Avast have new tools: Webcam Shield feature & Avast Driver Updater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I just use the device manager to diable the web cam and microphone. (y)

All you need.

Also use Wireless Auto-Off to disable your NIC's with PC shutdown so they can't be magic packet or accessed in sleep mode. If you install Wireless Auto-Off, it works for wired if you make an 'include.txt' file with the name of your wired NIC. Then set your machine for true-shutdown, not hybrid and it will kill your NIC at the device level while the machine is shutdown. On reboot just click the icon to enable the NIC.

Interestingly, the developer of Wireless Auto-Off said a few years ago govt. employees started buying it in huge numbers. Thousands and thousands of copies.. The suspicion is, it was around the time they developed technology to access sleeping NIC's on systems and wanted this program to protect their own systems!

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
  • Application Control
  • Webcam and Microphone Protection
  • Keystroke Protection
  • Firewall
  • Web protection with antiphishing
  • Protected Folder
  • Network protection
  • PUP PUW protection
  • System Watcher
  • Rollbacking of malware actions

In my opinion, all an antivirus should have. It's my perfect combination of modules. What else can you think of without making bloatware?

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I know Kaspersky has it (well in the Total Security version) and i believe Bitdefender has it too so that will probably be your 2 others, as always, my nose is bothering me so i will need to go look at some others, lol.

Bitdefender added Webcam protection on the 2018 version. No details about microphone protection so I assume it doesn't have one.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
  • Application Control
  • Webcam and Microphone Protection
  • Keystroke Protection
  • Firewall
  • Web protection with antiphishing
  • Protected Folder
  • Network protection
  • PUP PUW protection
  • System Watcher
  • Rollbacking of malware actions
In my opinion, all an antivirus should have. It's my perfect combination of modules. What else can you think of without making bloatware?

You just did a list of what Kaspersky currently does :) Although its PUP protection is quite weaker than some other products, like ESET, for instance...

Last edited:

L S

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Interestingly, the developer of Wireless Auto-Off said a few years ago govt. employees started buying it in huge numbers. Thousands and thousands of copies.. The suspicion is, it was around the time they developed technology to access sleeping NIC's on systems and wanted this program to protect their own systems!
Oooo Yes , this is interesting to know - well, we all know it - but is another thing to hear / read from the Developer of the program ! :devil::devil::devil:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
However, I remember a friend freaking out when suddenly a bad announcement by the FBI, about an alleged sharing of some stuff under copyright, was shown on his PC and in the meantime, the webcam led was actually turned on.

Well, at the end of course it was a .js lockscreen malware and actually the webcam was not really turned on.

But he almost got a heart attack :LOL::eek:

L S

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
However, I remember a friend freaking out when suddenly a bad announcement by the FBI, about an alleged sharing of some stuff under copyright, was shown on his PC and in the meantime, the webcam led was actually turned on.

Well, at the end of course it was a .js lockscreen malware and actually the webcam was not really turned on.

But he almost got a heart attack :LOL::eek:
Well ....... Well ....... Will definitely be surprised - when / if you see your webcam led is turned on and not by you. :eek::eek::rolleyes:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Oooo Yes , this is interesting to know - well, we all know it - but is another thing to hear / read from the Developer of the program ! :devil::devil::devil:

He blogged about it a bit back a few years ago about a sudden, massive interest from US Gov. in his products.

Increase in Government and Military Usage
Recently we have noticed an increase in Government and Military usage of Wireless AutoSwitch. In the last month we have been contacted by several military organizations interested in purchasing licenses and have sold 6,000 licenses to these types of organizations alone.

Cloud9

Level 1
Verified
Apr 22, 2015
Well this is interesting . the thing about paid antivirus software is they always offer extras like webcam shield and so on. The real value of the software is in its ability to protect us. Any other features are not really required. this is why we have to download different programs for anti- malware, exploit and anti virus. How about including both Anti Virus, Anti Malware and Anti exploit with real time protection all in one package ? that did make my life a lot easier since i wouldn't have to wait for all the anti malware , exploit and anti virus software to load before i can use my computer.

L S

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Well this is interesting . the thing about paid antivirus software is they always offer extras like webcam shield and so on. The real value of the software is in its ability to protect us. Any other features are not really required. this is why we have to download different programs for anti- malware, exploit and anti virus. How about including both Anti Virus, Anti Malware and Anti exploit with real time protection all in one package ? that did make my life a lot easier since i wouldn't have to wait for all the anti malware , exploit and anti virus software to load before i can use my computer.
Malwarebytes have 4 in 1 - Antimalware, Antiexploit, Ransomware Protection, Web Protection & extra POP and PUP features, and is Compatible with each Antivirus Program . :) ;)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I think that diversification would be better.
The user can have the possibility to choose the security layers based on his choice and on the basis of the quality of the chosen apps.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
@Opcode , AVG have it too, so i beat your 2 vendors :p there are probably more who have it hidden in the gumph somewhere no doubt, under different names

home

L

Local Host

Because a Jack of all Trades is a Master at none, the closest you have to that is Malwarebytes.

Reactions: L S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.