Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Forgive me if this is the wrong section for this...I was wondering what the best settings are for avast IS? I got a free license and am trying to configure it properly to be as secure as possible.
TIA

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Avast IS

If you pair up Avast Internet Security 7 on default settings with some common sense then you should have a very solid system protection.

Anyway here are some tweaks that Advanced users can apply to increase avast's protection:

1. Take full advantage of Avast Sandbox.
Avast Sandbox is a feature in avast! Internet Security 7 which allows you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the avast! Sandbox, preventing any damage to your computer.
The avast! Sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly recommend that you right click on your browser icon and select 'Always run in sandbox' so that you'll be completely protected while browsing the internet.

FoMha.png

To run a new or suspicious program inside the sandbox you just need to right click it and select "Run in sandbox"

2. Increase detection level

You can theoretically increase Avast's detection rate by going into the Avast settings > Real Time Shields > File system shield > Expert settings > Sensitivity and increase the Heuristics level from Normal to High.
This should result in new threats being detected faster however it can also increase your false positive ratio.

By default Avast will not scan for potentially unwanted programs (toolbars and other crap like that) however you can enable this suite to detect and remove PUP's by going into Avast Settings > Real Time Shields > File system shield > Expert settings > PUP and suspicious files > check Scan for potentially unwanted programs.

8ad2g.png

3. Take control of the behavior blocker

Avast 7 was built with user friendliness in mind so it's not a surprise that the developers decided to let Avast take all the decisions instead of the user.
If you are an advanced user and aren't annoyed by some occasional alerts then you can go to Avast Settings > Real Time Shields > Behavior shield > Expert settings > Action to take > select "Ask"

67Ozf.png

Reactions: avast! Protection

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I suggest also that from Web Shield as possible made the sensitivity high and activate on PUP's detection.

When doing a boot scanner made the configuration from high and check for PUP's detection too.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Awesome, thanks so much guys...how good is avast's bb and fw compared to comodo?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
According on my own understanding, Avast Firewall is known to be as "Silent Firewall" thus popup were likely user friendly and their BB is fine tune. Compared to Comodo its a HIPS and have a solid Firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.