Battle AVG vs Avira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsule

Thread author
Jun 3, 2014
Hello MT Community !

This discussion is a discussion about AVG & Avira

If you can please, explain why you choose AVG or Avira :)

Reactions: omidomi
S

starchild76

avg has not got poor detection like malware1 stated , its rather average. its zeroday capabilities are not the greatest and avg depends heavilly on signatures. despite all of this i am a long term user of their product. it whas the firsty av I ever used and i have yet have to become infected with it. it works fine for me :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've used AVG with no complaints (..well, except it used to use high resources years ago and so this may not be the case now). Avira free is still on my XP system, and turned out to be surprisingly good for a free AV! (which is why I chose it).;)
That said, for both our Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 systems we've opted to use the native, Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Defender AVs respectively with Windows Firewall because (IMhO) they give amazingly effective protection. Ultimately, you should go with what you decide you feel fulfills your needs; and the best way to do this is similar to when one buys a car. You test drive them first to figure out which is right for you. Good luck!:D

Last edited:

hakah

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2014
Avira is not bad except it takes longer time on scanning which you have to bear with it. I have used Avira Premium for years and consider she is much better than AVG. The best thing for Avira : there is no pirated keys for Avira so far.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm not going to commit on the detection rate since that is based on the users own actions, just because a product doesn't detect a threat doesn't mean that threat will successfully infect that system that is based on the user.

Avira is lighter but has more false positives and basically no support.
AVG is a bit heavier but has less false positives and good support.

Both are ad-supported.

Better options would be Avast free, MSE or Panda Cloud free.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.