Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Which one will you choose and why?

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Of course, Norton Antivirus.
I use it. and also, I've tried Avast pro.
Memory usage, probably about the same. and on the detection or prevention, Norton would be much better.

V

Vextor

I've decided to choose Norton Antivirus.
Norton is a great choice of antivirus as it has excellent detection rates and good memory usage. I've done tests and it is a great AV. It also has a simplistic user interface.

Avast is still a good antivirus and has great detection rates as well. I believe it is a cheaper option compared to Avast! but don't quote me on that.
Thats said, you still need some other type of protection apart from an anti-virus. Norton IS has SONAR and avast! has a sandbox and a good behavior blocker. So you can choose one or better, get an Internet Security.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I would go for Norton Antivirus 2012 mostly due to their awesome Insight technology (checks where files came from and how long they've been around to stops new online threats before they can cause you trouble.) which for me it's a model for how the clouds should be used.
As far as the antivirus engine goes both products have very good definitions but what NAV 2012 has is a better behavior blocker (SONAR) which in Avast seem to be very poorly developed.
Also as a side note , a user would be able to find NAV 2012 at a discounted price more easily than it could find Avast.

Vote : NAV.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Gonna have to say what MrXidus said
I generally avoid [product] VS [product] as they're never based on real facts but rather peoples own opinions. So on behalf of that, All these products have cons and pros. So my vote is voided for each one of these polls or threads in the past or future. Thanks.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I would go for Avast pro 6; it has the sandbox-feature which lets you try the application in an isolated environment without infecting the OS, when it kicks in. Depending on Avast's heuristics it will be determined if the sandbox will come in play or not. In the pro version you also have manual sandboxing.

My best advice is that you try both for 30days and see which you like best.

Regards

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'd have to give it in to Avast! Pro Antivirus for it's virtualization features. It's really handy when surfing and dealing with risky files. Avast! Pro Antivirus' detection rates and heuristics are not far from Norton's so that's okay.

MDRockstar

Dec 14, 2011
Norton antivirus is better against zero day threats with is sonar technology.
Avast and norton have about the same detection rate with on-demand test.(av-test,av-comparatives)
Norton is a better product for me but avast is not far behind with is features.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Both are excellent products, but I would go with Avast Pro.

Because:

Norton's false positive problem is getting out of control and Norton is too expensive.
It is hard to add exclusions for false positives, because your safe files keep getting deleted each time you restore them. Symantec gives away hardly nothing for free without a catch.

Avast Pro has sandbox features and digital signature checking which eliminates most false positives and protects against many unknown malware.
Avast Pro is very easy to configure and is lighter than Norton. Avast has excellent customer support unlike Symantec.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For Norton they have highly accurate Insight and Sonar while Avast with known powerful signature features like Web Shield, Sandbox, Behavior Blocker, Network Shield and etc, as version 7 was released it made huge improvement on that components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.