Advice Request Avast Premier Security - Thoughts?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

misterman2100

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
Hello all of you wonderful people!

I decided that I needed to keep closer tabs on the security of my family, mostly due to click happy people and partly due to living 20-40 minutes away from them.

Years ago, I had installed Avast Business on their PCs, as well as mine, and it worked fairly well. I had enjoyed Avast when it was the old Avast! and have heard only good things about the people who work there.

With that being said, is Avast Premier Security worth the price tag to keep my family secure? Is the we b interface similar to that of the old Avast Business portal?

Any personal experience with that specific software would be most welcomed!

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello there!

Avast Premier Security is a comprehensive security solution that offers advanced protection for your family's devices. It includes features such as antivirus, firewall, ransomware protection, webcam shield, and more. Whether it's for click-happy family members or the distance between you and your family, Avast Premier Security can help keep their devices secure.

In terms of the price tag, it's important to consider the value you'll be getting for the cost. Avast Premier Security provides a robust set of security features that can help protect against various threats, including malware, phishing attacks, and identity theft. It also offers additional features like a password manager and a secure browser. If you value the peace of mind that comes with comprehensive protection, then the price may be worth it.

As for the web interface, Avast Premier Security has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate. While I don't have specific information about the similarity to the old Avast Business portal, Avast has generally been known for its intuitive and user-friendly interfaces. You can expect a similar experience in terms of ease of use and accessibility.

Personal experiences with software can vary, so it's always helpful to hear from others who have used it. I would recommend checking out reviews and testimonials from other users to get a better understanding of their experiences with Avast Premier Security. Additionally, you can try reaching out to Avast directly or their customer support for any specific questions or concerns you may have.

Overall, Avast Premier Security offers a comprehensive security solution with a range of features to help protect your family's devices. Considering your positive past experiences with Avast and the good reputation of the company, it may be worth considering for your family's security needs.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Hello all of you wonderful people!

I decided that I needed to keep closer tabs on the security of my family, mostly due to click happy people and partly due to living 20-40 minutes away from them.

Years ago, I had installed Avast Business on their PCs, as well as mine, and it worked fairly well. I had enjoyed Avast when it was the old Avast! and have heard only good things about the people who work there.

With that being said, is Avast Premier Security worth the price tag to keep my family secure? Is the we b interface similar to that of the old Avast Business portal?

I used to love avast and avg during the haydays. Wouldn't Run them now.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 126

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Avast is a good antivirus, but over time it has become rather cumbersome and annoying, with requests for additional products (such as the optimizer, which is useless, etc.).

You can buy it, but there are also alternatives like Eset, Kaspersky or F-Secure :)

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I think Avast will probably protect users from serious malware that can steal or damage your data. However, I think that there are better alternatives when it comes to annoying PUPs and PUAs, usually ESET and Kaspersky work best for my taste. Kaspersky also has a free option, which is a bit less intrusive than Avast and provides decent protection.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I commented on this quite a few months ago. All popups can be disabled on the registered version of AVAST, I doubt they will repeat the data selling scandal after they were sold. It also offers solid protection. I even posted a screenshot of the setting, unfortunately I'm not using it right now and can't provide a new one.

Also, it has quite a modular installation so if you think something is bloat, just don't install that feature. Not so true if we are talking about Avast One that has less options when installing.

It offers excellent protection and if we go by test results it has been improving since they were sold. Also Hardened Mode works quite well.

Anyway, all major vendors offer similar levels of protection. I'd test it on your machine to check impact and potential problems with your hardware and software. Using many of the major brands over the years I can say they all have some problems, from making the computer unable to connect to wireless printers to some sites just failing to work. Test it for the entire trial period, make sure to use your computer as you normally would use it and see if you have any unexpected problem.

If you can get a good deal then go for it, but always test before you buy. If you don't like it or have some unexpected problem, test some other solution like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, etc...

misterman2100

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
with Avast, avg, being apart of norton now Gen digital you really cant go wrong for protection. Avast did have it's scandal but is now owned and operated differently and i don't think Gen digital would allow Avast to do what it did before.
Yeah, I veered away (no pun intended) from Avast after the Jumpshot scandal. We'll see what Gen Digital does in the near future, but it seems Avast has been left to its own devices by and large.

misterman2100

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
Avast is a good antivirus, but over time it has become rather cumbersome and annoying, with requests for additional products (such as the optimizer, which is useless, etc.).

You can buy it, but there are also alternatives like Eset, Kaspersky or F-Secure :)
Do they pull these shenanigans even in paid-for products?

I have used F-Secure in the past and it has a nice price point compared to Eset.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
I think Avast will probably protect users from serious malware that can steal or damage your data. However, I think that there are better alternatives when it comes to annoying PUPs and PUAs, usually ESET and Kaspersky work best for my taste. Kaspersky also has a free option, which is a bit less intrusive than Avast and provides decent protection.
Kaspersky's Free Version is great. Same protection as paid minus the firewall.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Since you want to monitor from afar as a requirement, I recommend Xcitium OpenEDR. It has a web portal where you can monitor and manage the security of all machines. With the portal you can set centralized configuration and review intrusions and malware occurrences. Cost is $4/pc/month postpaid, 1st month free (for up to 500 machines).

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Avast Premier was discontinued, and replaced by Avast Premium Security and (NEW) Avast One.

What is Avast One?
The free version of Avast One (Avast One Essential) includes comprehensive Avast antivirus protection and limited access to VPN Secure Connection, Password Protection, and Software Updater.

The paid version of Avast One includes all the features available in the free version, as well as unlimited access to VPN Secure Connection, Password Protection, and Software Updater. The following additional features are also available:
  • Sensitive Data Shield
  • Web Hijack Guard
  • Webcam Protection
  • Disk Cleaner
  • Driver Updater

1704461368545.png
  • Avast One covers for either 5 devices OR 30 devices
  • Premium covers for either 10 devices OR 1 device

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
As i mentioned before, the premium version does NOT have any popups ! Very strong protection, in my opinion one of the best AV / Antimalware you can get.
I use the whole package, VPN, Optimizer and its working good. I have Avast running in Hardened Mode, i do some malware testing myself and nothing has passed it.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
As i mentioned before, the premium version does NOT have any popups ! Very strong protection, in my opinion one of the best AV / Antimalware you can get.
I use the whole package, VPN, Optimizer and its working good. I have Avast running in Hardened Mode, i do some malware testing myself and nothing has passed it.
You can get licenses for dirt cheap and it's an amazing product. I don't mind paying $22 every 2 years to have all these premium features. I switch antivirus programs like a switch my shoes but my avast/avg i always come back to occasionally.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Truth ✌️

• Applause
Reactions: Jengo and oldschool

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
You can get licenses for dirt cheap and it's an amazing product. I don't mind paying $22 every 2 years to have all these premium features. I switch antivirus programs like a switch my shoes but my avast/avg i always come back to occasionally.
Indeed you can. I have it installed on a Win7 desktop, because finding any other AV’s who still support 7 is slim. Good ones, anyway. I got a 1yr/1 user for I think $6, or so. No complaints, no pop ups, very very light on resources. Didn’t install any fluff, hardened mode as well. Honestly, no issues whatsoever ✌️

Update… Got the deal here, from @SerialCart 👍

Last edited:

Pilot777

Level 1
Apr 25, 2022
But it does let this malware (VirusTotal) run freely despite Hardened Mode being enabled. I find it difficult to believe that this sample is on the Avast safe software list. Other samples get blocked by Hardened Mode just fine.
154458.jpg
153815.jpg
153649.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.