Battle AVG AV (Tweak) VS Kaspersky Free AV

Compare list
AVG AV 2019: [URL='https://www.avg.com/en-ww/homepage#pc']link[/URL]
Kaspersky Free AV 2019: [URL='https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus']link[/URL]

amgvra

Thread author
Jan 2, 2019
Hi!
I have been reading and surfing MT for various options and I am down to choosing either of the this two.
What AV is lighter and doesn't need a pair like (VS, OSarmor, etc) to be protected?

I run w7 and mostly use it for Online games, social medias and surfing.
Thanks you!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ AVG > Kaspersky, both fully tweaked with my settings for maximum performance + combine with tweaked syshardener:
- AVG is much much lighter than Kaspersky
- AVG slows down your browsing speed less than Kaspersky
- AVG has much fewer compatibility issues on browsers than Kaspersky
- AVG has significantly better zero-protection against .exe and .tmp filetype malwares. Kaspersky free doesn't have any defaultdeny-like protection
- AVG is much smaller on memory usage, both on physical and virtual memories: <100MB vs >350MB
- AVG consumes less CPU in all conditions, strictly monitored
- AVG has significantly better PUP protection than Kaspersky (Kaspersky is considered below average although AVG/Avast is not the best in this area)
- With my tweaks, AVG has fewer vulnerabilities for malware to infect your PC. There are still a few ways but the attacking vectors are so rare. In other words, it's easier to infect a PC protected by Kaspersky free than AVG free with my settings

2/ Kaspersky > AVG:
- Kaspersky has much better signatures than AVG
- Kaspersky has much much better exploit and network attack protection than AVG
- Kaspersky has better web filter than AVG. AVG needs a browser extension for full phishing protection because they only add known, verified phishing pages to the AV, to reduce the size of signature update. Newer phishing pages are only added to the extension via cloud => use other extensions like windows defender or bitdefender -> better and lighter
- Kaspersky consumes less disk space than AVG (1GB vs 500-700MB)
- AVG has some privacy issue that some sensitive users can't tolerate but with my tweaks, they can be mitigated
(Kaspersky has privacy issue related to their origin country. Some users refuse to use it)
- Kaspersky has the best behavioral blocker on the market, in the same place as Emsisoft. AVG/Avast's BB is in top 5

Additional:
- AVG has a big problem with VMware, virtualbox and Windows Sandbox but after disabling Hardware virtualization, you will never get any issue

this is my honest opinion after years of using both. I'm actually use them on my friends laptops and PCs
Avast/AVG on low-specs PCs with HDD, low on RAM or old CPU
Kaspersky on faster PCs, with SSD

Last edited:

amgvra

Thread author
Jan 2, 2019
1/ AVG > Kaspersky, both fully tweaked with my settings for maximum performance + combine with tweaked syshardener:
- AVG is much much lighter than Kaspersky
- AVG slows down your browsing speed less than Kaspersky
- AVG has much fewer compatibility issues on browsers than Kaspersky
- AVG has significantly better zero-protection against .exe and .tmp filetype malwares. Kaspersky free doesn't have any defaultdeny-like protection
- AVG is much smaller on memory usage, both on physical and virtual memories: <100MB vs >350MB
- AVG consumes less CPU in all conditions, strictly monitored
- AVG has significantly better PUP protection than Kaspersky (Kaspersky is considered below average although AVG/Avast is not the best in this area)
- With my tweaks, AVG has fewer vulnerabilities for malware to infect your PC. There are still a few ways but the attacking vectors are so rare. In other words, it's easier to infect a PC protected by Kaspersky free than AVG free with my settings

2/ Kaspersky > AVG:
- Kaspersky has much better signatures than AVG
- Kaspersky has much much better exploit and network attack protection than AVG
- Kaspersky has better web filter than AVG. AVG needs a browser extension for full phishing protection because they only add known, verified phishing pages to the AV, to reduce the size of signature update. Newer phishing pages are only added to the extension via cloud => use other extensions like windows defender or bitdefender -> better and lighter
- Kaspersky consumes less disk space than AVG (1GB vs 500-700MB)
- AVG has some privacy issue that some sensitive users can't tolerate but with my tweaks, they can be mitigated
(Kaspersky has privacy issue related to their origin country. Some users refuse to use it)
- Kaspersky has the best behavioral blocker on the market, in the same place as Emsisoft. AVG/Avast's BB is in top 5

Additional:
- AVG has a big problem with VMware, virtualbox and Windows Sandbox but after disabling Hardware virtualization, you will never get any issue

this is my honest opinion after years of using both. I'm actually use them on my friends laptops and PCs
Avast/AVG on low-specs PCs with HDD, low on RAM or old CPU
Kaspersky on faster PCs, with SSD

Very well detailed kind sir. I thank you very much for pointing every aspect and sharing your experience.
This helped me a lot.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.