Kaspersky has told me that Comodo is not supported, so I've excluded Kaspersky from Comodo's HIPS, shell injection and firewall.
Do you think that BitDefender Free is more secure than Kapersky free?

Reactions: Syafiq

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Kaspersky free is without a behavior blocker. Bitdefender free is using the advanced threat detection (ATC) and is very good. My woman uses this edition on the laptop is since months without infection.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Avast doesn't really have all that many ads. Also KFA doesn't have system control or BB so it's lacking in that.
It depends, like yesterday on my notebook i had 3 popups in 15 a 25 minutes ! :mad: 1 for catching that many viruses in your country, 1 for a question if i would recommend avast to friends and 1 for firewall protection to upgrade ! i uninstalled avast on that notebook and replaced it with KFA which seems to be very light also.
On my desktop computer still avast for now.... :cool:

Anyone tried this in KFA : settings , Threats and exclusions settings Check/enable : Detect other software and programs that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data.
seems it protects more to pups / pua , but how far it goes i don't know.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/neowin/new...1501026850_kaspersky_free_antivirus__(10).jpg

Last edited:

IceLion36

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
It depends, like yesterday on my notebook i had 3 popups in 15 a 25 minutes ! :mad: 1 for catching that many viruses in your country, 1 for a question if i would recommend avast to friends and 1 for firewall protection to upgrade ! i uninstalled avast on that notebook and replaced it with KFA which seems to be very light also.
On my desktop computer still avast for now.... :cool:

Anyone tried this in KFA : settings , Threats and exclusions settings Check/enable : Detect other software and programs that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data.
seems it protects more to pups / pua , but how far it goes i don't know.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/neowin/new...1501026850_kaspersky_free_antivirus__(10).jpg
That setting is also available in Kaspersky Internet security

Reactions: Pat MacKnife

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.