Aventador's Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Aventador said:
4. Needs 8 processes to run

Is this necessarily a bad thing as long as resource usage stays low?

One upside (Which I may be wrong on) is that if a piece of malware manages to terminate one of the processes, others will continue to stay running. Similar to how Chrome separates it's tabs into multiple processes rather than just bundling them into one or two.

Cheers for the feedback on AVG by the way. Appreciated :)

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
It's a bad thing when a customer asks "What is all this crap running in the back round I never had before". AVG isn't even a suite and it runs more then 2 processes. If NIS,CIS, and KUS can do it with 2 processes then so can AVG. Avast uses only 2.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Aventador said:
It's a bad thing when a customer asks "What is all this crap running in the back round I never had before". AVG isn't even a suite and it runs more then 2 processes. If NIS,CIS, and KUS can do it with 2 processes then so can AVG. Avast uses only 2.

When you mention home users you've got a very good point. Maybe they have a good reason for running 8 processes. Have you looked into it?

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
Why bother. It's not there to prevent malware termination. If do then every other av company would be doing the same. Rather annoying actually. Just like you are forced to use Safe Search if you want web site ratings. With Ssfe Search you finds are no where near as good.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
True, if they have no valid reason they should get with the times. Nice config by the way.

P

Plexx

Aventador said:

If we are talking about the beginner user I highly doubt they will check All users processes for starters...

Also, if you are the one installing the stuff on the customers computer, then I would believe you would install the minimal stuff to keep them happy otherwise it ain't good business. So a couple more processes here will not hurt at all.

Heck, if processes are such a bother then how about start tweaking the services and strip down to near bare bones and give it to your customers?

Having multiple processes is not a bad thing at all as long as the solution does the job and AVG does it regardless. What matters the most is CPU and I/O not the amount of processes and RAM usage (RAM up to a certain extend)...

AVG is still a good solution for being free.

As for the dislikes points you listed, it only leads me to believe you will only trust avast! since the opposite of your points are exactly what avast is, apart from boot times but then again you don't even believe in those since you still keep the "know it all" mentality...
Code:
Dislikes about AVG:
1. One a day automatic updates
2. Lack of a web shield
3. Does not detect anything until executed
4. Needs 8 processes to run
5. Forced to use AVG Secure Search if you want site reputations
6. Longer overall boot up times 
7. Very slow at removing threats. Reminds me of MSE
8. Cannot password lock settings

One more thing, you cannot compare the slow time of removing threats from AVG with MSE. MSE is far more slow than any other solution I have touched but comparing in a way AVG with MSE in removal threats time is like comparing Apples with Pears.

AVG ain't the fastest and I won't argue that but it ain't slow either.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
I can compare anything I want. It's my thread. I don't install everything. But if someone asks what a good free antivirus is I assure you it don't be AVG. Dont need someone calling me up complaining. As far as you Biozfear. I spent more time with AVG then you. I spent all weekend. You spent a mere 15 inside a VM with it. Very different. I play in the real world and don't hide inside a VM. Thanks. I have tried and used just about everything out there. Paid and free. But why spend money if it will drill let you down. For a free solution Avast remains the best. Real av testing by professional companies proves that. Not YouTube videos.

15 minutes inside a VM will not prove anything. Hence the reason for 15-30 day trials. Just bought new tires for my car. Have a 30 day trial on them cause 15 min is not long enough to properly evaluate them. I spend longer with AVG them some meaningless YouTube video make in a VM. My evaluation is based on REAL world time.

Matt from Remove-Malware was one of the first makes of malware removal videos. He talks and teaches. Thats what a video should be about. Now all the wannabies have flooded YouTube with music videos and someone aimlessly clicking a mouse and swirling it in circles. Speak up.............Let the world hear your voice. Heck there are even reviews on various languages. I watch all these wannabie videos to get a good laugh. Its free entertainment. Widlers has banned posting these videos cause they are a dime a dozen and pointless.

FYI..............I am a systems engineer by trade. Run a side business making house calls. I live and work in the real world thank you very much. Just cause someone makes an antivirus review video it does not make them "Dr.Malware Remover". Heck look at languy99...............His videos are worth more even though they can be biased.

