App Review Avira Antivirus Pro vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

garlictaker

Level 1
May 18, 2017
I think trend micro is about the same or even weaker than avira pro. I don't recommend it. It was tested by in MT Hub and I could see it was struggling a lot
I recommend avast free with tweaked settings
or if you are willing to pay, you can choose Kaspersky IS or Emsisoft

EDIT: CF is the best but it may be a bit difficult to use. Try if you like it
other recommendations are more user-friendly

Thank you for your recommendations!

I'm now examining Comodo website.
is CF only av I need? CIS is confusing me.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you for your recommendations!

I'm now examining Comodo website.
is CF only av I need? CIS is confusing me.
try comodo internet security free or comodo firewall
don't download comodo antivirus because it's an useless product

agree with the above post, CIS = CF + antivirus module
the antivirus module is quite weak, weaker or about the same as windows defender

garlictaker

Level 1
May 18, 2017
@LanDude @Evjl's Rain I really appreciate for you guys helping me :)
I'll try CIS then! Thank you so much <3
@Game Of Thrones I feel you, man! At first, I didn't understand why people criticize Avira on forum. bcuz Avira rules every AV tests everytime.
But after watching this video... damn. This video has just proved poor quality of Avira. I can't believe well-known av tests anymore. It's really shame.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Avira must change
img_114861.png
img_170580.png
1317615663001.gif

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Although the user people have been talking about has made some wrong statements in the past. This thread seems to be getting rude. I advise everyone to stick on topic otherwise the thread will most likely be closed. On the actual topic...
I find Avria to be a decent product, there is NO product that has 100% detection rate. Hopefully, the files will be sent to Avira for analysis and they can detect the malicious programs in another update of some kind. My only gripe with Avira is that it can have quite a negative effect on performance. Can't have everything though. :p

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Although the user people have been talking about has made some wrong statements in the past. This thread seems to be getting rude. I advise everyone to stick on topic otherwise the thread will most likely be closed. On the actual topic...
I find Avria to be a decent product, there is NO product that has 100% detection rate. Hopefully, the files will be sent to Avira for analysis and they can detect the malicious programs in another update of some kind. My only gripe with Avira is that it can have quite a negative effect on performance. Can't have everything though. :p
agree. I found avira pro is a very strong product but avira free is not good
avira's cloud is very good but the product seems not upload all files for cloud analysis, to reduce server workload
I suspect avira cloud is similar to zemana, which has multiple engines licensed by metadefender

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
agree. I found avira pro is a very strong product but avira free is not good
avira's cloud is very good but the product seems not upload all files for cloud analysis, to reduce server workload
I suspect avira cloud is similar to zemana, which has multiple engines licensed by metadefender

I tried to explain in wilders security forum that there is indeed a difference between free and pro version, despite what Avira says, but some Avira's funboys immediately started to attack me saying that's not true :rolleyes:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I tried to explain in wilders security forum that there is indeed a difference between free and pro version, despite what Avira says, but some Avira's funboys immediately started to attack me saying that's not true :rolleyes:
I also tried to but the mods deleted my posts/didn't approve for several times so I will never post in that forum anymore :)
they said people don't have a clue but do they have any clue?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Changing from default "Use file extension list" to "All files" would make any protection (cloud analysis) different/better other than using more system resources? View attachment 151093
I don't think so. Files uploaded to the cloud must match certain criterias (we don't know)

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
I also tried to but the mods deleted my posts/didn't approve for several times so I will never post in that forum anymore :)
they said people don't have a clue but do they have any clue?

Yep, funny thing is that they keep reporting Avira's statement that free and pro have the same level of protection. As if that was some kind of evidence.
Personally I believe what I see and not the statement of the av company.

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
At first i didnt wanted to reply, but for me after suspicous file has been found cloud comes in action and kills it..

Also why didnt he show cloud settings ?

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
Changing from default "Use file extension list" to "All files" would make any protection (cloud analysis) different/better other than using more system resources? View attachment 151093
it makes no difference, I tested Avira thoroughly and this option too, it makes no difference about the cloud

Yep, funny thing is that they keep reporting Avira's statement that free and pro have the same level of protection. As if that was some kind of evidence.
Personally I believe what I see and not the statement of the av company.
yeah, I said the same thing in my post related to Avira in Avira section. they should tell people that pro is a really better product. I know it did not defend this sample but Avira pro is a really good product when its cloud hepls it.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
At first i didnt wanted to reply, but for me after suspicous file has been found cloud comes in action and kills it..

Also why didnt he show cloud settings ?
Also in this case, everything is useless: the files were already encrypted.
Like any ransomware attack, the removal of the payload after the beginning of the encryption process, it is absolutely useless thing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.