Advice Request Avira is building its new engine.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

marcopaone

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
Hello Marco,

Thanks for joining Avira Security for Windows - Project: Guardian.

Avira Security is all you need to protect your privacy and explore fast and safely today’s digitally connected world. With just one click you can scan your complete system for security, privacy and performance issues. Plus, now you'll be able to access and enable all Avira services from one single place.
This test will focus on our updated and improved antivirus protection features:

• Our brand-new scan engine and real-time protection
  • Our advanced web protection
We are interested in the following aspects:

• Technical stability: Finding bugs and unexpected behavior
  • User-friendliness: Evaluating ease of use

Avira is building its new engine.
Little is known at the moment, but I understand they want to introduce behaviour blocker along with the new engine.
What do you expect? Possible changes in the near future after NortonLifeLock's acquisition of Avira?

Sadly I can't test it because I don't have time :(

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I've tested it.

The scan engine has not changed a lot. The Luke Filewalker has disappeared, the HTTPS scanning has been added and the setting interface has changed. The behavior blocker and contextual scan are said to be added in the future version.

Also, I noticed performance issues during testing.

Last edited:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I have a werid feeling about this look at the bars
1629381232744.png

Random norton screen shot
1629381264835.png

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I wouldnt mind giving the new avira a try after its been released, a few things would have to change though. Like that god awful scanning after a detection. It was always very slow on any machine I ever tried Avira on.

Edit: Also I'm interested in how many of these new features will be included in the free version. Knowing Avira's track record probably not many, if any at all. But I wonder if norton will play a part in decisions on what to add.

Last edited:

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
You are right. Avira is going to update its engine later this year.

We want to inform you about a substantial update of our Virus Definition Files (VDF) on Wednesday, December 1st. 2021.
By optimizing our database and the extended use of machine learning, the file sizes can be reduced while the local detection rate is kept on the same high level. As a result, this will lead to a reduction of over more than 49 MB in the total size of the components. Soon the update has been completed, the new total size will be 71 MB, improving the initialization time and memory consumption.

We expect an update delta size of approximately 17 MB. The pattern files XBV000 - XBV005 will remain untouched, all other components will be updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.