Troubleshoot Avast Replacement

Gadsilla

Thread author
May 10, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Looking for a new anti virus that I can replace Avast with.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I've looked through different forums, and the internet in general. I've found that a lot of lists telling you what AW to buy is often sponsored by the anti viruses themselves, or the creators of the list have some other indirect profit motive. Therefore I don't find it as reliable, unlike this forum which appears very genuine.
Hello, I'm a current Avast user with very little to no experience within the technicalities of how anti viruses work or anything beyond that in this field. I've been using Avast for around four years, and I don't like the direction Avast has taken lately. It appears that Avast is aiming at becoming the jack of all trades, which in my perception often ends up with being the master of none. Avast has also gotten quite annoying lately constantly poking me to purchase a new software they've created, like Avast driver updater, Avast cleanup, Avast securline VPN, Avast passords, ect. I'm using my Avast together with Malwarebytes premium, and I've never had any issue with Malewarebytes.

Here's a screenshot of my Avast: Screenshot - 82e42a86ad54fadfb35ac89581c342ce - Gyazo
It's asking me to purchase Avast cleanup, disguised as me having the ability to clean by clicking ''Løs Problemer'' ''Solve the issues''.

Due to the reasons mentioned above I've decided to not renew my Avast premier and I'm looking for a new anti virus. I'm looking for one that isn't needy, and only serves its purpose as an anti virus. I'd prefer one that uses very little resources. Through my observation on the internet looking at antiviruses it appears that Bitdefender is a very popular anti virus, however there appears to be some sort of eccentric behavior around it which might disguise a reality where Bitdefender isn't as good as it's perceived.

Has anyone tested out Bitdefender and is able to give some sort of recommendation, or review ? I've read through some reviews on this forum, but I did not material that compares Avast to Bitdefender.

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I would suggest Eset nod32 antivirus. Eset internet security if you absolutely need to manage your network and use a firewall. If you don't need all those network features Nod 32 antivirus will be enough.Superb protection and extremely light on resources.

Emsisoft would be my second choice. A little heavier, but outstanding protection and an excellent behavior blocker.

Upvote 0

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I would simply stick with Avast. Well, i use avast premier too and have no ads at all, no popups and no upgrade button on the main menü. but i unticked all ads/popups/datasharings and so on. So it is realy only a metter of configuration. Same with all the bloat. If u dont need it, just do a simple costum install. :) I myself have only, av,web,bb and gamingmode installed. Lightes suit for me, much lighter than anything else like kaspersky ect. Do a right install and u only get what you want. A light av without bloat and popups. :)

Upvote 0

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
let's not compare Avast Free with Kaspersky Free, Avast Free's dynamic modules make it more powerful than just barebones Kaspersky signatures.

you won't find a free security suite that can compare with Avast Free's modules, you gotta get a paid one if you want to replace it.

your wallet might be able to handle $6-7 every year for a KIS license i presume?

Upvote 0

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Don't get me wrong, Avast offers solid products with tons of features and a behavior blocker which is slowly becoming very effective against zero days.
The question is, at what cost??

Avast products are becoming very difficult to recomend due to their deceptive practices. You may try, use, and love their products, but privacy concious people will want to avoid Avast products.

Variety will help you make a good decision. Try other products, and read about what others say about them. There is so much to discover.(y)

Upvote 0

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
after the new update of avast that came today, i advise you to go with another company.
avast becomes completely bad. they add something new in the category of privacy (show offers for other 3rd party products)
now you can see offers from avast and other companies:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
what do you people think free antivirus providers make their money off of? donations?
how can anyone be mad at a free suite forcing ads on you, you surely expect something like this
and if i remember correctly the paid suite lets you disable all this, so where is the issue?

Upvote 0

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Comodo, Forticlient, Qihoo, VoodooShield. There's nothing more, but it's much better than Avast and even free.
Qihoo is absolute horse.., their licensed engines have days delayed signatures, and the behavior blocker is an open hole, @Der.Reisende can talk about it more
Comodo, well, Comodo, sure, sandbox everything
VS, covers only signatures and anti-exe, a security suite covers way more than that
Forticlient, not even close to Avast's capabilities, only useful for web sigs.

or did you mean all these combined together?

Upvote 0

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
what do you people think free antivirus providers make their money off of? donations?
how can anyone be mad at a free suite forcing ads on you, you surely expect something like this
and if i remember correctly the paid suite lets you disable all this, so where is the issue?
Peoples these days complaining about everything. Its normal, even when there is no complain, they need to. Its how humans are.

Upvote 0

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i talk about the paid one and that thing does not acceptable even if there is an option to disable these ads.

Upvote 0

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
The biggest problems of Bitdefender is dead forum support and Bitdefender don't offer any support for the free version of Bitdefender at all.:mad: In addition, Bitdefender Free is not compatible with Windows 10 Build 1803 as far as I know. I have used Bitdefender Free for over a year now before upgraded 1803. Now I have to wait for Bitdefender to check if the free version compatible with the Build 1803.
Yes BD free is compatible with latest windows 1803 , see forum link

Does Bitdefender Free compatible with Windows 10 Build 1803?

If you have BD version ? 1.0.12.11

Upvote 0

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Kaspersky, ESET, Emsisoft, G-Data... you can't miss with any of those vendors. Try trial and you'll see which one works for you
Amen. (y)
oK8AHBd.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Talking from experience: stay away from Avast products... At least for now, or until they take another route on the direction they're heading.

Aforementioned. few software there are that are free and are as powerful or complete as Avast Free. If you wish to pay for an antivirus, which I assume you do since you have Avast Premier, my recommendation would be to test some software you like using the free trials ans see how it behaves. Remember software works different on each system, since each PC is a whole new world.

Suggestions you could try:
  • Kaspersky, for complete protection
  • ESET for great, lightweight protection
  • Emsisoft for a great BB and signatures
  • BitDefender for a complete, intelligent suite

Or free combos, like:
  • Windows Defender + OSArmor
  • Windows Defender + VoodooShield
  • BitDefender Free + OSArmor (love this one! I use it on my work computer)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.