Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
today I reinstalled avira free 2016, on win10 pro x64.
It seems that the cpu usage is a lot higher than it used to be I am often seeing 6% cpu usage from Avira.
Avira.servicehost is the name of the process I am talking about.
This is on skylake i-5, with a light work load. Aside from windows task manager, I have no other process running that is using a significant amount of cpu.
Isn't 6% cpu too high for an AV running on a modern system?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
today I reinstalled avira free 2016, on win10 pro x64.
It seems that the cpu usage is a lot higher than it used to be I am often seeing 6% cpu usage from Avira.
Avira.servicehost is the name of the process I am talking about.
This is on skylake i-5, with a light work load. Aside from windows task manager, I have no other process running that is using a significant amount of cpu.
Isn't 6% cpu too high for an AV running on a modern system?
Tested on my two i7's (4th and 2nd Generation) and barely uses more than 2% cpu
On my mid end system however, goes up to 5% when basic functions are being performed by Avira, and up to 20% whilst scanning (spikes however).

Reactions: Jack
N

Noxx

If you're up to 15% with AVIRA and not scanning, then your CPU probably isn't very good. 15-20% IMO while scanning is not unreasonable, especially when you're not technically supposed to be doing anything else but casually browsing during that time.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I am browsing internet with that number up to 15% at times ,I have a intel oc'd cpu which is just a few years old ,it is just the way Avira behaves now ,check out there forums ,alot of complaints on this.

Reactions: Noxx
N

Noxx

Might have been a bad update and it's just not working well with certain people's PC's. EMSISOFT seems to go from light to moderate performance back and forth, as well.

H

hjlbx

Might have been a bad update and it's just not working well with certain people's PC's. EMSISOFT seems to go from light to moderate performance back and forth, as well.

Avira made recent changes - so could be a new quirk.

Emsisoft CPU usage should not be spiking either. Once you perform one full system scan, thereafter all that is needed is for File Guard to be enabled. You shouldn't notice Emsisoft at all in the background except for perhaps during a very brief period during updates or scheduled scans.

Both need to be reported on their respective support forums.

N

Noxx

Avira made recent changes - so could be a new quirk.

Emsisoft CPU usage should not be spiking either. Once you perform one full system scan, thereafter all that is needed is for File Guard to be enabled. You shouldn't notice Emsisoft at all in the background except for perhaps during a very brief period during updates or scheduled scans.

Both need to be reported on their respective support forums.

It's just my average PC talking (and internet). EMSISOFT is stupidly light for the amount of protection it provides. The file-guard change is what helped me a lot. And yeah, I imagine it has to be a recent change, because I ran AVIRA on my laptop for months and it ran very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

@shmu26

If you messed with the Avira settings - and set heuristics and other settings to maximum - then even during low-level system usage, Avira real-time protection will tax the CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

BMW325I

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2016
Try 98% usage with nothing installed,with a fresh reformat on windows 10,thats the reason i cant use avira since upgrading to windows 10

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
if you just reinstalled Avira, you should perform full scan first and don't touch the heuristic level (I see no point of increasing heuristic level) just keep it default. the only changes you should make are all types of threat enabled on threats categories setting and also all types of file enabled on scanner and real time settings. I am using the pro version with FW module unchecked, I replaced it with Comodo FW, after running full scan from both, my laptop runs very light, I'm using i5 4th gen, 4gb ram,

BMW325I

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2016
So low heuristics may make me virus bound while downloading torrents and ect?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In the past, I have indeed noticed that Avira was using too much CPU (as compared to other simple AVs), when running on a low-spec system. And I saw others complaining about it on the Avira forum.

BMW325I

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2016
Yea they give no help either,even on there facebook page they told me to call a tech lol

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast or 360 then huh
yes much better
avast with highest tweaking options is still lighter than any AV out there I have tried and it is better than avira at least
360 with HIPS is great against ransomware but may miss some non-ransomware malwares

Reactions: BMW325I and shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.