Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Security company Avira, best know for its antivirus products, launched Privacy Pal yesterday which promises to reveal privacy issues on Windows, prevent (select) tracking on the device, and remove digital traces it finds from the system. Think of CCleaner meets a Windows 10 Privacy tool.

Avira Privacy Pal is a free software program that you may download from the company website. The program is available for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and newer versions of the operating system including Windows 10.
Read more: Avira Privacy Pal first look - gHacks Tech News

Last edited by a moderator:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
It's worth a look. I tried it out today.

I'll stick to CCleaner for the selective cookie cleaning and general browser cleaning, because Privacy Pal browser cleaning is a bit aggressive, and non-selective, so it can clean out 1st party cookies you may want to keep.

It takes some digging to find them but the 'Expert View' page, but that's the best part!

• OS: Stops Microsoft from experimenting with your Windows installation as it studies user preferences
  • User: Keeps Windows from tracking app launches and shuts out Cortana from accessing your location
  • Apps: Disables Windows Store apps running in the background from sending or receiving information
  • Browser: Disables web tracking and the ability to easily identify the current user over the internet
  • Network: Hides your computer from other devices on the network

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are there benefits for Privacy Pal by registering with Avira?
Is registration optional?

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
It's worth a look. I tried it out today.

I'll stick to CCleaner for the selective cookie cleaning and general browser cleaning, because Privacy Pal browser cleaning is a bit aggressive, and non-selective, so it can clean out 1st party cookies you may want to keep.

It takes some digging to find them but the 'Expert View' page, but that's the best part!

• OS: Stops Microsoft from experimenting with your Windows installation as it studies user preferences
  • User: Keeps Windows from tracking app launches and shuts out Cortana from accessing your location
  • Apps: Disables Windows Store apps running in the background from sending or receiving information
  • Browser: Disables web tracking and the ability to easily identify the current user over the internet
  • Network: Hides your computer from other devices on the network

Update: I uninstalled Privacy Pal after having a look around. This product is too opaque for me, but I have nothing against Avira as a company. Their privacy policy seems acceptable.

Reactions: MWTHelper

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Source: Q&A - Norton Security - Web Guard: Is it any good?

If you don't want Avira Launcher, don't use Privacy Pal.

I use Avira Pro as my AV, and I have learned to put up with the launcher. Although it is a bit silly, and seems unnecessary.

And I understand that some folks cannot stand it, and I get that, but it really doesn't use much system resources.

But for me the things that really matter most are that Avira is not based in a five-eyes country, Five Eyes - Wikipedia , but rather in Germany, and it consistently scores as well as Kaspersky and Bitdefender do in 3rd party AV tests.

Plus their Privacy policy seems reasonable, as well. You could do worse!

Bottom line I do think that this new Privacy product has potential to manage the flaws in Windows 10 privacy, but needs better controls and documentation, before it's ready for prime time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWTHelper
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.