App Review Avira Free Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Hi all,

Avira Free has been highly requested so here it is:

Thanks for watching, more videos coming this weekend!

Wowhoaaaa! THX!

One thing to Why didnt any alert for Cloud protection?
Normally if i test Everything gets like blocked by cloud...
Strange...

Also normally you can click Remove then it gets done Munch faster ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
Thanks for the review! :D I wonder if Pro version would have made any different result.
993d9ea7b9df8770744a8e90e201d090f0e60c21a15bbd9af3e6a9beee213533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Wowhoaaaa! THX!

One thing to Why didnt any alert for Cloud protection?
Normally if i test Everything gets like blocked by cloud...
Strange...

Also normally you can click Remove then it gets done Munch faster ;)
No problem, thanks for watching :D Also I'm not sure - were you testing Avira Free or Pro? I was using default settings like I said.

Very good review as usual @MalwareBlockerYT (I wish more reviewers would/could add a commentary instead of music). Any chance of testing the latest version of Panda free?
Thank you ;) Panda Free is on my list & should be coming soon since it's been highly requested!

Thanks for the review! :D I wonder if Pro version would have made any different result.
993d9ea7b9df8770744a8e90e201d090f0e60c21a15bbd9af3e6a9beee213533.jpg
No problem, thanks for watching! Avira Pro has a few extra features, but will use the same signatures so it shouldn't perform much better in terms of detection/prevention.

A good results in terms of signatures but they clearly need to work on their behavioural blocking and anti-ransomware module.
Indeed & I completely agree - they actually had extremely good signatures considering how new the samples I used were.

Nice review @MalwareBlockerYT
Nice results but it seems to me that Avira is not improving their product as much as other security brands (Kas, BD, Sym..), anyway it's a nice option.
Thanks & I would agree - although at least they fixed up their awful installer which forced you to download their utilities.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
You shouldn't judge an antivirus usage of ram on an infected pc it is misleading, ram usage should be judge on a clean pc which will give a more stable result.

Avira free an avira pro are different and will give different results they are not like avast free an avast pro.

True, but not by much & I normally try to look at the RAM before the PC is infected.

Also I'm pretty sure they use the same signatures just one has a cloud lookup & more features/components?

I am thinking the same thing.
I would like to see a test of the Pro version since as @Xsjx has mentioned that Avira has now some new prevention technology like BB.
@MalwareBlockerYT thanks for the review

A test of the Pro version will be uploaded eventually, but I have to keep repeating the same thing: 18 hours of revision a week, daily coursework, daily school work, other activities & still people expect me to release the videos.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
True, but not by much & I normally try to look at the RAM before the PC is infected.

Also I'm pretty sure they use the same signatures just one has a cloud lookup & more features/components?

A test of the Pro version will be uploaded eventually, but I have to keep repeating the same thing: 18 hours of revision a week, daily coursework, daily school work, other activities & still people expect me to release the videos.

The cloud is the strongest component in Avira ;)

But i know it hard :)
Hopefully u get one time more time to make vids :)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
bad result in my opinion...other free av's have more protection layers or components.

i see avira free like windows defender...basic protection and not anymore
Actually No Amico it scores in many test munch better than Emsisoft ;)
But i shouldnt say anything about ~Avira has won product of the year` so i dont gonna talk about it ;)

But the best part is it has 11 Engines in the cloud ;)
And it has The best heuristics
I cant say anything about the bb blocker :p ( Beta for pro version )

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
i would like to see these tests where avira is better than emsisoft ;-)

or do you mean av-test and av-comparatives?
Yes, This time is Avira a bit low i asked Def and that was they are trying to implent some new technolgies and it nothing to worry about its gets fixed soon ;)

Anyways i used Emsisoft for a long time but couldnt handle the false positives..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.