AVG AntiVirus Free - March 2021 Report

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Please let me/us know where you got this information from ? You meant this for Avast/AVG only ?
Or also any official statement from other companies like Kaspersky, BitDefender, Symantec, etc. ?
I apologize for the delay in replying.
I speak obviously from personal experience, when I test an AV I also go to see how long it takes to respond positively to a "compromise".
Furthermore, I monitor both the sending of samples from the program itself and from the dedicated portal (if it is available).
AVG/Avast and Kaspersky are among the fastest. Also, Webroot but only with some exes.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Please everyone keep in mind, this thread is related to AVG tests only, so it's better to discuss never about different AVs otherwise all Hub-Report-Threads are looking like a mess... Forums-sections for any major Antivirus is available (link below), there everyone can asking and discussing:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Well, this time, at least, WebAV detected something... I know as WebAV blocked the connection, that blank mshta.exe form remained running, probably without any suspicious activity, probably Final System Status could be System Not Clean... but there is also the hidden registry key in Windows AutoRun section, so finally I had to consider tagging the System again as infected...

Nightwater

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
I think this topic is getting out of the way, polluted, it should be closed for comments, because someone always appears defending your favorite antivirus when the system was infected, as if the tester had done something wrong to explain the failure of your favorite antivirus, if the result is infected, it is because it was infected, they know more than anyone here how an infection works, this is already very annoying :rolleyes:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I think this topic is getting out of the way, polluted, it should be closed for comments, because someone always appears defending your favorite antivirus when the system was infected, as if the tester had done something wrong to explain the failure of your favorite antivirus, if the result is infected, it is because it was infected, they know more than anyone here how an infection works, this is already very annoying :rolleyes:
There is a discussion about the function of the AV that is relevant. A discussion that could lead to a better understanding for everyone. That’s part of the point of the thread. People have different feelings on different solutions. There is no requirement that you monitor this thread.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
This latest Hub test is done to be true as always by @harlan4096 if anyone disagree it's fine but again here is no need to discuss about any test!

There is a discussion about the function of the AV that is relevant. A discussion that could lead to a better understanding for everyone. That’s part of the point of the thread. People have different feelings on different solutions. There is no requirement that you monitor this thread.

Why you believe to know what is the real purpose of this thread or any other Hub-Test-Report threads?

Just to inform everyone, endless discussions about Hub test results aren't acceptable and will be reported to Forums Staff!

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Why you believe to know what is the real purpose of this thread or any other Hub-Test-Report threads?
Apparently I stand corrected. I had seen such discussions in the past and found them informative. I have always trusted and appreciated @harlan4096 ’s testing and transparency. I don’t see a problem with someone having a differing conclusion, but you are correct that I did not design the purpose of the thread and misunderstood. In the end @harlan4096 made his determination and has stated his logical reasoning for such, which I am very appreciative of.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Let me try to explain a bit more about "testing procedure"
This sample was able to set an hidden autorun for mshta.exe (one of many legitimate LOLBins), that is a kind of bypass as AVG doesn't blocked nor detected this autorun, so we have two choices: either testing system would be Not Clean or Infected, but any working malicious autorun is more a sign for infected, according to the Hub testing rules (screenshot below):

HUB.png

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Let me try to explain a bit more about "testing procedure"
This sample was able to set an hidden autorun for mshta.exe (one of many legitimate LOLBins), that is a kind of bypass as AVG doesn't blocked nor detected this autorun, so we have two choices: either testing system would be Not Clean or Infected, but any working malicious autorun is more a sign for infected, according to the Hub testing rules (screenshot below):

View attachment 255109

Wouldn't it be good if there is an added "attack chain suspended" status? Sometimes, like in this case, system is infected but the malware is not capable of doing it's malicious purpose.

By the way, where is my first message I posted just a while ago?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Read again the test :) ... for about 2 weeks now I enabled HM, but since probably most of standard users don't enable it, I 1stly tested with HM on and then also tested with MH off :)
My bad! I did not see this
Hardened Mode could not stop it and even enabling PUP detection in AVG -> not detected...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.