Avira Free 2016 high CPU usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I find avast to be lightest of all av's out there sometimes cpu spikes but not for long.The only other av to be light like this is Webroot.

Reactions: BMW325I

BMW325I

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2016
yes much better
avast with highest tweaking options is still lighter than any AV out there I have tried and it is better than avira at least
360 with HIPS is great against ransomware but may miss some non-ransomware malwares
thanks,what antimwalware should i run with avast?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
thanks,what antimwalware should i run with avast?
I use avast with voodooshield free or pro in autopilot mode
you can use it with zemana pro with pandora enabled

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Was a long time and happy Avira user for several years some time ago so after some stellar reviews for it recently I thought I'd give it another go. Changed a couple of settings - heuristics to high and updates every two hours. I found it pretty resource heavy - updating maxes out cpu and causes computer to virtually freeze, and the rest of the time there are routine cpu spikes of between 15 to 20% every 15 seconds or so. Reducing heuristics to low didn't help much. I don't recall it having this impact when I used to use it.

ps used alongside Voodooshield and ZAL Pro.

Reactions: Xsjx

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Was a long time and happy Avira user for several years some time ago so after some stellar reviews for it recently I thought I'd give it another go. Changed a couple of settings - heuristics to high and updates every two hours. I found it pretty resource heavy - updating maxes out cpu and causes computer to virtually freeze, and the rest of the time there are routine cpu spikes of between 15 to 20% every 15 seconds or so. Reducing heuristics to low didn't help much. I don't recall it having this impact when I used to use it.

ps used alongside Voodooshield and ZAL Pro.
I want to help you first step Can you post a screenshot of your settings and Ram cpu... usage?

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
thnx a lot for the help, much appreciated, but I really can't be bothered to troubleshoot it. I'll probably just return to Panda:). Much lighter on this machine.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
thnx a lot for the help, much appreciated, but I really can't be bothered to troubleshoot it. I'll probably just return to Panda:). Much lighter on this machine.
I should use Avira as its Lighter than Panda ( Norrmally MUNCH lighter but if you dont want it your choice ;)

Reactions: uninfected1

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Did you consider average CPU usage? If a task is being done, commonly accepted value is lower than 50-60% to avoid overheating.
example : 100% usage is normal if average is lower than 60%.

ctrlz

Level 2
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
on my PC Avira is slow, the fan become very loud :(
sad because I always used on other pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.