https://secure.avg.com/gb-en/77134

2014 Beta program has started :)

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
RE: AVG 2014 RELEASED!

norton737 said:
There aren't many changes!

Yep not as yet. Hope either the change log will be updated with new changes, or new changes will be implemented :/.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any changelog yet?

I stopped receiving updates, after I deleted my AVG Beta account.

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
Earth said:
Any changelog yet?

I stopped receiving updates, after I deleted my AVG Beta account.

I have just received the change log via a contact:

AVG 2014 VERSION DESCRIPTION
============================
Product: AVG Internet Security
Version: 2014 (build 4016) beta 1

NEW FEATURES
====================
*AVG File Shredder - remove files or folders permanently and securely from your harddrive.
- Simply click the corresponding option in the context menu of the selected file or folder and follow the indicated steps.
- Once shredded, the files will be permanently removed from your harddrive without the option of restoring or retrieval.

IMPORTANT NOTICE, FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS
======================================
* Re-installation over 2013 versions on Windows 8 might cause problems. It is recommended to uninstall any 2013 versions, and install 2014 beta 1 on a clean machine.
* The progress bar is going up and down during the file shredding progress.
* Wrong error message wording during folder shredding if a file within the folder is open.
* When the Skip button during shredding procedure is pressed, a new error message is displayed.
* When shredding is applied on recycle bin, wrong design and wording is used.
* Refreshing the Recycle bin icon to empty state suffers with high latency after shredding is done.
* No confirmation message is shown once the shredding is done.
* Setup: Fixed Kaseya product detection in "Repair and Uninstall Options" dialog.

Not many changes at this moment in time apart from the addition of the AVG File Shredder component, numerous bug fixes and slight changes to the user interfaces. I expect more major changes to be implemented in the next couple of betas.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ahh, I got an email today about this. Will be an interesting test.

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
I just hope that for their sake they will change the way that Secure Search hijacks the user's home page and browser search defaults.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think there would be much to test, but I hope the Fileshredder works unlike Avast during beta stages.

McLovin said:
Ahh, I got an email today about this. Will be an interesting test.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
but I hope the Fileshredder works unlike Avast during beta stages.

That's what I was interested in. :p

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
According to a tester, there have been important changes made to the firewall and its settings, however these have not been confirmed yet by AVG.

S

starchild76

After my complaints about AVG'S lack of listening to their users and their hall of famers on the official facebook page I have got some feedback from Jas Daliwal ( AVG community manager ) and Anthony ( AVG customer support ) , Anthony asured me , that there will be more features added to the upcoming beta's of AVG 2014 , more security layers will be added......here is a direct quote , in reply to my post from Anthony :

"We are sorry to see you go. However the AVG 2014 is still in a beta and a some new features are not implemented yet. There is still a lot which will be presented in upcoming builds.

Take care and hopefully one day we will get your confidence again.

Anthony
AVG Customer Care "

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any ideas of what these new layers/features could possibly be?

S

starchild76

Earth said:
Any ideas of what these new layers/features could possibly be?

I don't have a clue what extra's they want to add , maybe h.i.p.s. , sandbox or some kind of virtualized emviornment.
But If its my lucky guess , I would certainly not expect something out of the extraordinary nowing AVG.
the vip / hall of famer community is slowly but shurely dieng out , because of the fact that the people do not listen to our feedback on the products....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
starchild76 said:
I don't have a clue what extra's they want to add , maybe h.i.p.s. , sandbox or some kind of virtualized emviornment.
But If its my lucky guess , I would certainly not expect something out of the extraordinary nowing AVG.
the vip / hall of famer community is slowly but shurely dieng out , because of the fact that the people do not listen to our feedback on the products....

If HIPS then surely its not, because ID (identity Protection) is known for being BB as possible so they will stick for that.

lordman

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 18, 2013
I have installed AVG Beta 2014 today, it seems to work ok without any errors.

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
AVG recently acquired Privacy Choice and their product Privacy Fix, therefore I am assuming that since AVG Do Not Track and Privacy Fix have overlapping functions, an enhanced version of Do Not Track / Privacy Fix will appear in later versions of AVG 2014 instead of Do Not Track in its current form.

On AVG's youtube channel or on the forums (I can't remember which) one of the employees did mention that they were working on a new privacy product,

For anyone interested in Privacy Choice here is the website of the current product: https://www.privacyfix.com/start

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
AVG 2014 VERSION DESCRIPTION
============================
Product: AVG Internet Security
Version: 2014 (build 4066) beta 2

NEW IN VERSION 2014
===================
* AVG Data Safe - Data Safe allows you to create a password-protected encrypted data storage on your computer for all your important files.
Data Safe is available in the Computer component of the main AVG user interface, so go and check it out!
Created Safes will be automatically mapped as disks on your computer, so you can work with them conveniently.
Selected the size too small? Nevermind, just increase the size on every already created Safe to make everything you desire fit inside.

*AVG File Shredder - remove files or folders permanently and securely from your harddrive.
Simply click the corresponding option in the context menu of the selected file or folder and follow the indicated steps.
Once shredded, the files will be permanently removed from your harddrive without the option of restoring or retrieval.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
================
* File Shredder: When installing AVG 2014 BETA 2 over AVG 2012, make sure to restart the machine before using File Shredder for the first time.
* File Shredder: Wrong error message wording during folder shredding if a file within the folder is open.
* File Shredder: Refreshing the Recycle bin icon to empty state suffers with high latency after shredding is done.
* Re-installation over 2013 versions on Windows 8 might cause problems. It is recommended to uninstall any 2013 versions, and install 2014 beta 1 on a clean machine.

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS
====================
* Anti-Virus: Redesign and streamlining of malware removal engine
* Firewall: Fixed possible BSOD caused by avgtdi driver.
* Firewall: AVG product without Firewall installed might allow local file sharing.
* Firewall: Fixed compatibility issue with digirlpt.sys driver.
* Kernel: Optimizing size of detection database file. Updating database from 2013 to 2014.
* Setup: Fixed Kaseya product detection in "Repair and Uninstall Options" dialog.

KNOWN ISSUES
====================
* (shall occur very rarely) if you previously activated AVG 2014 BETA 1 with a valid Business Edition license number, this number will be refused byt BETA 2. Please re-activate BETA 2 with the
correct license number for BETA (the safest way is do a complete uninstall of all previous AVG software in this case and clean installation of AVG 2014 BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.