App Review AVG vs Avast vs ESET Detection test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Thank you guys.
@Klipsh @BoraMurdar

I just want say, next time. Tell me all settings you want, and we can discuss it
Because Im doing tests based default, what I want first. But after you said that, its different. I will do it next time.

Dont worry bro. Your reviews are great and it is improving with every new review. I suggest you to stick with your current testing method that is using the Default Protection mode of the anti virus that is more sensible and accurate way to review the software. If you go with custom way, each person would have there own preferences and your custom settings wont satisfy everyone out there and most people wont customize there anti virus softwares too. So keep going with your passion :)

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Dont worry bro. Your reviews are great and it is improving with every new review. I suggest you to stick with your current testing method that is using the Default Protection mode of the anti virus that is more sensible and accurate way to review the software. If you go with custom way, each person would have there own preferences and your custom settings wont satisfy everyone out there and most people wont customize there anti virus softwares too. So keep going with your passion :)

You're right. Default is actually best method. Because Not all computer users can tweak like you all guys here. I can tweak, how about beginner and medium users who watch my video? and they think, "oh this product is good" but they dont check every settings I tweaked.
That will be worse isnt it?

and thank you @kuttan :)

Reactions: Venustus and Kuttz

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
The problem here isn't the default settings, the problem is the way you say if the product as a good detection or not. How can you say that ESET didn't detect, for example, 30 files, if the files inside the folder are disinfected? That means they were detected and cleaned, but the files stills there because it doesn't represent a risk.

If you can't understand what I'm saying I don't know another way to explain it :( Maybe someone can explain it better...

Reactions: Av Gurus and Ink

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
The problem here isn't the default settings, the problem is the way you say if the product as a good detection or not. How can you say that ESET didn't detect, for example, 30 files, if the files inside the folder are disinfected? That means they were detected and cleaned, but the files stills there because it doesn't represent a risk.

If you can't understand what I'm saying I don't know another way to explain it :( Maybe someone can explain it better...

The problem here. Is beginner and medium users know about this setting? the cleaning thingy.. the default one I used before this video. You said it wrong.. That the Default tho.. now with this setting is wrong 'again'.
Just wondering, beginner and medium user use default or tweaked settings @MTUser ?

Means ESET should use tweaked settings isnt it? means not for all user then. I said this based what you said before.

Im not ignore any suggestions, i accept all. But my first question you should answer is how about beginner and medium users? we talk about this thing first. answer it

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
You aren't understading me, I really don't know how to explain it better.

I will try:

By default and on strict cleaning too, ESET trys to disinfect some files, ok? Disinfect means the file stills in the folder but the malicious code is removed, so the remaining files are inoffensive. Using default settings isn't the problem, the problem is the way you show the results if you want to use the default options (because they try to disinfect).

Let's see something, do you know if the remaining files inside the folder, on this test, were disinfected? Because if they were, then, ESET detected 100% of the threats inside that folder, do you understand now? The remaining files were cleaned, therefore, their malicious code was removed but the files stills there.

I can't explain myself better, English isn't my native language so I'm having an hard time trying to explain it, but this situation is the same as Kaspersky on your previous test.

Don't understand me wrong man, I'm trying to help you improve your tests because right now people can't see the real result of ESET, Kaspersky or other AV product that have the disinfection activated by default on your videos.

I hope you understand this time, otherwise I don't know how to explain myself better :(

And as I said before, thanks for your work ;)

Reactions: Av Gurus and Ink

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
I know what you mean... and thank you for suggestions

Yes People cant see real results. Then ESET should change that setting then? IF not ESET not for all users.

Think about who beginner and medium tho... Again I said that, based what you said before.

Reactions: frogboy

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
No, ESET doesn't need to change because the files inside the folder aren't harmful anymore, they were disinfected (if they were detected) so their malicious code was removed and they don't represent risk. This apply for all AV's that have the disinfect option.

The remaining files inside that folder don't represent any risk, they aren't infected because they were cleaned (this, of course, if ESET detected them. The problem on your tests is that people can't see if it was detected, because you can't see it by viewing the remaining files inside the folder).

Reactions: Av Gurus

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
No, ESET doesn't need to change because the files inside the folder aren't harmful anymore, they were disinfected (if they were detected) so their malicious code was removed and they don't represent risk. This apply for all AV's that have the disinfect option.

Then why you looks so angry. Look, your comments on this thread. Like you are ESET owner...
I asking to my friends yesterday who using ESET. about that setting. They tell me, they NOT change any setting. Hm...?

Read this, not all computer users like you. Tweak settings to make computer safe. My video isnt about "Best ESET settings"

when we finish this debate? The point you should know, beginner and medium users is USE default setting.

