Battle AVG Free vs Avira Free Security vs Microsoft Defender (Default Settings)

AVG Free vs Avira Free Security vs Microsoft Defender (Default Settings)

• AVG Free

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Avira Free Security

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Microsoft Defender (Default Settings)

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters
Compare list
AVG Free
Avira Free Security
Microsoft Defender (Default Settings)
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

lokamoka820

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
What is the best antivirus between AVG, Avira and Microsoft Defender if you use the default settings?
I am asking from 3 perspectives: protection, performance, false alarm?
All free without any hardening for any, just with defaults.

Mar 10, 2024
Interesting thread/topic. I might be so bold as to point a few things out to help it.

1. You have users already voting for product/s without stating why, which means the criteria for this thread was established in such a vague way as to appear as a favorites contest.

2. Protections, Performance, False Alarm. This would be determined greatly by "use of the system, knowledge of user, and users ability to deploy safe habits". These factors also known as variables matter. Because if a user does not download often, FP's is not an issue. If the user is knowledgeable, again, FP's would not be an issue. If the user is knowledgeable and deploys good habits there is no need for anything but what's already available in the system. Adding 3rd party software to the system may impact performance based on what the user also uses on/with the system.

3. If we are discussing just using defaults, and no additional "tweaking" of software and what would be best security wise and impacting the system, then the obvious choice would be the built in solution that does not bring more "3rd party bugs and vulnerabilities" to the system and is designed to be a part of and work with the system.

lokamoka820

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Interesting thread/topic. I might be so bold as to point a few things out to help it.

1. You have users already voting for product/s without stating why, which means the criteria for this thread was established in such a vague way as to appear as a favorites contest.

2. Protections, Performance, False Alarm. This would be determined greatly by "use of the system, knowledge of user, and users ability to deploy safe habits". These factors also known as variables matter. Because if a user does not download often, FP's is not an issue. If the user is knowledgeable, again, FP's would not be an issue. If the user is knowledgeable and deploys good habits there is no need for anything but what's already available in the system. Adding 3rd party software to the system may impact performance based on what the user also uses on/with the system.

3. If we are discussing just using defaults, and no additional "tweaking" of software and what would be best security wise and impacting the system, then the obvious choice would be the built in solution that does not bring more "3rd party bugs and vulnerabilities" to the system and is designed to be a part of and work with the system.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I have been using Microsoft Defender since the release of Windows 10 and until today I have not gotten any virus on the device, but when I watch videos that criticize Defender and recommend using another antivirus, I become skeptical and think about using 3rd party antivirus.

Mar 10, 2024
when I watch videos that criticize Defender and recommend using another antivirus
These videos should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. They are not real world testing methods, meaning most of them do not test true route of infection to properly test the products, and again habits play a big role in this, as most users will never download a rar or zip file and disable their security to unpack it and see what happens. These infections in the videos realistically would be delivered via phishing emails, links or website/urls, in the real world, meaning proper habits could stop the chain of infection long before it gets initiated.

If you are comfortable with your knowledge level and habits are sound, then you have no need of anything else. Do remember to always back up everything offline, not only a "just in case" but also because even hardware failure can happen.

Mar 10, 2024
AV Comparatives
The results are based on the test set of 246 live test cases (malicious URLs found in the field), consisting of working exploits (i.e. drive-by downloads) and URLs pointing directly to malware. Thus, exactly the same infection vectors are used as a typical user would experience in everyday life. The test-cases used cover a wide range of current malicious sites and provide insights into the protection given by the various products (using all their protection features) while surfing the web.

Of course this does not state the sheer volume of URLs they went through to find these 246 malicious URLs, and realistically the odds of hitting this many in a row. Meaning those high percentages of blocking you see from most of the products across the board, you can tack more on from reality. Habits play a roll, and here they are absolutely not using any by intentionally chasing these down.

So there's that.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have been using Microsoft Defender since the release of Windows 10 and until today I have not gotten any virus on the device,
So you already have evidence through your experience that Defender is sufficient
but when I watch videos that criticize Defender and recommend using another antivirus, I become skeptical and think about using 3rd party antivirus.
Ignore those videos because they are click-bait. Forums such as MT often have new members who get worried about internet security, or paranoid. Trust your own experience using Defender and please remember to stay safe, not paranoid. (y):cool:

