Update Avast have new tools: Webcam Shield feature & Avast Driver Updater.

Discussion in 'Avast' started by L S, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #21 Slyguy, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    All you need.

Also use Wireless Auto-Off to disable your NIC's with PC shutdown so they can't be magic packet or accessed in sleep mode. If you install Wireless Auto-Off, it works for wired if you make an 'include.txt' file with the name of your wired NIC. Then set your machine for true-shutdown, not hybrid and it will kill your NIC at the device level while the machine is shutdown. On reboot just click the icon to enable the NIC.

Interestingly, the developer of Wireless Auto-Off said a few years ago govt. employees started buying it in huge numbers. Thousands and thousands of copies.. The suspicion is, it was around the time they developed technology to access sleeping NIC's on systems and wanted this program to protect their own systems!

rockstarrocks, tim one, L S and 5 others like this.
  2. Bleak

Bleak Level 2

Sep 5, 2017
    ::1
    Avast adding even more crapware useless stuff, but at least they giving the option to install the modules you want.

3. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    • Application Control
    • Webcam and Microphone Protection
    • Keystroke Protection
    • Firewall
    • Web protection with antiphishing
    • Protected Folder
    • Network protection
    • PUP PUW protection
    • System Watcher
    • Rollbacking of malware actions

In my opinion, all an antivirus should have. It's my perfect combination of modules. What else can you think of without making bloatware?

4. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 10

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #24 mlnevese, Oct 5, 2017
    Bitdefender added Webcam protection on the 2018 version. No details about microphone protection so I assume it doesn't have one.

rockstarrocks, tim one, L S and 2 others like this.
  5. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 10

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #25 mlnevese, Oct 5, 2017
    You just did a list of what Kaspersky currently does :) Although its PUP protection is quite weaker than some other products, like ESET, for instance...

rockstarrocks, Marko :), L S and 2 others like this.
  6. L S

L S Level 5

Jul 16, 2014
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Oooo Yes , this is interesting to know - well, we all know it - but is another thing to hear / read from the Developer of the program ! :devil::devil::devil:

7. tim one

tim one Level 19
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    However, I remember a friend freaking out when suddenly a bad announcement by the FBI, about an alleged sharing of some stuff under copyright, was shown on his PC and in the meantime, the webcam led was actually turned on.

Well, at the end of course it was a .js lockscreen malware and actually the webcam was not really turned on.

But he almost got a heart attack :LOL::eek:

8. Local Host

Local Host Level 2

Sep 26, 2017
    Network Engineer
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Great more bloatware... :ROFLMAO:

rockstarrocks and Weebarra like this.
  9. L S

L S Level 5

Jul 16, 2014
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Well ....... Well ....... Will definitely be surprised - when / if you see your webcam led is turned on and not by you. :eek::eek::rolleyes:

10. L S

L S Level 5

Jul 16, 2014
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Maybe , but with Avast you can turn all this features OFF - and/or uninstall them - when you like it - how you like it ! ;):)

11. tim one

tim one Level 19
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I agree and we do not forget that Avast hardened mode aggressive is actually very effective, which is the most important thing, crap or not.

12. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    He blogged about it a bit back a few years ago about a sudden, massive interest from US Gov. in his products.

Increase in Government and Military Usage
    Recently we have noticed an increase in Government and Military usage of Wireless AutoSwitch. In the last month we have been contacted by several military organizations interested in purchasing licenses and have sold 6,000 licenses to these types of organizations alone.

13. Cloud9

Cloud9 Level 1

Apr 22, 2015
    Marketing
    South Carolina
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Well this is interesting . the thing about paid antivirus software is they always offer extras like webcam shield and so on. The real value of the software is in its ability to protect us. Any other features are not really required. this is why we have to download different programs for anti- malware, exploit and anti virus. How about including both Anti Virus, Anti Malware and Anti exploit with real time protection all in one package ? that did make my life a lot easier since i wouldn't have to wait for all the anti malware , exploit and anti virus software to load before i can use my computer.

Weebarra, mlnevese, Marko :) and 2 others like this.
  14. L S

L S Level 5

Jul 16, 2014
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Malwarebytes have 4 in 1 - Antimalware, Antiexploit, Ransomware Protection, Web Protection & extra POP and PUP features, and is Compatible with each Antivirus Program . :) ;)

Weebarra, tim one and Marko :) like this.
  15. tim one

tim one Level 19
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I think that diversification would be better.
    The user can have the possibility to choose the security layers based on his choice and on the basis of the quality of the chosen apps.

Weebarra, L S and Marko :) like this.
  16. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Hello, I use Hitmanpro Alert to watch/protect my Webcam:)

L S, Weebarra and Marko :) like this.
  17. Weebarra

Weebarra Level 7

Apr 5, 2017
    Somewhere in Scottieland
    Windows 7
    Kaspersky
    @Opcode , AVG have it too, so i beat your 2 vendors :p there are probably more who have it hidden in the gumph somewhere no doubt, under different names

[​IMG]

L S, Opcode, mlnevese and 3 others like this.
  18. Local Host

Local Host Level 2

Sep 26, 2017
    Network Engineer
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Because a Jack of all Trades is a Master at none, the closest you have to that is Malwarebytes.

L S likes this.