Q&A Avira is building its new engine.

marcopaone

Level 5
Verified
Jul 15, 2016
Hello Marco,

Thanks for joining Avira Security for Windows - Project: Guardian.

Avira Security is all you need to protect your privacy and explore fast and safely today’s digitally connected world. With just one click you can scan your complete system for security, privacy and performance issues. Plus, now you'll be able to access and enable all Avira services from one single place.
This test will focus on our updated and improved antivirus protection features:

• Our brand-new scan engine and real-time protection
  • Our advanced web protection
We are interested in the following aspects:

• Technical stability: Finding bugs and unexpected behavior
  • User-friendliness: Evaluating ease of use

Avira is building its new engine.
Little is known at the moment, but I understand they want to introduce behaviour blocker along with the new engine.
What do you expect? Possible changes in the near future after NortonLifeLock's acquisition of Avira?

Sadly I can't test it because I don't have time :(

Anthony Qian

Level 3
Apr 17, 2021
I've tested it.

The scan engine has not changed a lot. The Luke Filewalker has disappeared, the HTTPS scanning has been added and the setting interface has changed. The behavior blocker and contextual scan are said to be added in the future version.

Also, I noticed performance issues during testing.

Last edited:

peterfat111

Level 8
Mar 25, 2021
I have a werid feeling about this look at the bars
1629381232744.png

Random norton screen shot
1629381264835.png

Antimalware18

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2014
I wouldnt mind giving the new avira a try after its been released, a few things would have to change though. Like that god awful scanning after a detection. It was always very slow on any machine I ever tried Avira on.

Edit: Also I'm interested in how many of these new features will be included in the free version. Knowing Avira's track record probably not many, if any at all. But I wonder if norton will play a part in decisions on what to add.

Last edited:
Reactions: geminis3