Avast in talks to merge with Norton

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if Kaspersky was next. Their market share is not that great although it's popular in security forums like this.

Avast actually surprised me, it used to have the second largest share in the market. I don't know what's the scenario this year as i can't find any reliable report that is not paid.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
It seems to me, or is Norton trying to destroy all European antiviruses? If Avast becomes part of Norton, then we will have only Eset and Bitdefender from the major players with their own technologies.
They're trying to buy them all up, if they can't compete them out of the market. Some enterprise companies and stakeholder companies have tried to buy them as well in the past. Fortunately, there are still enough other European players around:
  1. F-secure - Finland
  2. G-Data - Germany
  3. Bitdefender - Romania
  4. Kaspersky Labs - Russian Federation
  5. Dr. Web - Russian Federation
  6. Eset - Slovakia
  7. Sophos - United Kingdom
These are just the onces I remember and not acquired by another company as far as my limited Knowledge goes. Oh, there is also Panda Security from Spain, but that company got acquired by WatchGuard Technologies from Seattle, USA.

I'm curious about something, however the article says "UK-Based Avast PLc(AVST.L)", but isn't the company from- and based in Prague, Czech Republic (as well as AVG now too)? I know they're dual-listed in the London stock exchange (LSE) and Prague stock exchange (PSE).

Anyone knows more about on how this fits? Does that mean that they're only interested in the physical branch located in the UK?

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
  1. F-secure - Finland
  2. G-Data - Germany
  3. Bitdefender - Romania
  4. Kaspersky Labs - Russian Federation
  5. Dr. Web - Russian Federation
  6. Eset - Slovakia
  7. Sophos - United Kingdom
1 - they have their own behavioral analysis module, but this is practically the only one that they have created themselves, if you deprive them of the right to use Avira, then only behavioral analysis will not be able to protect against everything, so I do not consider F-Secure a major player with a full stack of its own technologies.
2 - G-Data is really good. But, it is unclear where the updates are? Also, their antivirus is quite unpopular. It seems that it is mainly used only in Germany? Therefore, it seems that its future is not guaranteed.
4, 5 - If I'm talking about European antiviruses, what does it have to do with products from Russia? :)
7 - Im sorry, yes, I completely forgot about Sophos! Although, the UK is no longer part of the European Union, and the company is more focused on the commercial market with a rather low income diversification and popularity in the home sector.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
1 - they have their own behavioral analysis module, but this is practically the only one that they have created themselves, if you deprive them of the right to use Avira, then only behavioral analysis will not be able to protect against everything, so I do not consider F-Secure a major player with a full stack of its own technologies.
2 - G-Data is really good. But, it is unclear where the updates are? Also, their antivirus is quite unpopular. It seems that it is mainly used only in Germany? Therefore, it seems that its future is not guaranteed.
4, 5 - If I'm talking about European antiviruses, what does it have to do with products from Russia? :)
7 - Im sorry, yes, I completely forgot about Sophos! Although, the UK is no longer part of the European Union, and the company is more focused on the commercial market with a rather low income diversification and popularity in the home sector.
2 - From what I understand G-Data is mostly focused on business and enterprise clientele in what seems to be German-speaking countries. Germany, Switzerland, Austria, perhaps even Belgium and Luxembourg as well. Especially so, since ECSO certificate recently.
4,5 - I named the Russian options, because technically being based out of Moscow makes you still European. I know it gets confusing, since the term "European" has mostly been used to refer to European Union nations, since around the late 80's (official renaming in 1992 to European Union). Continental-wise It's still a "European" company, if they are based out of Moscow. Idem ditto reasoning for Sophos (but then UK geolocation).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.