Battle Avast Internet Security vs G Data Internet Security

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I can not talk too much about GData, because I never tested it, but if they could add to Avast the GData behavior blocker, then, avast would become a higher software.

About Gdata:
It was very heavy 8in the pass), but I do not know if it still remains so.
Nevertheless, its engine and its malware signatures were good - what you would expect of a good German software.

Despite I've never tested Gdata, I would prefer it, 'cause ther web filter and engine (Bitdefender and their own), take a good advantage against the avast engine.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I can not talk too much about GData, because I never tested it, but if they could add to Avast the GData behavior blocker, then, avast would become a higher software.

About Gdata:
It was very heavy 8in the pass), but I do not know if it still remains so.
Nevertheless, its engine and its malware signatures were good - what you would expect of a good German software.

Despite I've never tested Gdata, I would prefer it, 'cause ther web filter and engine (Bitdefender and their own), take a good advantage against the avast engine.
Thanks @Piteko21
Are you sure that G Data use Bitdefender engine ?

Reactions: Piteko21

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If you have a new pc you can go with Gdata.

Very good web blocker, it's using Bitdefender engine so detection is very good.
It also has a very good behavioural blocker which can detect threats that signatures misses.

On the other side if you have an old system Gdata will make your browsing slow.
Also Gdata has slow scanning and removal speed (not to slow though ) but for me this isn't an issue.

As for Avast i agree with @Spawn.

p.s: i haven't tried the latest version of Gdata so i can't be quite sure if the newer version is still heavy on some sytems

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've checked Avast! because it was generously provided through a Free Giveaway here on MT, and because it was subsequently used upon our Acer system from 2013 through 2014 (without it's firewall) & we'd opted instead for Windows firewall chosen primarily for it's lightness. Hardened mode was set at "Medium", and we were highly satisfied with it's performance.:) Currently, Avast! includes a sandboxing feature which is a plus, although I have not used it personally. In order to see how it works on your own system, you can try it yourself. FREE DOWNLOAD
I have no experience with G-Data, but likewise encourage you to consider trying it out for yourself. Try 30 days without costs

@JB007, I hope you'll find the product that works best for you.:) Let us know what pans out, and your later reflections upon your choice.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Gdata uses their in house and Bitdefender engine where the detection rates is not surprising high.

Although Avast contains numerous useful features that definitely balance the protection.

Still see for yourself and judge it.

Reactions: tonibalas and JB007

aries91

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
I tried Gdata in the past (2 years ago)
What I can say is that it slow down the boot of the pc,and requires a medium-high livel of cpu during the scan.
The complete scan is very fast (faster than bitdefender or kaspersky, in my case) but removal is very slow.
It uses bitdefender engine and a own engine so it detected a lot of malware.

It is not so heavy like the previous versions but you must have a pc with a configuration hardware not too old.
and last but not least: german quality.
their support is amazing and fast.

Reactions: tonibalas

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I would have to agree with others with GDate..Does impact system performance but from what I saw in the past it does have pretty good detection rates. Avast just seems to be a good balance of performance and security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.