avast! Optimal Protection settings by RejZoR

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've just re-uploaded new config based on new version, for new version, so it should finally work fine. Looks like old config file was also broken somehow.

Please try and and report how it goes. I had this as confirmed fixed, but I haven't updated the config file, so that might be the reason.
Still have the non-visible components bug. The 2016 > '17 fix still works fine though.

Reactions: Andytay70

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
That's weird. I have no idea what's going on with this one. I also don't know how they managed to break something this trivial that worked fine for years.

Reactions: AtlBo

Brn888

Level 1
May 13, 2017
RejZoR

Just one simple question LOL

Do you recommend use default install settings and then apply your custom config? Some other use postede this but I guess that you forgot to answer...

Thanks in advance!

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well, when you install avast!, you get default settings :) If you htink different shields, it only applies to those which are installed. If you only have File System Shield, it'll only apply for that one. I didn't extend settings to anything else except basic shields and settings.

Reactions: AtlBo

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
The problem is not on my end. avast! team screwed something up with v17 release and from their latest words, they won't be fixing this anytime soon. They are bringing in some new changes and that will fix this problem. Which might take a month or two. Basically, I'm expecting it to get fixed in avast! v18. Which is rather disappointing...

I also don't get it why running my 2016 config file first (and not even applying it) fixes the issue with v17...

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Hi all, does blocking AvastUI prevent sharing of good/bad files with Avast?
Because I want to block ads, but still want to share with Avast to help improve the product.
Thanks.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Because I want to block ads, but still want to share with Avast to help improve the product.
Thanks.
Does this help?

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Does this help?
Thanks. No definitive answer to my question there. I only see that there was concern that blocking AvastUI could possibly interfere with certain protection from Avast. So I'll personally not block AvastUI.

Reactions: oldschool

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015

Thanks.
You will find that in settings , privacy setting what you want to share and help improve the product.
Block ads has nothing to do ... , whether you want to help improve things within privacy

• +Reputation

boombastik

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
The link in blog dont exist anymore and also it stopped updated from 5/2017 and i doubt if it work in new version that has new settings.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
The link in blog dont exist anymore and also it stopped updated from 5/2017 and i doubt if it work in new version that has new settings.
To sum-up my own Avast config
  • Do a minimal install + the modules you need (mail shield + wifi analyzer in my case)
  • Go to the privacy tab and uncheck everything except community IQ
  • Go to the old settings and enable PUP detection and set hardened mode to moderate (or agressive if you want)
  • Go to the new shield settings, move to email and disable the avast signature at the end of emails
  • Always use common sense ;)
PD: I don't use the avast browser extension on my host machine.