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Avira free is just antivirus + web filter extension for web protection
So defender pretty much wins avira in every way, except when it comes into web protection, but one can add bitdefender trafficlight for stronger protection
I would go with defender, even avg free is decent, but you can achieve same kind of protection with the defender + trafficlight

lokamoka820

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
So defender pretty much wins avira in every way, except when it comes into web protection, but one can add bitdefender trafficlight for stronger protection
I would go with defender, even avg free is decent, but you can achieve same kind of protection with the defender + trafficlight
It is what I use currently, Microsoft Defender + Bitdefender TrafficLight for browsers.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I'll put my two cents in. Antivirus on a PC is kind of analogous to health insurance. Often, we don't go to doctors for years, but when something terrible happens suddenly, the lack of insurance can ruin your life very badly. Recently, I had to pay 1000 euros for calling an ambulance, so I advise everyone, wherever you go - buy travel insurance, even if for a couple of days :)

So, 5-10-15 years you haven't encountered viruses - it doesn't matter. What will matter is when you do meet one and it steals your credit card data or encrypts your master's or doctoral thesis. So it makes sense to look for the best defense option for less money, and sometimes it may be worth paying something if it doesn't affect your budget but gives you extra security.

I am not a professional in information security, but if I were to make a virus, the first thing I would try to do would be to break through the Defender defense, as this is the default defense that the virus will almost certainly face. Defender's 0-day defense is essentially zero trust, but let's be honest... When Windows tells me that it doesn't know some file, I just go ahead and disable that message.

According to the latest tests, Avast/AVG have very good detection and performance, which are slightly better than Defender. I think the Avast engine is one of the best right now. So, I would choose AVG. And if I have an extra couple of euros, I would buy Avast in another region for the handy sandbox and some small benefits.. :)

Mar 10, 2024
I'll put my two cents in. Antivirus on a PC is kind of analogous to health insurance. Often, we don't go to doctors for years, but when something terrible happens suddenly, the lack of insurance can ruin your life very badly. Recently, I had to pay 1000 euros for calling an ambulance, so I advise everyone, wherever you go - buy travel insurance, even if for a couple of days :)

So, 5-10-15 years you haven't encountered viruses - it doesn't matter. What will matter is when you do meet one and it steals your credit card data or encrypts your master's or doctoral thesis. So it makes sense to look for the best defense option for less money, and sometimes it may be worth paying something if it doesn't affect your budget but gives you extra security.

I am not a professional in information security, but if I were to make a virus, the first thing I would try to do would be to break through the Defender defense, as this is the default defense that the virus will almost certainly face. Defender's 0-day defense is essentially zero trust, but let's be honest... When Windows tells me that it doesn't know some file, I just go ahead and disable that message.

According to the latest tests, Avast/AVG have very good detection and performance, which are slightly better than Defender. I think the Avast engine is one of the best right now. So, I would choose AVG. And if I have an extra couple of euros, I would buy Avast in another region for the handy sandbox and some small benefits.. :)
You may be obtaining the wrong kind of insurance, as what happens when that paid solution fails you?

Insurance should be your offline backups and images of your system. Not only a just in case, but because hardware failure happens as well.

This combined with good habits and the default securities will carry someone far in reality, I see this all the time. If you prefer other additions that paid software bring that's your choice certainly, but it would be foolish to not have the backup coverage and still use those habits.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
You can say the same about defender, just antivirus with a browser extension like Trafficlight. But avira also has a behavior blocker (from bullgard build in) while defender has Behaviour blocking in the cloud. I would like to see a test between Avira and Defender ;)

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Insurance should be your offline backups and images of your system.
Backups, of course, are good, but they will not save you from data leaks, and simply lost time needed for recovery even in the presence of backups, because unlikely any user makes a regular backup of the entire OS every day, which means that you will need to manually restore individual files, settings, programs. The need to restore something from backup due to a security penetration required me to change all passwords everywhere just in case, which is already an extra hour of work :) I generally agree that with good habits, you can even disable Defender to save performance, the question is how good the habits are and whether you always follow them.

Mar 10, 2024
Backups, of course, are good, but they will not save you from data leaks, and simply lost time needed for recovery even in the presence of backups, because unlikely any user makes a regular backup of the entire OS every day, which means that you will need to manually restore individual files, settings, programs. The need to restore something from backup due to a security penetration required me to change all passwords everywhere just in case, which is already an extra hour of work :) I generally agree that with good habits, you can even disable Defender to save performance, the question is how good the habits are and whether you always follow them.
If your paid software fails and everything you have is encrypted, then what. What if it lets a data leak happen. How would you stop that. Once it leaves your network, how do you keep leaks from happening in websites and servers? Paid software or defaults will not do anything here.

So your insurance is still backing up incrementally your personal files and keeping clean system images. Part of habits is in what you divulge and to where which should help with data leaks, but again, those are out of the users hands once online.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would say AVG/Avast, bot honestly... Anyone who cares for security takes a little bit of time to tweak security modules in antivirus to achieve a maximum protection (or at least a decent combination of protection/performance).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.