Battle Avast free/w Comodo firewall or Comodo Internet Security 5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright, Polls up, which product do you guys like better?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Avast free/w Comodo firewall or Comodo 5.8 free?

Real time protection in my view has two main components : Prevention and Detection.

You can't expect from a antivirus to stop all the Zero day malware that's why you are using a HIPS product to increase your prevention rate ( Comodo Firewall which has bundled Defense+ among other features) ....... From my point of view the COMODO Firewall should be able to keep you safe from 0 day threats , the only thing that Avast or the COMODO Antivirus will bring into your security configuration is detection.

Now,which one has a better detection rate? It depends on the malware sample , some threats may be detected earlier by Avast ,while other may be spotted faster by the COMODO Antivirus. If you'll search the web you'll see that Avast has a better reputation but I've always like to use CIS as a entire suite and in time I found that the antivirus is actually good.

One more thing to be considered here is the system impact , I never tried Avast w/ Comodo firewall but I'm sure that CIS will use less resources on your system due to the fact that you;ll have less process in real time.

I didn't watch the 'latest review by malware geek' but I can tell you that protection from 0-day malware can't be a job just for your real time protection. In order to truly protect you system you need to build up your malware defenses, that's why I strongly advise you to start a thread in our 'Security Configuration Wizard' Forum.

PS. Welcome aboard!:welcomewave:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

Hey and welcome

I think you should take Avast and comodo firewall; you will get more or less two av because the firewall has AV cloud scanner. Make sure the choose which sandbox you want, Avast's or Comodo's. go to MalwareTips youtube channel and search the name avast; I made a video how to prevent problems/future problems

Regards

D

Deleted member 178

i think exactly as Jack, Full CIS will create less processes so less resources.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

umbrapolaris said:
i think exactly as Jack, Full CIS will create less processes so less resources.

True but if FP is not wanted then Avast is better. I have no problem with FP but many do (for no reason really; FP is better than being infected)

network86

Oct 12, 2011

I agree with Jack also. I had the Avast and Comodo firewall combo installed, and also had CIS suite installed. I prefered the CIS suite and it is lighter on resources. CIS is all about the prevention and is fantastic at it, but whatever the HIPS misses the AV should detect,but Avast is known for better detection. Its all down to user preference in the end. But my choice would be CIS suite.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Hello and welcome :)

From the experience I have had with Avast and Comodo Firewall I would have to say that I would think that using Avast and Comodo Firewall would be better because of what Valentin N said that if you want less FP then go with Avast but if you can handle the FP and are good at keeping and looking after your system, then the suite would have to be good. Also it uses less resources.

I

illumination

Like a few others, i have to agree with Jack on this. Full CIS will be less of a system impact. it is more then enough protection, especially when "tweaked" a little.. Not to mention that there are other layers of protection you can add to this equation, such as plugins for your browser, like link checkers,ect.

D

Deleted member 178

i had this combo before because CIS AV module was weak so i needed a good free detection AV, so i have chosen Avast. now CIS is strong enough and quick to react, so avast is no more a requirement (for the common user).

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Avast + CFW felt lighter than CIS some time ago and CAV had poor detection rate and more false positives. But lately COMODO improved their AV so I think you may as well go with the full CIS suite. You might also want to check Chiron's guide on Installing & Configuring CIS (link from techsupportalert).

D

Deleted member 178

oh he updated the post , good i will post it on Comodo section, unless you want do it?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

3link9 said:
So i been using AVAST with comodo firewall for awhile but i saw the latest review by malware geek and someone else and it didn't do that good against o-day malware and was wondering if I should make a temp switch to comodo

It is hard to say, it is possible for an av to have a bad day, or the database that the reviewer uses (malc0de?) to contain mostly ad-ware. But the main complaint was that the sandbox and the behavior blocker are not as aggressive as some would expect. Therefore avast still relies mainly on signatures to block 0-day malware and therefore it might be insufficient on its own. However if you use avast + Comodo FW, Defense+ (and the auto-sandbox) will handle 0-day malware. Anyway, I think you can try the full CIS suite and see how it does, mainly in terms of resource usage and false positives.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Actually both would be good for the configuration to the system.

When used Avast free/w Comodo Firewall its really effective and since Comodo Firewall's popups were really lessen for trusted applications and sandbox for running the untrusted files through partial limited.

If you want their Antivirus then go to Comodo Internet Security since its doing very well when it comes to detection capabilities.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i agree with jack, imo if you wanna choose between the 2 comodo will be the choice no doubt but avast+comodo firewall with defense+ should be plenty. combine it with wot and trafficlight and youre set to go.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i was using avast before then i switched to comodo internet security the av was quite weak so i had malwarebyte install in case it missed something but i can't tell you comodo av is powerful now they improved a lot the full suite will be the right choice for you :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
You may expect a whole new AV engine, that will be faster and lighter than the current :) CIS is lighter for very release and update. CAV is on the right way and it get almost as good as other AV vendor where all focus goes to their AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.