Status
Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
They have removed sounds from the latest BETA. Haven't tested final yet, but I'm assuming the sounds are not present and were just an early feature left behind from avast! foundation. Hardened mode is also not available, apparently they will separate certain features between both, AVG and avast! and they only meant core detection components to be the same in both, but things like Hardened mode etc will be different in both.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
How much of it is still AVG? From what I an observe from the outside, Software Analyzer and the general interface design. And that's about it. Foundation seems to be avast! core, but we don't have any info or details on how far they have merged the detection, heuristics and cloud capabilities of both.

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

I forget the post, but I remember someone commented that Hardened Mode was listed under Exclusions in the beta, and that there was no toggle or anything the denote it was even existent. Is it possible that Hardened Mode was added and is listed under Exclusions?

-Tairan

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

I tried Internet Security.

Overall I didn't liked it...main GUI with not installed stuffs/tuneup/etc, stupid ZEN thing, no Hardened Mode, etc...

I think Avast is lot better compared to AVG.

And seems AVG license will not work with this AVG i.e I have a AVG Internet Security license & this mentioned invalid license & enter 9 digit or something license.

Reactions: Faybert

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
The only thing I do not like about AVG is that AVG Zen, a backward segment like Avira does with its antivirus (Avira Connect), the company "killed" it with that, not counting the outdated interface (Avira). For these I prefer Avast, awaiting the long awaited Software Analyzer coming from AVG, which will be built into the end of January.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Tried the free AV, removed it and went back to WD.....waiting for the new Avast.

Screwed up my system after installation and upon restart....screen not working, blackout.

Have to reformat my MS SP4 and start install AVG free AV after clean Windows install.

Slow total system scanning speed....definitely worse than Avast. Screen wordings too small on my MS SP4, slow response.....

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Tried the free AV, removed it and went back to WD.....waiting for the new Avast.

Screwed up my system after installation and upon restart....screen not working, blackout.
Make sure that you have uninstalled Visual Studio Redistributables (x86 and x64) as installed by AVG Technologies, under Program and Features.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They can ditch the PUPs, I mean, Tune-Up products.
Remember, AVG purchased Tuneup Utilities back in 2014 the Tuneup Utilities faithful ran from it like the plague
after that purchase, now AVG is attempting to integrate it into their security products which is a big mistake in my
honest opinion. I have not, nor do I plan on trying this new crap fest of a product ;)
Honestly, i think Avast needs to go ahead and kill off the AVG line.

Reactions: RoadRashWolfenstein
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Remember, AVG purchased Tuneup Utilities back in 2014 the Tuneup Utilities faithful ran from it like the plague
after that purchase, now AVG is attempting to integrate it into their security products which is a big mistake in my
honest opinion. I have not, nor do I plan on trying this new crap fest of a product ;)

That is the problem with free AV. If i had to go free, i would go for Sophos Home or Bitdefender free. No (or very few) pop-ups and especially no extra junk.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Make sure that you have uninstalled Visual Studio Redistributables (x86 and x64) as installed by AVG Technologies, under Program and Features.

My whole system hang after a restart. Nothing on the screen can be activated except for the mouse pointer which can move. How to carry out uninstallation? AVG was installed as my last program with all my programs previously installed.

Also, its complete system scan is way too slow as compared to Avast free AV. I have about 34GB on my 256GB SSD and it took 10 minutes to scan 20%. This was done after I reformatted my PC and have it as the 1st program installed immediately afterwards.

One more issue. The text in the menu are just small for viewing and the color contrast is just lousy. If I have a 4K screen I bet I cannot read those text.

I just sit tight and wait for the new Avast meantime just using the default WD

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I wonder how much of it is still AVG...

Anyway I'm glad to see at least one company launching the 2017 line of products in 2017 and not in the middle of 2016...

After chatting with avast! team in Prague, there is quite a lot more of AVG left, but isn't visible on the outside. There is still AVG's script emulator for file scanning, they also merged pattern matching, combining best of both worlds from avast! and AVG. avast! had a huge edge in speed department where AVG had an edge in detection engine flexibility. Now, both have best capabilities of both. They also consolidated both AV databases into one. So, quite a lot of stuff done in few months they had since the merger and I'm looking forward for new AV-C and AV-Test tests to see how improvements translate to actual protection. Should be interesting, specially in the real-world test front...

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I wonder how much of it is still AVG...

Anyway I'm glad to see at least one company launching the 2017 line of products in 2017 and not in the middle of 2016...

normally the update cycle for AVG is to bring out a new version in september of that year , so I am quite surprised the managed to bring the final out so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.