Aventador's Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
Well hard drives are known to fail. Internal ones due to heat. Especially on a laptop. What good is Rollback gonna do ya if your pc does not boot? Nothing. A system image stored on a seperate hard drive is the best and most secure method of protecting your stored data. No one uses Rollback no a days. It's under developed. Most external hard drives will last 10 years cause they are not under as much heat and use. Never said I like to try various software. Avast is the only av I ever installed on my laptop.

D

Deleted member 178

Aventador said:
Well hard drives are known to fail. Internal ones due to heat. Especially on a laptop. What good is Rollback gonna do ya if your pc does not boot?

did you read what i wrote, i just talk about Time saving !

Nothing. A system image stored on a seperate hard drive is the best and most secure method of protecting your stored data.

We all know that.

No one uses Rollback no a days. It's under developed.

Maybe you, but not the rest of the world. Rollback RX or returnil are still in development, unlike comodo time machine that is postpone.

Most external hard drives will last 10 years cause they are not under as much heat and use.

Tell that to my ex-HDD that failed 6 months after i bought it. no one is completely safe from a malfunction or a bad component during the assembly.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
Well you bought a faulty hard drive. No need to quote and seperate every sentence I make. Rather annoying thank you. Excessive quoting is in fact a violation of the house rules. Did you keep your external hard drive plugged in? I don't. Only plug it in when I am backing up.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Those Rollback software are good for a quick temporary measure, or else a system image or clean installation.

I have used ReturnilSS 3.3 BETA, and I would use it like SBIE and not as a backup measure.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Aventador said:
Boot up is slower with AVG. I still dont care for the fact that it needs to run so many processes. 8 total.

I see, AVG as far as I know have always had a lot of processes. :s

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
Gonna ride on AVG for the weekend. See how it goes. Thanks to BoXX28 for hiding the upgrade ads I can install it on customers pc's with no worrying about upgrade nags. Default install except mail shield. Not needed for web based email.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
So far so good. I dislike the once a day update frequency with no ways to change it. I had Avast configured to check for updates every 2 hours.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Gonna ride on AVG for the weekend. See how it goes.

I shall be interested to hear the verdict.

Who in there right mind sits and watches there computer while it's mounting a new image?
lololol.....Not me.

Rollback cannot save you from a HD failure. Any good pc guru should know this.

It might be like stating the obvious, but it needed to be said.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
I use Chrome as indicated by my config post. No toolbar in Chrome. Only IE users get the toolbar. Chrome merely gets a do not track button.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
48 hour testing complete. Mounted my Avast image.

Likes about AVG:
1. Nice GUI
2. Decent detection rate
3. Light on resources
4. Fast full scan

Dislikes about AVG:
1. One a day automatic updates
2. Lack of a web shield
3. Does not detect anything until executed
4. Needs 8 processes to run
5. Forced to use AVG Secure Search if you want site reputations
6. Longer overall boot up times
7. Very slow at removing threats. Reminds me of MSE
8. Cannot password lock settings

I downloaded several malware links in these 48 hours. AVG stop about 1 out of 50 in its tracks when clicked on you completed downloading. Heck Chrome managed to block more malware then AVG upon completion of downloads. AVG did detect a lot of malware when using the shell scan. It did faily decent when executing malware but for me that's too late. Also it requires user interaction to remove threats. Thats not good in the hands of a beginner. Avast still remains the best free antivirus on the market in my opinion.

abhi95sinha

Aug 29, 2012
True. :D

I myself was an avast user before it launched v7 which caused slow downs and underperformance in windows :(

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I myself was an avast user before it launched v7 which caused slow downs and underperformance in windows

Maybe you should leave the web shield heuristics at the default setting.

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
Even with the web shield on high there is no slow downs in browsing. I am also on a 20MB connection.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Even with the web shield on high there is no slow downs in browsing

I believe it. My family uses anywhere from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7, and they have yet to experience hangs or slowdowns with web shields set to high. My brother insists on AVG, so he will never know (brand loyalty?).

Aventador

Thread author
Sep 5, 2012
AVG was "da bomb" many years ago when it came to free antiviruses. It was one of he first on the market. No one cared for Avast and it's media player like GUI. But now the tables have turned. The fact that Chrome threw off more alerts then AVG says it all to me.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
AVG was "da bomb" many years ago when it came to free antiviruses. It was one of he first on the market. No one cared for Avast and it's media player like GUI. But now the tables have turned

No one could have said it better. That truly is the gist.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
heh, my favorite feature of Avast 4.8 was the whole Nuclear Bomb alarm with the hazard and the voice saying "Caution a virus has been detected"

When my dad had it on his computer and i used it (note I wasn't a smart internet/Techy user as I am today) When that popped up It scared the living soul out of me lol

Good times...good times.... Now I just fire up Avast 4.8 in the VM and have that taste of that Nostalgia. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.