App Review AVG vs Avast vs ESET Detection test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
I propose to run the remaining samples in order to prove the behavior hips.Nice video .-))

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Big test :)
It is how you pass me the files?
I want to test my ESET Smart Security 9, with my settings
Thank you

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
I propose to run the remaining samples in order to prove the behavior hips.Nice video .-))

I will do that, but not in battle test like this... and thank you @Davidov

Big test :)
It is how you pass me the files?
I want to test my ESET Smart Security 9, with my settings
Thank you

Sorry I just go back my VM to clean state. So no malwares folder there

Reactions: Davidov and Jrs30

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
I will do that, but not in battle test like this... and thank you @Davidov

Sorry I just go back my VM to clean state. So no malwares folder there

in future tests recommended to run the remaining samples.Example: BitDefender well block unknown samples

M

Mihir :-)

Avast! Really doing great job.What the age of Malware samples?@Safe 1st.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
in future tests recommended to run the remaining samples.Example: BitDefender well block unknown samples

Yup sure, like I did on this test. Scan the folder and run some malwares. then scan system with MBAM and Hitman pro.

Avast! Really doing great job.What the age of Malware samples?@Safe 1st.

4 days ago. At least not more than a week. All sample is same, check it the size of it on each test.

Reactions: Kuttz and Davidov

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Yup sure, like I did on this test. Scan the folder and run some malwares. then scan system with MBAM and Hitman pro.

4 days ago. At least not more than a week. All sample is same, check it the size of it on each test.

Yes exactly I love your videos, and thank you for them.

Reactions: Kuttz

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
You can't do this test like this. AVG & ESET have healing options, they don't remove the file, only malicious code in the file. After scan and clean/remove You should check that folder for leftover files with some 3-party app (Zemana, EEK, MBAM...) to see which files are really malicious.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
You can't do this test like this. AVG & ESET have healing options, they don't remove the file, only malicious code in the file. After scan and clean/remove You should check that folder for leftover files with some 3-party app (Zemana, EEK, MBAM...) to see which files are really malicious.

I know, I just did same thin 'like' other testers did. other testers did like this, isnt it?
:D

Reactions: CySecy825

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
@safe1st

yeah, you are doing it wrong again :(

You didn't read all my post in the other topic did you? :(

The only way ESET doesn't try to disinfect a file is if you select "No cleaning" on the threatsense options!!! If you select this you will be asked at the end of the scan what do you want to do with the infected files, you should select "delete".

Strict cleaning is trying to disinfect, as you can read on the settings menu "ESET will automatically attempt to clean (to clean means disinfect) or delete".

Please, don't understand me wrong. I appreciate the work you do, but you are making it wrong and I strongly suggest you to take care with that if you want to use the remaining files inside the folder as an indicator.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Totally agree Av Gurus,
Doing it in a manner that calls the results into question compromises your very effort, doing it in a manner that goes that extra step for the sake of accuracy sets testers apart in a crowded field. PeAcE

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
@safe1st

yeah, you are doing it wrong again :(

You didn't read all my post in the other topic did you? :(

The only way ESET doesn't try to disinfect a file is if you select "No cleaning" on the threatsense options!!! If you select this you will be asked at the end of the scan what do you want to do with the infected files, you should select "delete".

Strict cleaning is trying to disinfect, as you can read on the settings menu "ESET will automatically attempt to clean (to clean means disinfect) or delete"

READ, How do I change the scanner's default response to a virus detection?—ESET Knowledgebase

I dont see any disinfect thingy ;)

Cleaning levels
The different cleaning levels are No cleaning, Standard cleaning or Strict cleaning. These modes govern the behavior of the scanner when cleaning infected files. More information on each respective cleaning level is provided below:

No cleaning
: In this mode, your ESET product will not automatically clean any threats. It will prompt you with an alert window when a threat is detected and allow you to choose from a list of available actions.

Standard cleaning: This is the recommended (default) mode. In this mode, your ESET product will automatically clean or delete infected files. If it is not possible to select the correct action automatically, you will be prompted with an alert window that will allow you to select from a list of available actions. You will also be prompted to choose an action if the predefined action could not be completed.

Strict cleaning: In this mode, your ESET product will automatically clean or delete infected files without user intervention; the only exceptions are system files. If the scanner detects an infected system file that cannot be cleaned, you will be prompted with an alert window that will allow you to select from a list of available actions.

Reactions: CySecy825

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Review is personal interpretation
Just as reviewer needs to take criticism and suggestions, so as members need to watch their language when point to critic/suggestion for improvement. Writing on internet is not the same like live talking so again I ask for members to pick words when discussing. All inappropriate or borderline replies will be edited or deleted.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@safe1st
My remarks were offered to you with the hope of inspiring growth, not hate.
You do a good job and will only grow sharper skills with feedback and time.
Don't let the feedback stifle you, stay dedicated :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.