End of story.

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
I'm not angry man, I'm trying to explain something simple to you :eek: (And if your friends are using the default settings they are protected because disinfection protects without deleting the file.)

Default settings works like a charm, the only thing is that you can't evaluate if the remaining files inside the folder were detected and cleaned, or no.

And no man, I'm not angry. And no, I'm not ESET owner, like I said before, this situation is the same as Kaspersky, and like AV Gurus said before, AVG.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Alright, settings of ESET and other security products have different logic so of course for much fair enough make a priority review and conclusion on its different perspectives. Let's do the discussion more friendly.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
@MTUser Disinfecting a file is rarely possible with files other than document files, that we usually see with some MS word document file infections that can be cleaned or disinfected by anti virus software which is not really possible with other file types. I not saying its 100% impossible but rarely able to disinfect other file types if ever.

ESET is a good paid anti virus and it ends there and it had no exclusive special magical ability to only remove the infected code from the file and make the file clean. This inability not only applies to Eset but to every anti virus out there face this limitation.

D

Deleted member 2913

safe1st,

What MTUser is saying -

Ex - 10 malware in a folder. Eset scan disinfected 2 malware & quarantined 6 malware & 2 were not detected.
So Eset actual scan result total is 2 + 6 = Total 8 i.e Eset Total Scan Result 8/10.

But when you check the folder, it will have 4 files...2 disinfected ones & 2 not detected ones...so scan result as per folder will be -
Total 10 malware minus 4 files in folder equal to 6 i.e 6/10.

Default settings doesn't matter here as both ways users are safe i.e if all 8 files are quarantined...users are safe from those 8 files & if 2 files are disinfected & 6 files are quarantined...still users are safe from all 8 files.

Some AVs try to disinfects files first. I think for such test set the action to delete for fair/correct result.

Hope I have not confused further & have tried to make it little clear in a way.

And keep up the good work.

Reactions: frogboy and MTUser

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
safe1st,

What MTUser is saying -

Ex - 10 malware in a folder. Eset scan disinfected 2 malware & quarantined 6 malware & 2 were not detected.
So Eset actual scan result total is 2 + 6 = Total 8 i.e Eset Total Scan Result 8/10.

But when you check the folder, it will have 4 files...2 disinfected ones & 2 not detected ones...so scan result as per folder will be -
Total 10 malware minus 4 files in folder equal to 6 i.e 6/10.

Default settings doesn't matter here as both ways users are safe i.e if all 8 files are quarantined...users are safe from those 8 files & if 2 files are disinfected & 6 files are quarantined...still users are safe from all 8 files.

Some AVs try to disinfects files first. I think for such test set the action to delete for fair/correct result.

Hope I have not confused further & have tried to make it little clear in a way.

And keep up the good work.

look, even you said users are safe.
Then why MTUser starting this debate?
I know the settings right.. But yes as you said Users are safe.

Not ignoring you MTUser and yesnoo. but...

End of story part 2. I dont want typing anything again in this thread. Hope you all understand. If you want me understand what you said above, please understand that my test is based on common users NOT users like you.

D

Deleted member 2913

look, even you said users are safe.
Then why MTUser starting this debate?
I know the settings right.. But yes as you said Users are safe.

Not ignoring you MTUser and yesnoo. but...

End of story part 2. I dont want typing anything again in this thread. Hope you all understand. If you want me understand what you said above, please understand that my test is based on common users NOT users like you.
MTUser starting this debate coz when you compare 2 or more products, the comparison should be fair to the products.

You tested default settings & its fine. I like tests with default settings coz thats products recommended settings.

So your test with default settings is fine but your count of detected & undetected is not fair to Eset. Disinfected should be count as detected here... you can count it undetected if you find disinfected files were still malicious i.e malicious code was still there in disinfected files.

Reactions: MTUser and Av Gurus

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
@safe1st can you please test the following

F Secure Internet Security

GData Internet Security

Trustpost Internet Security

Escan Internet Security

K7 Internet Security

Trend Micro Internet Security

Avast Internet Security ( Aggresive Hardened mode )

Trend Micro Internet Security test already on my channel. Go check it out :)

Reactions: scoob95

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This forum is not the place to request video reviews so please post them in the proper forum here Video Review Requests
All members who post reviews here should expect to get educated replies that you might not agree with.
If you have a problem understanding a members reply to your review then please take this up in a PM and do not continually argue this in the forum.
Moderators will handle the off topic and spam replies by deleting them.
All members especially,members with basic computer knowledge,please take note of the following
Disclaimer:
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. I encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.