App Review Avira Free Security 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Avira Free test!
Avira is a German company, leader in security.
Very well known and appreciated, it has evolved during its existence.
Despite the fact that the Free Security version installs useless software (cleaning, privacy, VPN etc.) without the possibility to choose, Avira remains a reference.

The interface is very simple and in Dark Mode!
On the other hand, when I go to the settings of the antivirus, the interface changes... Mystery.
I installed Avira Browser Safety and Avira Shopping for the test which provide a web protection.

Well, Avira surprised me!
Avira blocked all my Phishing links and all my URLs thanks to its extension!

On the pack, Avira leaves 200, but no malware can be launched !
We can see the formidable Cloud AI Machine Learning of Avira, which is the best AI Machine Learning on the market for me, just like Microsoft Defender.

Avira makes a machine healthy, just a small non-active remnant at the end, easily removable.

Avira has also made great efforts on optimization, it has become lightweight.

Avira is recommendable, congrats!

RAM Usage : Light
Phishing Test : 5/5 (all detected)
Malware URL test : 10/10 (all detected)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 201 out of 1775 files. Avira blocks all threats at runtime with APC

Result :
- Avira : 0
- Hitman Pro : 1 (not activeà
- NPE : 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Did it ever install?
Broken installation with M$Defender still running ...
Time will tell how Norton ruins it. 😢
... now uninstalled because I won't use something like this that breaks completely on the first try. I'll stick with M$D.

This reminds me of Sophos after the major integration of HitmanPro, etc., which also failed like this. The same with Brave when it was built on Muon, which seems like light years ago.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Tried it for few days, when they announced avira crypto ( was not available in eu yet )

downsides are the web filtering is done by browser extension, firewall configure it just opens windows firewall settings, skywalker does not fit in the ui of avira & it kinds of looks like childs playtoy in overall

Signature based its fine , cant say anything about lightness of software as i ran into fps problems while playing fullscreen games

Maybe i give it another try someday , video makes it look like great tthing

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I currently use F-Secure which run very light on my system, would you says Avira run just as light as F-Secure I like FS just DeepGuard is beginning to bug me with it's FP blocking games etc.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
After thinkin this little bit more and seeing you ' promote avira free over kaspersky and avast/avg

some plus about avira:
- Avira free is currently software wich is pretty much install & forget
- it does not do any https scanning as it rely on web extension. But usually most new phishing/ malware urls are often firstly found by eset, avira , netcraft . As adguard user its dream team
- Apc is stronger than avast/avg signatures? avast aggressive mode do prone alot of false positives aswell

Problem it was running heavier on my system was because i had core isolation enabled

@oldschool did you get it running after having little problems with installation?

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I tried Avira Antivirus Pro for a day.

Trash. Shovelware worse than a lot of the threats it purports to protect you from.
To say that Avira is a garbage can is discriminatory...
What's wrong with you?
On computers where I have installed it (including my work PC), I have not had any problems....

Explain yourselves instead of holding hasty conclusions :)

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I have tested the IS version for a month. No issues with it. The only annoying thing is there VPNclient. There is no option to uninstall it. Protection wise it was not that bad. The behavior blocker and web protection are the weaker parts.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I have tested the IS version for a month. No issues with it. The only annoying thing is there VPNclient. There is no option to uninstall it. Protection wise it was not that bad. The behavior blocker and web protection are the weaker parts.

For the Web protection I confirm, but you can install Avira Browser Safety which has reinforced it :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.