Battle Avast Internet Security vs Norton Security Premium

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Hi my friends :)

I currently have a Norton license for 10 months, but we have the Avast promo, which I see greatly improved recently and I have doubts about which is better protection for normal use, since in this partition I do not run malware.

Thanks in advance :)

Winizsol

Level 2
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Hey there!
I would personally recommend Avast Internet Security because it's more user-friendly, and I like the features of Avast. It has a good behaviour blocker, a firewall, a sandbox and the hardened mode can be really useful. It can clean your browser from toolbars, and stuff like that. Although I haven't used Norton too much.
I hope I helped,
Winizsol

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Utilise the 10 month license for Norton Security. Install and Forget.

SONAR is a powerful Behavioural Blocker, with Insight cards to inform you of downloaded software.

Not tested Anti-Ransomware for Avast or Norton. Latest avast 17.1.x has some bugs and GUI-issues.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
You know my friend, I have Norton and I am fully satisfied with it but I have to admit that Avast IS has tempted me so I solved by installing it on the computer I use for work and study (where I had Avast free).

I have to say that it has impressed me, nice UI, lots of tools and quite light on the system.
But I wouldn't have replaced Norton with Avast IS.:D

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Who is going to win? Find out tomorrow. :D:cool:
BTW I voted for Avast because it has new features and virus definitions from AVG are merged with Avast's.

Screenshot_1.png

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Avast has less system impact plus it has the advantage , that one can untick all unwanted bloat during install. norton has unneeded tuneup junk that has to be deactivated after install mannualy. Norton sonar , like file insight are slow in determining wheter a file is safe or unsafe. but the smart firewall of norton is top of the line. signature wise avast has a slight advantage. also the newly aquired idp ( identity protection aka zeroday protection module ) is nearly perfect and quite fast. to sum it all up , the 2 are close to eachother , but I have to favor avast for being able to disable ( my oh my what wordusage ;) ) the excess bloat. plus I like avast's gui better norton's looks like being crayonned by a toddler :p

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
@Sr. Normal 2.0 i will answer to your question with a question.
Do you want to tweak your security software or not?
If you answer that question your dilemma is solved;)
That is ladies and gentleman an straight to point answer! Norton out of the box has better protection! Thanks toni for making Life simple! ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
AIS - My Vote

Reasons -

1. Custom Install - able to not install unwanted stuffs
2. Offline protection - better than Norton (And I guess newly introduced behavior blocker works offline too)
3. Hardened Mode - Good protection mechanism - use or not...your choice - I would say, try & use Aggressive Mode
4. Toolbar - not required for Web protection
5. AVG merge advantage - signs, BB, etc...

Sandbox - is still useless on Win 10...cannot run many programs.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have not personally used Norton since waaaay back when it was worse than some viruses bricking many a PC on uninstall.
However Norton has obviously improved very much with strong protection.
Norton,to my surprise,did phenomenal in malware tests.
Avast Internet Security has excellent protection also.
AIS is lighter.
AIS custom installation.
AIS Hardened Mode > Aggressive
Personally I prefer AIS but I have to admit this one is pretty close
I would grab the AIS Giveaway license and take it for a spin

RVS2

Level 3
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Norton absolutely.

I have the Deluxe right now after using AIS trial and free, and Norton found 2 low level threats in the 1st scan.

Also did the Eraser scan which also found a 'high level' registry problem and repaired it.

Also it's not a performance limiter as I thought. Definitely have a smoother working laptop now but it could be the issues it found and fixed.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I prefer avast because I had a very bad experience with Norton in the past with an infected system and tons of bugs

Out of the box, Norton is better in online mode but propably a lot worse in offline mode
Tweaked avast with hardened mode would be a better and lighter than Norton with SONAR aggressive. I saw how much CPU SONAR used in aggressive mode
IDP is probably not as good as SONAR but I'm not sure how SONAR performs in offline mode. I know it would also work but don't know how good it is

Paid avast is not worth the money (only firewall and DNS protection are consistently working) => those have free alternatives => not worth $$$. Only free version does. If we can get the paid avast for free => great

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I prefer avast because I had a very bad experience with Norton in the past with an infected system and tons of bugs

Out of the box, Norton is better in online mode but propably a lot worse in offline mode
Tweaked avast with hardened mode would be a better and lighter than Norton with SONAR aggressive. I saw how much CPU SONAR used in aggressive mode
IDP is probably not as good as SONAR but I'm not sure how SONAR performs in offline mode. I know it would also work but don't know how good it is

Paid avast is not worth the money (only firewall and DNS protection are consistently working) => those have free alternatives => not worth $$$. Only free version does. If we can get the paid avast for free => great
I thought there's already a Avast IS 2017 for 365 days trial now ongoing in the giveaway section? Didn't you get it?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.