Update Avast in talks to merge with Norton

RoboMan

Level 32
Verified
Content Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Now I wonder how legal this is in some countries... Avast already acquired a huge AV company like AVG. Now going for another (call it buying it or being bought) is taking a great deal of the marketshare. The monopoly move never ends well.

JoyousBudweiser

Level 12
Verified
Aug 22, 2013
I think all the major security companies see the writing on the wall. Windows Defender Is getting that dam good, and people will not need to purchase any big name security software anymore. The only way to servive is to try and join forces.
Absolutely. Small players will get axed ruthlessly and only the giants can survive. Windows defender would eventually take 90 to 95% of the free market of consumer av segment. This would give them a tremendous advantage in identifying and mitigating zero day threats and inturn would result in higher corporate sales. So the future would be like this ... Microsoft, Norton/Symantec, Kaspersky and that's it.

Azure

Level 26
Verified
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Absolutely. Small players will get axed ruthlessly and only the giants can survive. Windows defender would eventually take 90 to 95% of the free market of consumer av segment. This would give them a tremendous advantage in identifying and mitigating zero day threats and inturn would result in higher corporate sales. So the future would be like this ... Microsoft, Norton/Symantec, Kaspersky and that's it.
Where’s ESET and Emsisoft?

Nightwalker

Level 22
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
May 26, 2014
The antivirus market has a time bomb called Microsoft Defender ready to explode and wipe out most security solution vendors.

This scenario was something I had already posted here and on Wilders Security a few years ago, Microsoft Defender is inevitable.

Avast is still one of the most profitable antivirus on the market, but for how long?

After the privacy scandals and the fact that it was the sale of data that financed and allowed the free version to exist, it was only a matter of time before investors realized that the future was bleak.

I'm not very happy with these acquisitions made by Norton Lifelock, it's a company with questionable conduct and products and it seems that, to our bad luck, it will be one of the players that will continue to exist in a world after Microsoft Defender.

I just hope Kaspersky Lab remains in existence and with its superior standard of quality.