Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What is the problem about investop and avira? i don,t get it
The problem is that we don't know what this will do for Avira.
Most recent buys were not good for the bought party.
So, another AV would be a safer choice now.
Personally, I would never use Avira because of its launcher and Mixpanel tracking in its extension, but that's another subject.

HunterKhajiit

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
The problem is that we don't know what this will do for Avira.
Most recent buys were not good for the bought party.
So, another AV would be a safer choice now.
Personally, I would never use Avira because of its launcher and Mixpanel tracking in its extension, but that's another subject.
okey, new things to think about. thank you for clearing it for me :)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It would be nice to see Avira free in our malwarehub.
But it lacks with a behavior blocker and i dont know how their called "sensor detection" works.
Avira is primarily a signatured based AV so you should pair it with VS or OSA.
You're right. I tried it for quite some time. The results I had were not bad. If you installed it without bloadware is very light program.For older computers and laptops it is perfect. Have every two hours update , and works perfect without problems on ram and cpu. Against virus samples it's pretty good. But against ransomware is poor the protection. But combo with VS is realy unbeatable :)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I tested Avira last year in the Hub...

found it :)

i believe there is no big difference between free and pro version....so the result is mediocre

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Bitdefender, although it is less configurable.

It doesn't seem but has more modules and proactive detection than Avira.

None. Kaspersky Security Cloud Free or Avast Free. Both light with more protection and features.
At least on my system, Bitdefender seems lighter than Kaspersky on everyday usage but indeed consumes more RAM.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
hey

Avira free vs Bitdefender free edition 2020 in terms of protection and overall performance ?

in my system bitdefender eats nearly 400mb ram all the time!

Have nice day :)
this means little to me in a comparison, unless you give me the ram used by avira on your system as well - so i can compare them :)

Voodoo shield is a very good choice 👍.
As long as you can stand a few alerts.
it's been a long time since i tried avira, but i recall i abandoned it because it wouldn't let me install "other" supplementary security programs, such as voodoo shield. does avira allow this now? bitdefender can be a jerk in this regards as well, heheh, but was more liberal than avira.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Curious. Why not do the testing yourself ? :unsure:
the comment i replied to (seemed to me) to be vague (and i may have misinterpreted its intention do to that nebulousness), but it gave the insinuation that one product was better than the other based on personal ram usage, yet it did not explicitly state this (hence my query). i took his comment to mean that he had already done the comparison and had simply forgotten to mention avira's ram usage (opting instead to only mention the winner by pointing out the losers large ram usage). yet i may have misread him, and he may have only been posting bitdefender's ram (on his system) in the hopes that others would post their ram usage for comparison. if the former, one is saying a product is better than the other without offering the proof. if the latter, one is not stating bias, but instead contributing data that would be compiled (in this thread) with other user data to compare and discern which product was superior (based on that particular metric).

Last edited:

avstor

Level 1
Jun 6, 2020
the comment i replied to (seemed to me) to be vague (and i may have misinterpreted its intention do to that nebulousness), but it gave the insinuation that one product was better than the other based on personal ram usage, yet it did not explicitly state this (hence my query). i took his comment to mean that he had already done the comparison and had simply forgotten to mention avira's ram usage (opting instead to only mention the winner). yet i may have misread him, and he may have only been posting bitdefender's ram (on his system) in the hopes that others would post their ram usage for comparison. if the former, one is saying a product is better than the other without offering the proof. if the latter, one is not stating bias, but instead contributing data that would be compiled (in this thread) with other user data to compare and discern which product was superior (based on that particular metric).

It's really hard to know what people mean using online communications. The comms are devoid of so many details, such as intent, let alone facts. I'd argue that the vast majority of posts of more than a few words are misread or misinterpreted. The context is all missing.

Everybody thinks they know what the person's intent was or what they were thinking. Truth is, 99.99% of the time they're wrong. We all do it. It's just endemic to digital communications.

Good day to you.

Reactions: ChoiceVoice

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
this means little to me in a comparison, unless you give me the ram used by avira on your system as well - so i can compare them :)

it's been a long time since i tried avira, but i recall i abandoned it because it wouldn't let me install "other" supplementary security programs, such as voodoo shield. does avira allow this now? bitdefender can be a jerk in this regards as well, heheh, but was more liberal than avira.
Avira free with syshardener and Bitdefender traficlight is enough safe if you are not happy clicker. Is very light if you install it without bloadware.
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.