App Review AVG 2013 BETA Test and Review(MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

What should be the next product I test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Makin some AV testing vids on Youtube. Quality and so fourth is improving with each vid. This review took me many hours to make, so please do not be that critical. ;)

*Know task-bar is missing, sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

sandboxie should be tested,, because CIS was heavily done by Biozfear ;)

ok, now the comments:

0- The visible area is too small , must be fullscreen.
1- High RAM usage is not necessarily "Heavy" (example ESET use around 100mb but it is light as a feather); dont say "it is heavy" but rather the RAM usage is high.
2-The calculation formula is : (total files)-(leftovers)/total files, your method may induce people who don't speak english or are deaf to misunderstand.
3- All your windows (Links, Killswitch, etc...) must be organized and clear so you will not loose time to set all up during the link test. it is why generally link-tests are done first. Killswitch should be shown during all the test for better comprehension of what happened in real-time.

except that not bad ;)

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
sandboxie should be tested,, because CIS was heavily done by Biozfear ;)

ok, now the comments:

0- The visible area is too small , must be fullscreen.
1- High RAM usage is not necessarily "Heavy" (example ESET use around 100mb but it is light as a feather); dont say "it is heavy" but rather the RAM usage is high.
2-The calculation formula is : (total files)-(leftovers)/total files, your method may induce people who don't speak english or are deaf to misunderstand.
3- All your windows (Links, Killswitch, etc...) must be organized and clear so you will not loose time to set all up during the link test. it is why generally link-tests are done first. Killswitch should be shown during all the test for better comprehension of what happened in real-time.

except that not bad ;)

I appreciate your suggestions and I will implement all of your suggestions in the next video(looks like Sandboxies going to be the winner). Also, at 1:55-2:00 I added caption saying detection score. Also, 2nd update, the black bars are being removed on the video thanks to the power of YouTube video editing(hopefully won't look too blurry).

P

Plexx

I do have a request: Can you also test Bufferzone Pro with default settings and run malicious links that will download exe's.

Then change the settings in Bufferzone to run everything inside Bufferzone and execute a couple of samples you can get it from the Virus Hub here.

During the above process, keep Killswitch opened.

Once done just do as normal clear contents inside Bufferzone, restart and show killswitch again.

Reason I am asking this is because when I downloaded the latest Bufferzone and ran on both VM and VB It was causing me problems. Also I had 64bit OS architecture and they only recently added support for 64bit.

Other than that, on topic, agree with Umbra.

There is still a CIS video I am about to do but it will take a few days at least.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
I do have a request: Can you also test Bufferzone Pro with default settings and run malicious links that will download exe's.

Then change the settings in Bufferzone to run everything inside Bufferzone and execute a couple of samples you can get it from the Virus Hub here.

During the above process, keep Killswitch opened.

Once done just do as normal clear contents inside Bufferzone, restart and show killswitch again.

Reason I am asking this is because when I downloaded the latest Bufferzone and ran on both VM and VB It was causing me problems. Also I had 64bit OS architecture and they only recently added support for 64bit.

I am honored someone would give me an anti-malware application request, but I do not see a great enough difference between Sandboxie(the test I am about to perform) and Bufferzone to do a test on it right now(I also have a long list of other Avs I want to test out).I am just getting into the game(you can see how many vids are on my channel) and will consider doing it at a later time if no-one else does a test on it. As a side note I also enjoy watching your testing videos on YouTube.

Have a good day :)

P

Plexx

I have been doing testing for some time but not with videos. I started with personal tests for awhile and then moved to written reviews here. Only recently I started doing videos since it is more time consuming.

No rush with Bufferzone pro. I will probably re-test it again later on.

I am also a beginner when it comes to videos and also the reason I don't do voice recordings is because of possible language barrier, while if there is some text, the user can use a translator for a better understanding.

:) keep it up.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
I have been doing testing for some time but not with videos. I started with personal tests for awhile and then moved to written reviews here. Only recently I started doing videos since it is more time consuming.

No rush with Bufferzone pro. I will probably re-test it again later on.

I am also a beginner when it comes to videos and also the reason I don't do voice recordings is because of possible language barrier, while if there is some text, the user can use a translator for a better understanding.

:) keep it up.

Thanks for being understanding and giving me those encouraging words. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.