Avast in talks to merge with Norton

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I think all the major security companies see the writing on the wall. Windows Defender Is getting that dam good, and people will not need to purchase any big name security software anymore. The only way to servive is to try and join forces.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I think all the major security companies see the writing on the wall. Windows Defender Is getting that dam good, and people will not need to purchase any big name security software anymore. The only way to servive is to try and join forces.
Absolutely. Small players will get axed ruthlessly and only the giants can survive. Windows defender would eventually take 90 to 95% of the free market of consumer av segment. This would give them a tremendous advantage in identifying and mitigating zero day threats and inturn would result in higher corporate sales. So the future would be like this ... Microsoft, Norton/Symantec, Kaspersky and that's it.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Absolutely. Small players will get axed ruthlessly and only the giants can survive. Windows defender would eventually take 90 to 95% of the free market of consumer av segment. This would give them a tremendous advantage in identifying and mitigating zero day threats and inturn would result in higher corporate sales. So the future would be like this ... Microsoft, Norton/Symantec, Kaspersky and that's it.
Where’s ESET and Emsisoft?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The antivirus market has a time bomb called Microsoft Defender ready to explode and wipe out most security solution vendors.

This scenario was something I had already posted here and on Wilders Security a few years ago, Microsoft Defender is inevitable.

Avast is still one of the most profitable antivirus on the market, but for how long?

After the privacy scandals and the fact that it was the sale of data that financed and allowed the free version to exist, it was only a matter of time before investors realized that the future was bleak.

I'm not very happy with these acquisitions made by Norton Lifelock, it's a company with questionable conduct and products and it seems that, to our bad luck, it will be one of the players that will continue to exist in a world after Microsoft Defender.

I just hope Kaspersky Lab remains in existence and with its superior standard of quality.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.