Also the only people viewing these videos are geeks like us. No person in there right mind (average Joe) says "Hey I am gonna go on YouTube to look up how AVG Free 2013 removed malware". I evaluate software from a customers point of view. If I wouldn't use it then I will not recommend it. 90% of pc owners don't even know what antivirus they are currently running. Never mind looking up YouTube videos to watch malware removal on a VM. Throwing 20 malware samples at an antivirus and seeing how it reacts is not a video review. A review is something that PCMag or PCWorld does. Also no one comes across 20 malicious links in a matter of 15 minutes or less. That is no where near real world. The average Joe may come across 1-2 malicious links per year. I have seen videos where someone is copying and pasting links every second (win7holic). Now ask yourself this.................Is that even possible to the everyday pc user? Nope. Also any time you flood an antivirus your not giving it enough time to react to threats. Try copying and pasting a link then waiting at least 30 seconds to see what really happens. Even if you only use 5 malicious links that is still more then the average pc user will come across in a year. Maybe 10 would be good.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
sometimes 15 mins in a VM can teach you something which even 15 weeks wouldn't in a real world !!!

P

Plexx

Aventador said:
I can compare anything I want. It's my thread. I don't install everything. But if someone asks what a good free antivirus is I assure you it don't be AVG. Dont need someone calling me up complaining. As far as you Biozfear. I spent more time with AVG then you. I spent all weekend. You spent a mere 15 inside a VM with it. Very different. I play in the real world and don't hide inside a VM. Thanks. I have tried and used just about everything out there. Paid and free. But why spend money if it will drill let you down. For a free solution Avast remains the best. Real av testing by professional companies proves that. Not YouTube videos.

And who told you I only have one system? Don't assume that I only have one system because I do testing on VM. Might as well get one thing clear here: I do testing on both environments but use VM to record.

Wait, you going to tell me to just simply do it on a real system the recording. Sure I can do that but then look at what happened to Norton's video I put up... Then again you dislike videos without voice so you wouldn't even know what I am referring to.

You can ask Earth about my tests since we both share opinions and experiences based on real systems, not simply on VM.

Sure it is your thread. Will respect you for that but at the same time respect other users as well. Posting a thread about your config is bound to have replies whether you like it or not. Whether you like it or not, you are misleading users that do not have advanced knowledge in this field by comparing the removal process with MSE.

I ask you: what tools did you use to measure the removal process speed? And what speed is the most acceptable? No tools right? Avast speed is the most acceptable?

And when I have based my opinions on Youtube videos? If youtube videos are irrelevant to you, simply don't watch it. No one forces you to watch. But at the same time, stop forcing your opinion on other users like you have in other threads and in the past, as well as stop making assumptions without any proofs. Also stop indirectly put down other testers simply because they don't do voice recordings. Just because we don't talk during the video does not make us less testers than others nor indicates that we are afraid to speak.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
I love all you YouTube malware video makers. The world if filled with Matt wannabies. Matt from Remove-Malware was on the first video makers for antivirus testing. He uses his voice and is not shy. People make YouTube videos and think they are 'Dr.Malware Remover". Again I will say this...................I used AVG Free 2013 ALL weekend. On my REAL laptop. Not in a VM. You spent 15 min making some YouTube video like all the others out there. I am a systems engineer by trade and make house calls on the side. I live and work in the real world of computers. No hiding behind a VM. I gave AVG a though try. I tried it years ago also. Same thing. The fact that Chrome flagged something malicious before AVG did is pathetic. Same links used were stopped and removed by Avast in a mere second.

MDTechVideos

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Aventador said:
FYI..............I am a systems engineer by trade. Run a side business making house calls. I live and work in the real world thank you very much. Just cause someone makes an antivirus review video it does not make them "Dr.Malware Remover". Heck look at languy99...............His videos are worth more even though they can be biased.

I do not usually like to get involved in someone else's business because it can lead to controversy, but I have to sincerely thank whoever banned this guy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.