Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
It's based on the same engine as Avast, with some AVG specific functionality (Zen, Behavior analysis called "Software Analyzer", Data Safe)

More info
NEW: AVG Antivirus BETA

Testing notes:
Please do not install it on PC where AVAST or AVG is already installed.
It's not necessary to create AVG Account.

Download links:

AVG AntiVirus Free
Online: https://www.avg.com/download-antivirus-free-beta-1795
Offline 32-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-antivirus-free-beta-x86-1799
Offline 64-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-antivirus-free-beta-x64-1797

AVG Internet Security
Online: https://www.avg.com/download-internet-security-beta-1785
Offline 32-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-internet-security-beta-x86-1789
Offline 64-bit: https://www.avg.com/download-internet-security-beta-x64-1787

Known issues:
- main scan doesn't scan system drive yet, for full virus scan please use the Quick Scan
- Software analyzer is disabled on Windows XP and Vista
- Data Safe: it is not possible to resize Data Safe when the Data Safe is opened
- Data Safe: error dialogs/states related to Data Safe resizing, closing etc. are not finished
- Data Safe: crating Data Safe in custom path and with creating new folder does not work (custom path selection for existing path works)
- AVG Antivirus does not detect AVG PC Tuneup as installed
- Firewall dialog about new network might be displayed repeatedly after each computer restart
- Missing texts in File Shredder
- Zen: invitation via invitation code does not work

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Hey Ami, thx for this. Spotted it here before the post on avast! forums :D Can't wait for avast! to gain AVG's tech. I wonder how this will affect protection in tests like AV-Test and AV-C. Would be interesting to see avast! and AVG o replace the usual leading Bitdefender and Kaspersky. avast! already scored reasonably well, AVG was even top notch in recent tests so that's a possibility.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I guess more work is needed, though it looks promising :)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 736

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I guess more work is needed, though it looks promising :)
I wouldn't really expect a standard AV to stop Ransomware to be honest. CS has showed videos of top suites getting bypassed by ransomware let alone a standard free AV. I believe BItdefender and Kaspersky were bypassed in CruelSisters tests and they're full suites with all kinds of modules.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I personally think new AVG interface actually looks and feels WAY better than new avast! BETA. Apart from the garbage ZEN component which forces me to vomit a bit in my mouth. It's a pointless annoying middle step between me and the part I want to use (the actual antivirus). And it broke down after 5 clicks so I couldn't even access ANY of the antivirus components and settings and kept wanting me to install the Internet Security instead. Ugh.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn't really expect a standard AV to stop Ransomware to be honest. CS has showed videos of top suites getting bypassed by ransomware let alone a standard free AV. I believe BItdefender and Kaspersky were bypassed in CruelSisters tests and they're full suites with all kinds of modules.
I think I remember Qihoo doing very well on her test.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I think I remember Qihoo doing very well on her test.
I tested it with samples from the hub and it failed. But Q360 has HIPS. It was Cerber that bypassed it in my tests. Funny enough it failed first time, passed second and failed third, I wish I'd have recorded it now. EAM failed in the same sample too though. But most free AV's have one engine and no HIPS, Q360 Has what, 4? engines and HIPS?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I personally think new AVG interface actually looks and feels WAY better than new avast! BETA. Apart from the garbage ZEN component which forces me to vomit a bit in my mouth. It's a pointless annoying middle step between me and the part I want to use (the actual antivirus). And it broke down after 5 clicks so I couldn't even access ANY of the antivirus components and settings and kept wanting me to install the Internet Security instead. Ugh.
I agree on the Avast/AVG beta interfaces.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For sure when it comes on testing independent competition, the results will be Avast higher than AVG perhaps.

Since secondary components like DeepScreen, Hardened Mode, Suspicious HIPS, Cybercapture and others are greatly helped for Avast core protection meanwhile AVG relies on their own Identification Theft, some sort of cloud and signatures only.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Features of both were combined, meaning both will use, well, everything. IDP has been renamed to "Software Analyzer". AVG also gained Streaming Updates, CyberCapture/DeepScreen and Hardened Mode. They have also merged virus definitions and and cloud capabilities. I just wonder how they'll use different naming conventions for malware as they both used rather different naming schemes.

avast! will only gain IDP (Software Analyzer) on the outside and cloud behind the scenes. AVG has a bit of a reverse thing going on by gaining a bit more things than avast!. Especially on the updating front where they finally got rid of the stupid 24 hour update cycle. It's bloody 2016, not 2001.

What really amazes me is how quickly they ported and merged things. You'd expect for all this to take far more time considering both companies use different methods and infrastructures and the merger was confirmed like what, 2 months ago?

I really like this new AVG. If they got rid of the stupid Zen thingie, it is possible I'll actually stick with AVG. But if they'll insist with the silly Zen, I'll be forced to stay with avast! even if it'll have inferior interface. In a way I understand why they plan on keeping products separated, to give choice to users instead of alienating them, while all the heavy work and detection will be the same for both, simplifying infrastructure and the stuff that takes far more time to maintain. Interface is a one time thing with minor evolutionary changes. Stuff underneath requires hard daily work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.