AVG Antivirus BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I wouldn't really expect a standard AV to stop Ransomware to be honest. CS has showed videos of top suites getting bypassed by ransomware let alone a standard free AV. I believe BItdefender and Kaspersky were bypassed in CruelSisters tests and they're full suites with all kinds of modules.
Yes, I agree with you. But these were old samples just to see scan speed and notifications and that kind of stuff, not really to test the effectiveness of AVG. Probably Avast or AVG stable releases would have cought the malware, but this beta release wasn't updating (don't know why) so I ended up in a encrypted VM.

I like the new user interface, it is a nice mixture of avast and avg, (more avast than avg) and it is very light on the resources.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
No Hardened mode in AVG. Try the beta in VM, you'll notice the similarities and differences immediately.

Actually there is, but I think they made a mistake. Or there isn't and they made mistake either way. If you look under General -> Exclusions you'll see Hardened Mode listed, but under General there is no Hardened Mode toggle like in avast!. So, I'm not sure which one is a mistake and which is intentional. Considering they want to consolidate all features into both, I think Hardened Mode should also be available in AVG. Maybe in next beta...

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yes, I agree with you. But these were old samples just to see scan speed and notifications and that kind of stuff, not really to test the effectiveness of AVG. Probably Avast or AVG stable releases would have cought the malware, but this beta release wasn't updating (don't know why) so I ended up in a encrypted VM.

I like the new user interface, it is a nice mixture of avast and avg, (more avast than avg) and it is very light on the resources.
Ahh got you, sorry for my misunderstanding.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
After they correct their overlooked copy and paste rushed release.

@adnage19 AVG and Avast serve millions of users in different countries.

Well, release is still roughly 2 months away, considering they merged 2 entirely different infrastructures and created new interfaces in 2 months, I think 2 more months to sort out interface things is plenty enough.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Quite a pity PUP detection has been disabled by default. I thought in the past versions of AVG it was on by default, right? I still have to understand what they mean in identity protection. What's the difference between "known threats" and "detected threats"? Maybe known means known by signatures, and detected means all (signatures + Behavioural Blocker)?

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
PUP was classified differently before. Also, be aware that having PUP enabled for real-time is not a good idea because it'll make many installers with promotional software fail entirely. Which is not desired. PUP should be enabled by default for On-Demand scans though. I use it in such way, I make a full system scan once in a full moon to see if any undesired PUP's sneaked in. But they are usually just annoyance and not something horrible.

As for the Identity Protection (Software Analyzer), I think they use two methods, which could broadly be classified under "Confirmed behavior" and "Suspicious behavior". First one (Known threats) is very strict behavior detection which hardly ever generates false positives, but covers a narrower range of malware. Second one (Detected) means more broad and generic behavior monitoring which can sometimes trigger false positive detections. That's how I understood AVG's IDP system. It's why they have (at least in last stable AVG itself) IDP enabled for known threats to be quarantined directly without prompts.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
PUP was classified differently before. Also, be aware that having PUP enabled for real-time is not a good idea because it'll make many installers with promotional software fail entirely. Which is not desired. PUP should be enabled by default for On-Demand scans though. I use it in such way, I make a full system scan once in a full moon to see if any undesired PUP's sneaked in. But they are usually just annoyance and not something horrible.

As for the Identity Protection (Software Analyzer), I think they use two methods, which could broadly be classified under "Confirmed behavior" and "Suspicious behavior". First one (Known threats) is very strict behavior detection which hardly ever generates false positives, but covers a narrower range of malware. Second one (Detected) means more broad and generic behavior monitoring which can sometimes trigger false positive detections. That's how I understood AVG's IDP system. It's why they have (at least in last stable AVG itself) IDP enabled for known threats to be quarantined directly without prompts.
From the pictures seen on avast forums, It's set to always ask now by default

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all,

On our request, Avast has created a separate child board for the AVG Beta on Avast Forums :

Beta - AVG

AVG Free Antivirus and Internet Security betas released

AVG Free Antivirus and Internet Security betas released from Softwarecrew | Software Reviews, News, Tips & Tricks

Overall this is strictly for AVG fans, and even then we’d treat the programs with extreme care. Don’t install them anywhere that has an existing AVAST or AVG installation, or isn’t fully backed up.

With best Regards
Mops21

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Interface doesn't look that bad. I suspect they're using Sciter now. Let's see how it will evolve with Avast.

(Off-topic: I have a funny story with their support.. long ago.. I wanted to submit a false-positive and I did a live chat with their support. I was really shocked when they didn't know the answer on how to submit a false-positive. Wish I had taken a screenshot.)

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.