Advice Request Avira Identity Scanner (is it any good ?)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi-

I was sent a spam email by Avira today, even though I opted out of all their marketing !

However, it was advertising an apparently new service called identity scanner. It is a subscription service which apparently moniors the Internet to investigate whether your credentials have been stolen or are for sale etc. The details are here: https://www.avira.com/en/avira-identity-scanner

I quite like the concept of this, even though Avira are not my favourite security company. If it works, I could see it being a useful warning system. It also promises to try and delete your profile from parts of the Internet.

Does anyone have any remarks, or see the value in this service ?

Cheers.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Does anyone have any remarks, or see the value in this service ?
They consider an email as personal data, so I think that their service is going the same way, like blocking trackers. But lets say, that they will find some of your real personal data stolen, like the date of birth or a credit card number, how is it going to help you? That is the question. :unsure:

I pay $1 per month for an insurance against identify theft, which covers some losses and provides an attorney. I would pay 10 times more. :coffee:

I'd suggest giving Have I Been Pwned a look-see before spending your money on this.
They actually provide the email scan for free and you will receive an email with some info ASAP.

Attachments

• capture_08292018_231703.jpg
    capture_08292018_231703.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 676
Reactions: AtlBo

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
They actually provide the email scan for free and you will receive an email with some info ASAP.
That's good at least. I'd assume their email scan uses the same list of breaches as Identify Safeguard from their mobile antivirus (which is also free) so it'd make sense. Still, I see no reason to use it; HIBP has hundreds more breaches indexed including all the ones Avira already has currently.

I can't comment on their online monitor/cleaner though, obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.