In-depth Comparison

MegenM

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
Hi All,

Which one is better: Avast or AVG?

• If Avast is the one, which security product do you use or would you prefer? Premium Security or Ultimate
  • If AVG, then which product in AVG is the best to go with?

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i am using both AVG Ultimate and avast premier .... Avast has the sandbox which i dont really care much and they are almost the same thing with almost the same impact ....
yes i do care about their ugly past habit of sniffing into someone computer . After my licenses expire i will most probably not go back. Probably my Fsecure or gdata will be the future

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I prefear AVG UI.
Some months later, are the UI and Avast sandbox still the only differences between these 2 softwares ?

• +Reputation
Reactions: blackice

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Hello,
I prefear AVG UI.
Some months later, are the UI and Avast sandbox still the only differences between these 2 softwares ?
I think so, that's in the paid verions.
In the free version, the difference is that Avast has a Wifi inspector while AVG has a File Shredder.

• Thanks
Reactions: JB007

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
+2 on the AVG GUI.

AVG also has a better user support forum than Avast. The mods and members there seem to be much more polite and willing to help and give useful answers. I have read the Avast forum quite a bit and a lot of the content there is just plain rude and condescending. The Avast evangelists there have a lot to learn as far as people skills go.

Also just comparing what people post in the two forums, I get the idea that people have a lot more problems with Avast than they do with AVG. I am no expert myself but it seems that way to me. Maybe it's just because so many more people use Avast than AVG.

I think AVG is more minimalist than Avast, it just has the features I want to use. Avast seems to really want you to use all their extra fluff/bloatware, even in the free version. I do like the AVG file shredder and network inspector. AVG Ransomware Shield works well too, much better than CFA. The AVG ransomware shield has not stopped me from downloading or running anything. I am not using the Cleaner function on AVG. I saw on posts from other folks here on MT recommending the HiBit Uninstaller so I tried it and the junk files cleaner it has works great so I changed from Revo Free to HiBit.

C.H.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I don't use either anymore, but last I saw they were almost exactly the same with a few minor changes. As for the GUI, with older versions I preffered avast. For newer versions (darker color schemes) I prefer AVG. But in the end GUI doesn't matter at all that's all just personal preference.

Reactions: JB007 and oldschool

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
If I talk about the free versions then Avast Free now comes with Firewall while AVG Free doesn't.
No, it doesn't, firewall is still paid. Ransomware shield is free, it wasn't in the past.
But I don't think Avast really needs the Firewall, because of Hardened Mode. The Firewall basically obeys the same whitelist as Hardened Mode to allow or block anything. Their threat network is huge, with 400M users, Hardened Mode is great, that's why I use Avast Free, not other free AV is as good.

Also just comparing what people post in the two forums, I get the idea that people have a lot more problems with Avast than they do with AVG. I am no expert myself but it seems that way to me. Maybe it's just because so many more people use Avast than AVG.
Because more people use Avast forum. What AVG has isn't really a forum, it's a support thread system, all posts get approved and answered by the AVG advisors.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
No, it doesn't, firewall is still paid. Ransomware shield is free, it wasn't in the past.
Firewall wasn't free before but it is now. I even tested Avast Free Firewall a couple of weeks ago when it was still in beta. Now it has been released officially to stable builds.
Big changes to Firewall! — We've redesigned our Firewall, improved its protection, and made it free for everyone to use. If you've got Avast Free Antivirus, you'll find your new Firewall in your Protection menu. It's already turned on and protecting you.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Firewall wasn't free before but it is now. I even tested Avast Free Firewall a couple of weeks ago when it was still in beta. Now it has been released officially to stable builds.

Ow...ok.
If you keep reading te thread, they say Firewall didn't unlock, it's available only for very few people. It will take 5-9 weeks to get to everyone.

2021-08-29.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.