Status
Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Software Analyzer (formerly Identity Protection). I've made a second test of it for BETA2 and it worked absolutely beautiful. It even prevented a ransomware from encrypting image files. It's a proven tech that already works and it works incredibly well without any regular signatures.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Software Analyzer (formerly Identity Protection). I've made a second test of it for BETA2 and it worked absolutely beautiful. It even prevented a ransomware from encrypting image files. It's a proven tech that already works and it works incredibly well without any regular signatures.

Could this be some kind of merge with Cybercapture you think?
The improvements I mean.
Running Avast Buissnes Free on some locations and wish i could get the benefits from both ends incorperated soon.

/W

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I don't think it is. CyberCapture is still a separate component which is completely independent of Software Analyzer. I haven't invoked it because it requires all components to be running in order to detect suspicious files. It's also required for the files to arrive from the internet. Me executing files that are already on disk basically bypasses CyberCapture. At least for the time being. They'll eventually enable it for other infection vectors like e-mail, external drives etc. For now, the burden of processing every single unknown file found even locally would just be too much. I mean, every file you compile on your computer would be a new one for avast! and automatically blocked by CyberCapture which is not exactly ideal, for both, users and for avast! Virus Lab.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
But Cybercapture does not block by default as it is now or?
CC just test the file in their cloud as it is right now?

/W

When CyberCapture encounters a new unknown file it entirely blocks it until verdict is received from the CyberCapture analysis servers. File is submitted to the server for analysis and when verdict is returned, the file is either released to the user or quarantined if found malicious/suspicious.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
NEW: AVG Antivirus Beta 17.1.3004
New BETA is out:
What's new:

- CyberCapture works and correctly reports infected files to our Threat Labs
- Improvements how Firewall detects new network so you shouldn't see the dialog about new network on the same network again and again
- Better detection of first data scanned in Online shield
- Many small bug fixes (82)

Known issues:

- unfinished migration flows from original AVG 2016
- accessing Data Safe with correct password sometimes does not work via shortcut
- unfinished implementation of functions in Quarantine
- exclusions (objects you would like to skip from scanning) may not work properly
- crashes of the explorer.exe caused by shell extension (scanning and/or shredding)
- Software Analyzer is disabled (Windows XP only)

W

Wave

Interface doesn't look that bad. I suspect they're using Sciter now. Let's see how it will evolve with Avast.
Yeah, they probably do use Sciter - they used to use HTMLayouts however it's no longer updated (Sciter is made by the same developers); some other vendors like Symantec, ESET, Bitdefender, Comodo and Zilla use it too.

If you want I will check for you if they use it or not.

Edit: Sorry at first I was talking about Avast and then realized it was about AVG...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Just to check since I have not use AVG before but AVAST.

Is there a built-in anti-ransomware component in AVG AV? I understand the new AVAST AV will have this built-in and it'll also be released later than AVG. So I'm considering trying the AVG first when released.

I'm currently using BD Free AV and BD Free anti-ransomware tool and the BD Free AV, unfortunately, has no detection for removable media.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
When is Avast gaining software analyzer? I'm interested to see how I like it.

Well, avast! release with Software Analyzer is planned for late January 2017. If everything goes as planned. I've tested it already in the latest AVG beta and it's phenomenal. But I don't like AVG and how clumsy it is with its silly static popups you have to click through and how it lacks basic settings like turning sounds off and stuff.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Well, avast! release with Software Analyzer is planned for late January 2017. If everything goes as planned. I've tested it already in the latest AVG beta and it's phenomenal. But I don't like AVG and how clumsy it is with its silly static popups you have to click through and how it lacks basic settings like turning sounds off and stuff.

Those are the reasons why I'm not switching to AVG. Besides Software Analyzer is the only thing i want from them.

I just hope Avast doesn't have a hard time implementing it and it turns out Half-baked or worse barely works at all.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well, technically, they already have it implemented. The foundations in the new AVG Beta are entirely from avast!. It's AVG part (apart from SA) which is getting scrapped and merged into their infrastructure under their own "terms". I just hope they'll make a good use of it and enhance it even further and not neglect it or "enhance" it with wrong decisions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
- CyberCapture works and correctly reports infected files to our Threat Labs

Interesting, that should increase more percentage on the efficiency on the product, however Avast and AVG should implement an available option to run it via sandbox once the analysis couldn't determine instead to rate it as safe.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
AVAST has a tradition of developing their own innovations, so AVAST incorporating the behavior blocker of AVG into their product is a major change.

AVG had a history of buying companies to add components to their Anti-Virus:

AVG take overs I recall
- Ewido (anti-spyware)
- Primary Response Safe Connect (a behavior blocker, which may still form the core component of the current behavior blocker)
- Linkscanner surfshield (a URL checker and a script analyzer to filter out javascript code patters which were used in exploit kits the script filter was very advanced at the time, but when other AV's were copying this type script filtering, the exploit writers started to obfuscate their code, reducing the effectiveness of script filtering/sanatizing, luckily today all webbrowsers apply script sanatizing which makes it harder to for malware writers to obfuscate code and increase the effectiveness of script-filters again).

They will probably focus on different market segments in the future. So for the coming years I expect them to share components while on the same time offering different packages to different market segments.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Interesting, that should increase more percentage on the efficiency on the product, however Avast and AVG should implement an available option to run it via sandbox once the analysis couldn't determine instead to rate it as safe.

I've recommended that already several weeks to months ago, it was confirmed as good idea, but they've been very quiet about it so I really have no clue if they'll implement any of the requests. Not sure why avast! team is so silent and cryptic about various things they could implement, but they decide not to for whatever reason. Not sure what's going on recently, they used to be super open to suggestions and ideas. Not so much for quite a while now... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.