Battle Avira Browser Safety vs Bitdefender TrafficLight for Anti-Phishing?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am quite familiar with the names Avira and Bitdefender, and to give my Chrome Browser extra protection against phishing and the like, which of these two extensions posted on the Chrome Webstore would you use?

It seems that Avira is being used by over 9 million users. BD a much smaller amount.

However, I have been reading elsewhere, that BD usually offers the best anti-phishing, and malware protection in its products.

If not these, what do you use or recommend?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
It sounds like K9 gets a big thumbs up, followed by Norton Safe Web or Malwarebytes Beta.

Using any of these should be sufficient?

Reactions: Hero7

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It sounds like K9 gets a big thumbs up, followed by Norton Safe Web or Malwarebytes Beta.

Using any of these should be sufficient?
if you use K9, you don't need the others. K9 by default settings is extremely aggressive,it even blocks youtube => you must configure which categories you want it to block. I suggesst the minimal preset + remove "open image / media search"
norton safe web is becoming insufficient lately, no longer recommend it
malwarebytes is quite sufficient but a bit prone to FPs due to its aggressive behavior. You can whitelist if you want

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I would never have thought that K9 would be a great anti-malware program when it is marketed as a child protection program. But I have great regard for you guys of Malware Tips, so I have implemented it.

It was quite difficult to find an older setup file for K9. File Hippo, AfterDawn, and OldVersions didn't have K9. What other websites besides those three keep old versions?

I was able to get a setup file for version 4.4.276 at Getintopc.com (0/68 on Virus Total). I don't know the year of this version. It can't be earlier than 2014 and is probably later than that. It does work on XP.

Before I could configure it, I got two blue screens from the K9 driver. So I went into Safe Mode and took the K9 service off Automatic. Then after rebooting I disabled the Avast Web Shield and the Real Site module. The Avast firewall started acting badly. For a while I couldn't load web pages. I got a message online that I had no connection. But I got past that.

After disabling the Avast modules I was able to then turn on the K9 service and configure K9. It's really strange to be configuring a program online rather than on a GUI. I have to warn people that K9 has a bad tendency to call a correct password incorrect. So far refreshing the page has helped me with that.

I plan first to see if I can get away with re-enabling Avast's Real Site module. If I can then I'll try to re-enable the Avast Web Shield.

Since doing all of this I am obstructed in uploading screenshots from Screenshot Captor to imageshack.com. At first I thought Avast firewall was doing that. Then during one of the thwarted uploads I saw a little black window flash in the lower right corner that said something about HTTPS. I haven't seen one of those windows before, so I figure it's probably K9. (I hate it when a program merely flashes something at me rather than actually showing it to me!) Anybody have any suggestionsabout this problem?

Reactions: Nestor

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.