Battle Avast Premier or Bitdefender Total Security?

Serj

Thread author
Feb 18, 2018
Hello, I'm interested in acquiring a family license for the various PC's which I use and I wonder if there is somewhat of a consensus regarding the better option (between Avast Premier and Bitdefender Total Security)

I'm a rather paranoid user as lately I've gotten interested in the whole crypto-craze, so ideally I'd very much like the maximum protection I could get.

Checking on AV comparatives revealed some similar results, so I wonder if there are any exclusive features maybe that differentiate the two?

If you guys have some alternatives which you would consider to be better than the ones I've mentioned, please do state that =)

Many thanks, and have a good day!

johnyjohn

Level 2
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
i used avast premier for some time but on watching a video on you tube the guy noticed avast had sneaked something on his pc with the down load there was no box to untick he went on about it and said it was very sneaky of avast so i did a complete reinstall windows 10 and replaced avast with ESET Internet Security very happy now and very light on the system to . hope this helps

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
If u want a different touch with excellent all round (automated) protection...and only suites that deserves a premium buy are :-
> Kaspersky , G data , Trend micro (Automated)
>F secure , Emsisoft(User dependent)
Bitdefender is full of bugs and heavy Extremely Overrated Signatures...Most of all Look elsewhere..
Avast is Good..free is more than enough pair with CF..

Firstly block AV-C page ..Extremely Important
Or else have a good antispam module..
whenever u visit that website:)

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
You want a maximum protection ? Use Emsisoft Anti-Malware(It's no more user dependent now), Sandbox your browser using Sandboxie, and use SUA. You're pretty much covered with that config ;) I will select neither between Avast Premier or Bitdefender because they're too expensive. I would rather use Avast Free + Comodo Firewall(cruelsister's config) :)

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i would choose emsisoft anti-malware or voodooshield.

of the 2 you listed, i would pick bitdefender.

i would go by what people on here have instead of av-comparatives. the results on av-c may be paid for.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm interested in acquiring a family license for the various PC's which I use and I wonder if there is somewhat of a consensus regarding the better option (between Avast Premier and Bitdefender Total Security)
Avast do not offer a multi-device package inclusive of their original price. For an additional Windows PC of Avast Premier, you'll be charged an extra £10 (GBP) on top of standard Avast Premier cost. Likewise to protect macOS, you will need to purchase Avast Security Pro for Mac.

Avast do offer Free Protection for Windows, macOS and Android, should you wish to opt-for that route.

Bitdefender Family Pack 2018 covers Windows, Mac, iOS and Android for unlimited devices per one household - fair use policy applies.
Bitdefender Family Pack 2018 - Security for All Household Devices

Norton Security Deluxe covers 5 devices and is currently on offer for UK 64% OFF / US $60 OFF (may vary per region), or purchase from an independent re-seller for cheaper deal.
Norton™ Security Deluxe - Antivirus Software - Official Site

1. My personal choice would be Norton Security Deluxe for a family household, up to 5 devices.
  2. Bitdefender Family Pack is a reasonable second choice, but check the reviews about it potential bandwidth bugs and slow downs.
  3. From experience Avast Premier just does not make the cut, nor is it value for money.

BEFORE YOU BUY - Run a Trial version of the desired software.

*Prices are respective of their own official online stores.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Bitdefender does not work on all PCs. Avast premier your AV is not different from Avast free, pay for the firewal and sanbox that Avast premier offers. I do not see it profitable. When with free Avast and Comodo Firewall you have the same without paying anything.

I have not voted for any.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
In my personal opinion, back when I tested BitDefender products for our Hub, I never seen such a sophisticated Behaviour Blocker as BitDefender's Advanced Threat Defense. So very accurate and efficient.

BitDefender always gave me that sense of security only a few antivirus could offer, such as Kaspersky or ESET. It's full of modules that if slightly tweaked can offer a great protection overall. As always, paired up with some nice browser extensions such as HTTS Everywhere, NoScript and uBlock to cover up every possible weak point malware can sneak through.

On the other hand, I never trusted Avast as a paid product. It seems like a modified version of the free software with some unnecessary complements. That's a software I would never pay for.

As for protecting your devices I'd stick, in this case, to BitDefender. Another great options are:

• Kaspersky
  • Norton
  • ESET
  • Emsisoft

Be sure you tweak every software according to your needs. And, aforementioned, first try the program with its free trial.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
It seems like a modified version of the free software with some unnecessary complements.
I agree.

That's why I never thought of buying the paid versions of Avast even if I could. I like Avast, and if I would want to use it again, its free version is enough for me (in fact, more than enough). :)

This is also the reason why I like Avast. Almost all the "essentials" are already included in the free version, unlike in other AVs. :cool:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
If u want a different touch with excellent all round (automated) protection...and only suites that deserves a premium buy are :-
> Kaspersky , G data , Trend micro (Automated)
>F secure , Emsisoft(User dependent)
Bitdefender is full of bugs and heavy Extremely Overrated Signatures...Most of all Look elsewhere..
Avast is Good..free is more than enough pair with CF..

Firstly block AV-C page ..Extremely Important
Or else have a good antispam module..
whenever u visit that website:)
i would choose emsisoft anti-malware or voodooshield.

of the 2 you listed, i would pick bitdefender.

i would go by what people on here have instead of av-comparatives. the results on av-c are paid for.

AV-C is a Necessary Evil. It's like having to go to school to learn stuff that isn't so useful in the practical world, you could still be a drop-out & educated (internet & other sources) and earn millions without it. AV-C covers all the basics, their results aren't fool-proof, but they do a good job on their specific test system. Saying that they're paid-for their results without proof isn't the right judgement, but yeah MT hub testers also does a good job here with customized test evaluations that is also another good reference. Even still, their videos have a note written "Take these results with a grain of salt as the samples tested with are quite small". Having different sources to evaluate is a boon for me atleast. Most of all it's up-to each user who should evaluate the trial of each software and choose specifically what works best for them & their system :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.